“Good hotel but far from town areas”
Review of Royal View Hotel

Royal View Hotel
Ranked #109 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The room is big, clean and with a great view. However, the hotel is located too far from town areas. By taking hotel shuttle bus, we took about 20 mins to 30 mins from the hotel to Tsuen Wan MTR station. It took another 30 mins by MTR to the attractions/town/shopping areas.. Everyday we have wasted at least 2 hours in the transportation and end up we have missed many places that we plan to go. No restaurant or eating areas nearby the hotel, had to travel out for local breakfast and dinner. Highly not recommend if you want to feel night life or shopping in Hong Kong.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank ppng
Rvh_Hk, Public Relations Manager at Royal View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Royal View Hotel. We are looking forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

It's practically impossible to get long-stay apartment reviews that I decided I will write one. We stayed in a studio for 1 month, Feb to March 2013. The studio has cooking facilities (hot plate and microwave oven), cutlery and crockery, and a good-sized fridge. Housekeeping is twice a week which includes bed linen change. We found the complimentary shuttle bus service very reliable - used it everyday. I bought an annual pass to Disneyland HK, knowing that I can get to Disneyland easily and so can go there as often as I like (will go again in Jan to Feb 2014 before my annual pass expires). I would give a 5-stars review if there's a tv guide - there's cable tv but without a tv guide I never get to watch a movie from the beginning. One more thing, the bed is very hard.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janice L
Rvh_Hk, Public Relations Manager at Royal View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at Royal View Hotel Hong Kong for 3 nights, the room was very clear and perfect. Some people might find the room a little small, but i can live with it. The lobby is a little crowded. And no one even comes to pick our baggage, that's not good. Apart from this, we didnt have any concerns. If you are a non-smoker - please request before hand for a non-smoking room. The other thing is its at-least 30-40 mins away from the city - which is pain because you don't have any food options near-by. You have to finish you tour at the city and make sure you have dinner before you get back to the hotel. The bathroom had all the amenities required for a comfortable stay. Overall a great place.

Room Tip: There are smoking and non-smoking rooms, make sure you request appropriately while making the bookin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharath_24
Rvh_Hk, Public Relations Manager at Royal View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I travelled with my wife and my daughter to visit my daughter and my son-in-law in Hong Kong.
My son-in-law helped us arrange our accommodation three nights at this hotel, and I would like to share some of experiences at this hotel.
1st night:
a. My wife said the mattress was too soft when comparing to Hyatt Regency Shatin Hotel.
b. My son-in-law thought the TV was old fashion and the image was so blurry and unclear
c. My son-in-law did not like the lobby, because we had to stand and wait 10 to 15 for a
taxi at the lobby. They did not have any chairs for my wife who has leg problems.
d. They could not even tell us how we could store our luggages at Concierge around 1am after checking-in at the hotel. Our family had to wait another day for the concierge staff.
e. The shower was terrible, because there was no water coming out when I was trying to wash my nose. Water could come out if the shower head was up side down. For people like me having nose allergies have terrible to get use to the shower system.
2nd night:
a. My wife and I discovered that the mattress cover and pillow case had stains.
b. On the pillow case, there was some grey colour stain and brown yellow colour stain on the mattress cover.
Check-out day
a. Front desk officer helped me check out my room and cancel my credit card authorisation holds, but they did not ask to swipe my credit card. Instead, they stamped "cancelled" on the copy of my authorisation slip. Nevertheless, I have not yet received my credit back. The procedure was quite different from the places where I traveled, (Europe, USA, Taiwan and China).
b. After checking out the room, we stored two luggages at lobby to pick up at around 4pm, so that we could do some more shopping in Hong Kong. We returned hotel to pick up our luggages. As there was any sitting space for us to put our souvenirs inside our luggages, we found a place in Lobby away from the walkway and started packing our staff. Likewise, my daughter would like to change her contact lens to regular glasses, because she did not feel comfortable with her lens. Later, a concierge staff member told us to move our luggage little bit, so that we weren't blocking the entrance. After a minute or two, we moved out luggages away from the door. Suddenly a hotel staff, Mr. Alex Yuen approached me and point to my belt and started yelling not to adjust my belt at the lobby. Firstly, there was not enough space at the restroom for me to adjust my belt and my pants. Secondly, there was not anybody walking around that area. Thirdly, I was not happy not because of adjusting my belt at the lobby and it was because the way he presented was impolite, rude and pointing finger at me. Later it was so funny that they showed us a group lounge to pack our luggage, but we had to walk through a very dark undecorated corridor to get there. We were afraid that it used to be an employee area. We decided to leave the hotel immediately and asked to speak to the general manager, but he was not in his office. Normally, hotel general manager or director of rooms stayed in the hotel to handle emergencies. Mr. Oscar Chan, Guest Service Manager told us that they were not at the office. My daughter even did not have time to change her glasses. The Lobby was very bad in design. No sitting space was provided. No chairs were provided on our requests.
We were trying not to complain and to tolerate the service provided, however the front office staff, especially Mr Alex Yuen stimulate my emotions and bad experiences at this hotel. I hope that your management will review your staff attitude and communication skills. Also I may take further step to write a complain to Tourism Board and Consumer Council. I will send all my messages to all my relatives and friends in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and U.S.A. not to choose your hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank tungwd2013

