“Good Experience with Yiufai GH”

and 1 more site!
New Yiu Fai Guest House
Ranked #21 of 263 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 12, 2011

The price is affordable to think its right smack at the city center. MRT is just a few steps away from the hostel. Theres a security person right by the elevator so you will feel secure. Raymond, the owner is very accommodating. Some might not like the bed because its quite hard but once you lay on it, it is not so bad at all. We didn't really had any inconvenience or issues with this hostel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wreckxki
There are newer reviews for New Yiu Fai Guest House

Reviewed February 26, 2011

Found this hotel from trip advisor. And we book 2 double bed with bathroom, via email straight to Raymond, the owner. It's simple. And the room is just as we expected. Small, standard, very great location, hard bed and nice host.

Pros :
- Location is great! MTR across the street. Kowloon ferry terminal is only 15 minutes easy walk. You can take a bus to Jordan & Mongkok and arrive just a couple of building to Yiu fai.
- Room is not equal big. Me & my husband got the bigger room than my friend. Ours is spacious, clean (with a very nice lady clean it up every morning), with a big bathroom (you don't need to take a shower near the toilet). But my friend's rooms is a little bit smaller (incl. the bathroom)
- If you're a budget traveler, it's a bingo. There's a fridge, hot/cold water, laundry detergent, iron, hairdryer, all of basic need.
- What I liked most was, I left a stuff to my cousin at Yiu fai. And Patrick, without fuse kept it for almost 3 days, and they can pick it up anytime.
- The bed is definitely hard, small & not for a comfy style. But, strange thing you slept like a baby after a whole day bustle, and woke up without back hurt.
- It's a quite a safe environment, there's a security & camera at the building. You got your own keys & security number to enter the guesthouse. So far, we arrived always midnite and felt secure.

Cons :
- The wall is very thin. I stayed for 4 nite. And the first 2 nite is rather disturbed. My neighbour is a group of Hongkongers, and they talked like there are nobody around them. But because of too tired, I let it go.
- The lift is definitely small!! Well, it's Hongkong, but we're kinda suprise that it's only fit 4 of us, with our luggage, it's cramped!
- The bed is small, well again...it's Hongkong! If you're big or tall, better ask for a double bed for yourself.

For the price we paid, and the activity whole day, and most of all we're not planning to relaxed at hotel. Yiu Fai guesthouse is definitely worth.

But if you're not used to stay at cheap place, with a standard cleanness & decoration. Better paid higher for 3 star hotels.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank kefalove
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Raymond, the manager, and Patrick, his right-hand, were friendly, accommodating, and speak impeccable English, so you can discuss your issues easily. But there was no issue. The double room we reserved was spacious, really. I got much more space for my cheap budget than if I blew my budget on a hotel, regardless of star rating. The bath was also roomy, plus the room we got looks out over the beautiful K11 art mall.

ROOMS and AMENITIES: If not for the really cold weather, I would never leave Yiufai;p the floor was tiled so it didnt help to get cozy, and the water heater in the bath goes lukewarm after several minutes. Dont worry, it heats up again in fewer minutes. I dont do well in 9-degree weather so this was really a struggle. The bed and pillows are not soft, but they're comfortable, and actually good for resting after all those strolls in HK. Like most hotels in HK, Cable TV is, uhm, not very appealing. But the free Internet's truly high speed so really great if you need some in-room entertainment.

There's hot&cold water dispenser for drinking right outside our room, as well as a microwave oven and refrigerator. You can smoke inside your room, too, and if you're there during winter, smoking is such a treat. And no curfews :)

LOCATION: Right along Nathan Road. The Yiufai website was not kidding. Golden Crown Court, the building where Yiufai is, is right by Exit D2 of Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station. the Cityflyer A21 bus from the airport stops at Holiday Inn Golden Mile on Nathan road, just a block away (towards Mongkok). The bus back to the airport is just across Nathan Road, before the iSquare door.

Stand outside Golden Crown Court's Carnarvon Road entrance and you can see 7-11 across the street, Bonjour (for cheap makeup and toiletries), Tsui Wah Restaurant (you can pay with your Octopus card there), K11 Art Mall, and a money changer booth. The Peninsula Hotel, the Harbour, and iSquare are on the next block, with Granville Road on the other side. ALSO, unlike Chungking mansions and Mirador, Golden Crown Court is airy and well-lit--very inviting.

