Hong Kong Tai Wan Hotel
$239
Hotels.com
$106
$97
Cordis, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
$234
$166
  • Pool
Regal Riverside Hotel(Hong Kong)
$109
$279
$182
Hotel ICON Official Website
  • Pool
The Royal Garden(Hong Kong)
$138
$107
Agoda.com
$143
$136
Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
$97
$71
Hotel Direct
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Arrived at the front and immediately got bombarded by people trying to sell accommodation even though we already had it. Then had to walk through a cage to get to the hotel, got in a tiny lift which didnt even stop off at the floor, had to walk two flights of steps to get to the place. Arrived at the floor and it was dirty and smelly. Then to top it off the hotel owner had said we had cancelled our booking! Probably a good thing because we didnt have to see the room! Terrible!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank jjhbruvvaa
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We stayed here because we had to book a room last minute. We only stayed one night and then moved to another hotel in the same building, which was both cheaper and had bigger rooms.
I would not recommend this place for your stay in Hong Kong, you can find better places.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank aloyevaar
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Probably the worst place I've ever stayed, thank God there were only two nights!!! Vulgar and rude staff, the room was EXTREMELY small, surely less than six square meters (including "bathroom"!) for two people - CRAZY. It was equipped with window - when I opened there were only corridor betweend buildings outside, with a lot of dirty and smelly pipes, and few rats gazing at me. The worst part of the show were bedbugs. Tons of bedbugs. After first night I was badly beaten all over my body and face, the second I spend on a flood (which was almost impossible in such a small room). The only positive thing about this awful place is the location. But honestly - I'll rather sleep on the street than in this dirty hole again. Seriously.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank DashPL
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I stayed at this place a while back and it still stands out as one of my worst hostel experiences ever.

I originally booked a 4 bed female dorm on hostelworld.com (because of the excellent reviews on there--I'll get to that in just a minute) but when I arrived I was put in a closet (no I'm not exaggerating) with no bathroom, no window, and a male roommate. The next night I was moved to the female room but the ensuite bathroom had a broken toilet and no shower. The third (and thankfully final) night, two males were moved into my "female only" room. The rooms looked nothing like the pictures on the website.

There were many other bad things about this place as you can see from the other reviews. It's a shame, because Hong Kong is one of the greatest places in the world.

So you might wonder: if this place is so bad, why do they have such a high rating on hostelworld.com? I was wondering the same thing until I was about to leave. Because I was taking a night bus into China, I asked the owner if I could leave my backpack at the hostel. She told me that it would cost 50 HK dollars but that she would make an exception for me and let me leave my bag with them for free if I left a positive review on the hostelworld website (on their computer while they watched me, of course). I said yes even though I REALLY didn't want to. I came back later that day. Luckily, the luggage security was so bad that I was able to take my backpack while the owner was helping another customer, so I managed to get out without being forced to write a good review.

If money is really tight, you'd probably fare better sleeping on the benches at the airport or train station. Otherwise, just spend the extra money for another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank sunnykath
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Right, I've read the reviews and although most of them give opinions and winged a lot, I'm going to give you facts. Just facts..
The location is excellent. Right in the shopping area of Nathan Road, you don't get better. Yes, it's in the infamous ChungKing Mansion and there are plenty of touts. The hotel advise you of this and give very detailed instructions on how to get there, which are easy to follow. If you are going to chat to a tout and end up being conned this is not the hotels fault, it's yours!
The rooms are small.If you are planning on spending a lot of time in your room other then sleeping then stay somewhere else, although this will be more expensive. If you're just using it to sleep and store stuff then it's fine.
I did not see the dorms, so cannot comment.
The shared bathroom is tiny, but functional and reasonably clean.
THIS IS NOT A FAMILY HOSTEL! (characters hanging round can look dodgy, but apart from offering you watches, they seem to have little interest in you) The slow lifts downstairs can be worked around by the stairs in the alley on the left of the building.

2  Thank GemJayBC