Thank you for staying at the Royal View Hotel. We have carefully studied your valuable comments and will take appropriate actions to rectify the problems you mentioned. In order to avoid similar case happen again, we will review, closely monitor and upgrade our service immediately. We are looking forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

location is in the middle of nowhere so you need to take a cab or take their shuttle service to bring you to the nearest mtr station...pretty inconvenient. However, this hotel is very near a lovely beach and has a mountain view. The breakfast is so-so. Service is okay. Service staff don't look very eager to assist, but at least they answer your queries.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mayetski

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great value for money. Rooms are clean and window view is great. A little bit far from main attractions but taxis and hotel shuttle are available.We had a sumptous buffet breakfast. What i really love about the hotel is it is very peaceful and quite. We had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank wanderlusttravelbyan
Rvh_Hk, Public Relations Manager at Royal View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Reviewed July 20, 2013

After studying for a year abroad in China, when coming home there were no connecting flights the same day from another area of China, so had to find a hotel for the night in Hong Kong. As a student I was looking for a cheap but manageable hotel where I could stay the night before my final flight home, however this was the second cheapest. The hotel was around £80 for the night, I suppose a standard price for a decent hotel but I was swayed by the "only a 20 minute bus journey away from Hong Kong International Airport". Upon arrival at Hong Kong Airport, it seems no buses or MTR's run directly to the hotel, and a taxi will cost around 200+ Hong Kong Dollars. After a bus, MTR and short taxi journey, I arrived at the hotel for a cut price, but stressful, 80 HKD.

The hotel itself seemed quite grand but quite in need of refurbishment from the outside. No one was waiting to open the door for you or take your luggage, but i was just happy to have made it to the hotel. After a short wait at reception - the hotel seems constantly busy with large groups staying in the hotel - I showed all the necessary documents for my room, but I was unaware that VISA debit cards cannot be used for the deposit, something to watch out for if you're not carrying much cash on you and don't have a credit card.

I eventually got to my room and must say I was hugely impressed. Everything looked very modern and clean, with my own kitchen, bathroom, study area and double bed, as well as an amazing view over this area of Hong Kong. However, wired Internet in my room would cost 120 HKD per 10 hour slot, which I refused, but there is free wifi in the lobby. I then went for a walk outside to take some pictures - I took some of the huge, impressive bridges nearby but otherwise felt completely isolated. I didn't know where I could go, what I could do or generally how I could amuse myself. It seems the nearest area to go to for food etc is around a 5 minute taxi journey away, something I didn't want to do later on at night, so instead went to the hotel shop - selling drinks, different foods, it was good enough for one night to survive on. However, as with many places in Hong Kong, those attempting to use Chinese RMB will struggle in this situation - many places will only accept 50 or 100 RMB notes as they regularly encounter " a lot of fakes" among the lower currency notes, something I now highly doubt but it is in fact an easier way to make money - the hotel was willing to exchange my RMB for HKD but at a 1 for 1 rate, so I would definitely recommend getting some money exchanged at the airport before going to the hotel!

I finally sat down with my hefty cup noodle and the kettle didn't work, and after spending many failed minutes trying to work out how to use the phone in my room, I went downstairs to the desk again and told them I needed someone to come immediately and fix it, which admittedly they did, within 5 minutes. One of those working on the desk also prepared me a wake up call for the morning and answered any questions I had regarding transport, eating out etc, but still I cannot say the service felt friendly or hugely approachable. I waited at the desk on one occasion with two members of staff not even acknowledging me but knowing I was there, something I never appreciate.

I slept extremely well, albeit I was extremely worn out from the day's events, but the double bed and shower were both brilliant. I hadn't paid for the morning breakfast which of course was something else you had to pay a small fee for, but got a taxi the following morning - there were two waiting outside the hotel doors for anyone who needed them, and overall the 200 HKD were worth it after the stressful experience the previous day.

Overall, I would say that the hotel is very well designed and decorated and I was very impressed with my room, but the isolation from any other areas and the reasonably unfriendly customer service, especially for such a price, meant that I was quite disappointed with the hotel. I would definitely suggest going for a slightly more expensive hotel which has the transport to the airport included, as overall it may work out cheaper!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Manderson352
Rvh_Hk, Public Relations Manager at Royal View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Royal View Hotel. We are appreciated for your valuable comment regarding the service at our hotel. We are looking forward to serving you in the future.