PAYMENT: We deposited 1-night's worth of payment as a reservation fee. We paid the rest upon checking in. All in all, we spent only HK$1400.

This has been a lengthy review already, but just wanted to share our good luck in finding this guesthouse. ;))

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank kessieramirez
Reviewed December 22, 2010

The owner transfered us to other hostel in Chunking Mansion wihout our permission. The second hostel was nice, however was situated on 13th floor of Chunking Mansion. I am disappointed...

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
8  Thank Mat136
Reviewed November 28, 2010

We had two rooms at Yiu Fai Guesthouse for 3 nights in November of 2010. Both rooms were very clean, although as mentioned by other reviewers, the furnishing and decor was sparse. We were only there to sleep, and the location can't be beat. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tim P
Reviewed November 27, 2010

My comments about the hostel manager reflect the same as those already mentioned and though this will sound like stereotyping I do think it is because Raymond is not a HK local. Not strictly speaking anyway. But yes, he is very approachable as is his Father, and both are willing to listen and help at all times. And he is not the kind who gives you the runaround should something go wrong.

I was actually a little annoyed because I had informed Raymond that we would be arriving early and I was assured that a room would be ready for us on arrival at 10.30am. But on the day, we were asked to leave the luggage on the 6th floor and come back at 1pm. Like ccduckie, we were given a room on the 10th floor and it was a horrible room. All furniture needed replacing, room was next to Nathan Road and we found cockcroaches in the toilet/bathroom. The wifi internet did not work probably due to distance, but we were able to connect to another unsecured service.

The second day, we were moved to a single room on the same floor which was on the other side of the building (hence, no noise from Nathan Road). However, the shower was directly above the toilet which meant that taking a shower would make the toilet wet and not very nice for a female... I realise this is Hong Kong but I think that some consideration should be given to this point. And if they would only place a plastic/wodden rack inside the bathroom it would help loads.

The furnishing is cheap. The walls were covered with laminat boards. Beds are not comfortable. But you get what you pay for. I was positively surprised that there was hot/cold drinking water outside, as well as a fridge and microwave.

Although we were in a better room than the first day, we were disturbed by people renovating the other rooms (not surprised really considering the state of them). On another day, we were disturbed by renovation from next door. My advice is that you should stay in as least as possible if you choose this hostel.

Apparently, the 10th floor is the worst floor to be placed so be sure to asked for another floor when booking. We were told that if we book 2 weeks in advance, this would be assured. We booked 10 days in advance but it seemed that our booking was all but forgotten about seeing as they forgot about the early arrival.

The positive points have already been mentioned by the other reviews so I won't repeat them here. But I really have to reiterate ccduckie's point about the handtowel as I was frankly shocked. I guess they assumed you will bring your own bath towel.

For laundry, there is a landerette on the ground floor of the building. I don't know the price since we did not use them. People say that there are no shifty looking types outside the building. Not true as we saw many "shifty" looking Indians loitering outside the building every day and every night. But I think there is a "guard" because none of the shifty looking types entered the building.

For eating, I would recommend walking 5-10 mins down Mody Road and turning left. You will find many types of restaurants some are cheap, some not.

A room would set you back 350HKD/night. The only other hostel which was recommend to me charge 450HKD/night so this place is 100HKD/night cheaper and the location is really unbeatable. I would not recommend tis hostel to a couple unless hey are used to backpacking or frugal accommodation. I would have liked to have given 4 stars, but the fact that he forgot our early arrival really was a big negative for me.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank fargone2000
Reviewed November 14, 2010

The service was great, staff friendly. We got put onto another floor, floor 10, it was the name of a different guest house but owned by the same. The room was quite small and sparse with no windows. Aircon worked, and the hot water was great - if you are not used to asian showers it might feel weird not to have a proper shower to stand in. Fridge and kettle and microwave were in the hall outside. Linen was clean. I love this location of Kowloon, right near the waterfront and close enough to walk to the night market. The cable TV was good although limited (5) channels - our TV was broken in the room but it was immediately replaced with one that didn't have a remote, which didn't matter since it was so close to the bed. The internet was very fast. The bed was quite hard but comfortable enough for me. The only thing I would change would be the towels, we each got one towel no bigger then a hand towel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple