“heating is only issue”

Ranked #214 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sacramento, California
“heating is only issue”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am generally not a person who feels cold but the time I was there was when they were having a cold spell and no matter how high I turned the thermostat, it never got warmer in the room. I got an extra blanket the first night and that was fine although I had to wear a flannel shirt to stay warm when not sleeping. The room is small, 8x14 but very clean with a large window and it is fine for a single person, perhaps too crowded for 2. The bath is small but adequate and very modern, has courtesy dryer, hot pot, small fridge, flat tv, tiny desk and a chair and wifi is great. Newspaper on door in morning. Location is great - very close to Tsuen Wan MTR station and the area gives you a local flavor with loads of great shops in walking distance - there are few tourists here. You can get anywhere in less than a half hour for less than $2US on MTR. Exchange rate sucks - go to the moneychangers on the street.

Room Tip: elevators are quick
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Fion W, Manager at Silka Far East Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Andy R

Thank you for staying at Silka Far East, Hong Kong and for the time you have spent to give us a feedback. We are glad to hear that you satisfied our convenient location where was great for shopping and enjoying localized cuisine. We hope to welcome you again and wish you all the best.

Eric Cheng

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Koper, Slovenia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I spent seven days in this hotel, and would have gone after the first day, but I could not find any adequate hotel nearby. They were Christmas holidays and it was filled.
In this hotel nothing works, except personnel who are trying.
The room is small, you have no where to put suitcases. Insulation between rooms is made ​​of paper. One night I heard a young couple who made ​​love all night, so I did not need television.
The second night the baby cried. There was very little sleep in this hotel.
The worst thing is that hotels in Hong Kong do not have heating. And this one is special, because the room is always 18 degrees. They gave me an extra blanket which is not a lot of help.
Breakfast was so much good, but nothing special.
Wi-fi in the room worked well.
In any case, I do not recommend this hotel to anyone, especially not in the winter.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TOMOSUMIC
Fion W, Manager at Silka Far East Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear ASTP

Thank you for your stay in Silka Far East, Hong Kong. Please do accept my sincere apologies over the room configuration and we will try to provide attentive accommodation service to care different needs. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I don't understand why all the bad reviews here. We stayed for 3 nights and have no complaints whatsoever. The rooms are modern and clean. The location is very convenient, close to the subway, with lots of restaurants and shops around. It is a bit expensive and the rooms are small, but I gather this is the rule for Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Chose the non-smoking floors!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carlos

Thank you for staying in the Silka Far East, Hong Kong and your detailed feedback about our hotel. We delighted to hear that you satisfy our convenient location and room cleanliness during your stay. Appreciate your supporting and hope to see you again soon!

Durban
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed the Silka Hotel in Tsuen Wan and even before I departed to my trip the service was outstanding. All queries regarding payment and special request and transfer where organised and arranged for before I arrived. A day or two before I arrived they even sent weather information for the week. All the staff were pleasant and helpful especially Ordo and Kris. The guest services were fantastic like the free shuttle services to selected locations. Also, I was able to purchase certain ticket from the front desk.

In previous reviews people mentioned that the rooms were small, it was small but also sufficient and functional. Most rooms in Hong Kong are small unless you go to a 5 star hotel. Also, the price is definitely good value for money.

All amenities are close by including a bakery, mall, Seven Eleven, Spa, MTR, Restaurants etc.

But on customer service alone, I would rate Silka Hotel as a five star and recommend it to all. I was travelling alone as it workout perfectly for me. I will definitely stay there on my next trip.

Thank you to the Silka Team regards S Govender

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Fion W, Manager at Silka Far East Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear S Govender

Thank you for your posivitve comments and we delighted to hear that you enjoy your stay at Silka Far East, Hong Kong with conveient location and pleasant accommodation service. We look forward to your return visit!

Dasmarinas City, Philippines
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here for our December Holidays with my Hubby. My hubby reserve a non-smoking room using Booking.com. when we are at the hotel doing the reservation, the reception guy name Tom said that there is no non-smoking room available and he wanted to put us to a smoking room. My hubby spent at the reception for quite some time, because im so tired i went there to check him. Just to find out about there is no non-smoking room. I told to the reception guy that we booked it earlier enough and also specially indicated that we want a non smoking room.if there no room available they must inform their customers a head of time for the changes.well apparently because im annoyed, Tom was able to fix it and give us the room we requested.the hotel is good and accessible when it comes to transportation and restaurants.the only hassle is the the NOISE!!! you can hear that someone is snoring on the other room and also along the hall way you can hear the people talking and speaking so loud!!!!well a little too hard to find because the location is a bit not noticeable and another thing not everyone can speak english. so when you book to this hotel make sure that you have time to look for it and also make sure that you have patience because in the morning they dont have breakfast, butr there is a bake shop nearby so you can eat there.

Room Tip: Be patience
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Blaaattcccchhhh B

Thank you for your comments and we do apologies for any inconvenience caused that the noise levels may be higher when the hotel has a higher occupancy. On a different note, we are glad to learn that you are satisfied with our convenient location and look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel on your next trip.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We booked both deluxe and standard rooms, stayed for 4nights. All the rooms are clean but very small, especially the standard room (hardly enough space to open 2 luggage). Facility wise I don't remember them having a pool, gym or a bathtub. There's free wifi though. Toiletries, hair dryer and kettle are provided. 24 hours reception. Small and clean lobby. We did not try the breakfast.

The hotel is located 5-8minutes walk to the Tsuen Wan MTR train station via the overhead bridges. It's about 30minutes train ride to Disneyland or Tsim Sha Tsui. But Ocean Park is about 1 to 1.5 hours via train and bus or 30mins via taxi (costs perhaps 250hkd). To the airport is about 20minutes via taxi. There's a small shopping mall located just beside the hotel with a 24 hours 7-11 convenience store, and a few malls along the way to the train station.

The staff speaks basic English but are easily overwhelmed if too many customers are at the reception counter. Though they were nice to allow us to put our friend's surprise birthday cake in their kitchen fridge as the room fridge was too small.

All in all it's nothing fancy or shabby but just a nice family friendly place to rest and conveniently located close to the train station.

Room Tip: If you want space to open more than 1 luggage and to be able to walk freely, take the deluxe room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Carol Caramel

Thank you for your stay in the Silka Far East, Hong Kong and your detailed feedback about our hotel. We delighted to hear that you satisfy our convenient location and our pleasant service during your stay. Hope to welcome you again in our Hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My first in this hotel for 9 days, by myself. Location looks a bit far from HK island or Kowloon, but the MTR makes it so convinence . Got a outside room on the 9 floor w/ windows. Air-con works well. Fridge , flat screen TV / with CNN and many others. Instant coffee, tea ,kettle and full toilet amenity. Slippers provided everyday. A few shopping malls within 15 min. walking distance . All kinds of restaurants surrounded the hotels. One way shuttle service to Kowloon most busy shopping district ( Monk Kok) & airport MTR subway. Very friendly staffs as I also speak Chinese, most staff speak English. Housekeeping so friendly that makes me tips them twice.
Yes, the room is small, but you're in HK. Location, cleanliness , value is all about in travel.
Great. I' ll be back.

Room Tip: Higher floor, window units
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guy23

Thank you for taking your time to write this nice review about our Silka Far East, Hong Kong. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially for mentioning our hearty and friendly customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best Regards