“Great choice if you want to be near Wan Chai Convention” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong

Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong
Ranked #135 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Great choice if you want to be near Wan Chai Convention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My boss and I recently stayed at this hotel as we wanted to be close to the Wan Chai convention center - and we got a great deal on Expedia for SGD$110/night. The rooms are small but comfortable, clean and enough if all you need is a place to rest your head and have a nice warm shower. At first we thought wow this is a small room but actually it was perfect.

The breakfast is expensive but we just ended up grabbing breakfast elsewhere.
We had a slight issue with our room key but the staff were super helpful and very on top of it.

I would definitely stay here again if we were in HK for another convention.

Room Tip: Our rooms faced the cemetery nearby but that didn't bother us. If that bothers you then ask for...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CosmoHotel, General Manager at Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Sophie S,

Thank you for staying with us. We regret to learn that you found the room smaller than you expected. In fact, Cosmo hotel comprises 7 different room types that measure up to 83 sq. meters to cater for guests with different budgets and preferences. You may try our other room types like Executive Room, Studio room with amazing city view for a more spacious stay on your next visits.

Your comments on the breakfast is noted. While our hotel serves a wide range of sumptuous Continental and Oriental delicacies over breakfast buffet, some guests would like to discover the local restaurants in the neighborhoods for a really authentic Hong Kong style cuisine. Our friendly concierge team are happy to recommend the best restaurants in town for our guests.

Regarding the minor issue with the room key, please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused. We will look into this matter and make sure this will not happen again in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Porto Alegre, RS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel has a reasonable location and it is not expensive. The nearest metro station is about an 8 minute walk. It is next to the Cosmopolitan Hotel and has some shared services. As the shuttle bus for free, serving various locations in Hong Kong. The rooms are very nice, with a refrigerator and coffee maker, but are small. The staff is attentive. The internet connection in the rooms is paid. A nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CosmopolitanHotelHK, General Manager at Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for all your compliments, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We have noted your comment on the size of the room. In fact, our hotel offers 7 room categories measuring up to 83 sq. m., we hope you will have the chance to try the other room types when you visit us next time for not only a more spacious and pleasant stay, but also with great views of city skyline. We hope to welcoming you again in the near future.
Snow Bound Canuck
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here for five days while en route to our main trip destination further east. It's a fairly small hotel, with only a handful of rooms on each floor. Since we were on a 5 week trip, we had extra luggage with us, only the room was so small it barely had enough floor space to store the bags. The A/C was on, but the room was still a bit too warm and very humid. There was a bit of a musty smell, although not enough to be an issue. The hotel has a decent little patio area, where they have a coffee machine and free fruit in the morning. It's the one place you can get free wifi in the hotel aside from the main lobby. The place is clean, but not immaculate. We found the location convenient, and only a 10 minute walk from the metro station. Do yourself a favour and get an octopus card. The amount you get on it initially should last most of the week, but add extra if you want to use this payment card for stuff other than just the metro. There's not much in the way of convenience stores close to the hotel, for that you have to walk to the metro station areas.

Room Tip: Might get a better view from a floor higher up
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank markeleven
CosmoHotel, General Manager at Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Markeleven,

Thank you for staying with us. We really appreciate your valuable feedback as it helps us to improve your next stay experience with us.

In fact, Cosmo hotel comprises 7 room categories sizing up to 83 sq. m. to suit our guests’ different preferences and budgets. We regret to learn that you found the room was smaller than you expected, I hope the next time you will have the chance to try our Executive room for a more spacious stay with extra storage for luggage. Besides, please accept our sincere apology for the air-conditioner issue and the musty smell you experienced in the guestroom. Though regular maintenance for air-conditioner is carried out for each guestroom, rest assured that we will look into this matter immediately to ensure all hotel facilities and rooms are well-maintained.

We are pleased that you found our hotel to be convenient for your trip. We also hope that you relished the extra convenience brought to you by our complimentary shuttle bus service that runs to and from 15 tourist destinations. In addition, there is a 7-11 convenience store located in Tin Lok Lane, just 5 mins walk from the hotel. Guests could always contact the hotel concierge team for any assistance on direction.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for at 10 days (12th to 23rd May 2013). The area of this hotel is about 300 meters from Ruttonjee hospital where my husband was sick. And about 100 meters from Wan Chai Park. Within 5-10 minutes walking distance can be found many local restaurants, local market (sell fresh fruits with good price) and from my room in floor 26th the day and night view was amazing. Every day the staffs (from front office to room service) never absent to give us a good hospitality. Always full of smile and assist with sincere. Ms. Ada Lo (Room Service staff) was one of many hotel staffs who made our stay in this hotel unforgettable. She does not speak English fluently. However, we never encounter difficulties understanding her as she always offer good service in cleaning our room. Will be nice if the hotel management can provide English training for the staffs to make the service excellent.

Will stay in this hotel again for next Hong Kong trip Y(^0^)Y

Kiki Wahyuni

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ki-Nong W
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment. Your kind comments especially to Ada will be directed to her. It is always encouraging to hear from satisfied guests as we continually strive to deliver a high level of service. Your suggestion on offering English training for hotel staff is well taken. In fact, this is something the hotel has been doing, but we will definitely look into this matter and enhance our on-job training for related staff, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My friends and I didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel, but still decided to leave a review anyway. We booked a Studio Triple room for 5 nights. Basically we went out early in the morning and returned late at night.

Lets start with what I liked. I liked the free breakfast. It was buffet styled, and comes with a selection of eggs upon order - for free as well! The staff at the breakfast area was very kind as well. My friends needed a bottle of water every morning for the day ahead, so she asked the staff for the first 2 mornings. After that, the staff remembered us and gave us a bottle without us having to ask for it! It was nice of him to do that :)

Then, I liked the bed. With a back problem, it was always hard for me to sleep elsewhere other than home without waking up with an excruciating back ache. However, Cosmo Hotel managed to surprise me with their ultra comfy mattress, which allowed me to wake up without having to yelp in pain! They also had this nice touch of green initiative of not changing the bedsheets everyday, which really isn't necessary, unless you requested for it. They still cleaned the room and tidied the bedsheets though.

If you had a chance to ask their reservation department any questions prior to arrival, you would be pleasantly surprised by their patience. I asked them a lot of questions regarding my reservation as well as the facilities provided. Very efficient as well (:

OK, then on to the not-so-good aspects. The staff of the concierge and front desk. It was ok, coming from someone who works in the service industry (I work in a boutique hostel in SG). The staff wasn't very alert that we were standing there most of the time. When we approached the staff, majority of the time they were lowering their heads doing things. Not that its wrong, but I'm just saying that customers should come first, and if we needed to wait, they should ask us to hold for a moment first. It made me feel like I had to ask for their attention. It also felt like they were distracted while explaining to us how to get to some places, and didn't bother to provide us much advice on how to go to places, such as which MTR to get off or which buses to take and which stops to alight. They went straight on to tell you the best way would be by cabbing down there (duh, how else?), which could be difficult to do so during peak hours (which was exactly the time we woke up and decided to head out). Besides, when we requested them to call a cab for us, the answer we got most of the time was "Head to the street opposite the hotel to flag one, its much more easier to flag a cab there". Hello, we wanted to CALL cab because we knew how hard it was to flag one during peak hour. But since we still managed to do so, I didn't really hold it against anyone and moved on. We were assured at night by the front office staff that the concierge would surely help me call a cab one night but the next morning, the same thing happened again. At that point of time we just gave up asking the concierge already.

Secondly, the room. The size was ok, but the flooring seemed to be uneven. Not that it mattered, but still a bit weird. Also, the power plugs were very limited, especially for a room meant for 3 people. It was also hidden under tables and it was very difficult to reach. We even had to unplug one of the facilities (I think it was one of the phones LOL) so that I could use the other power socket. A power adapter was provided for free though, which I thought was thoughtful of them.

The hotel provides a free shuttle bus service, but we didn't manage to make use of that because the frequency didn't match with our schedule. It didn't take us to many MTR stations to get around the city anyway. Instead, take bus number 10 to Admiralty or Central MTR station to get to wherever you want to go instead. Much more efficient. Oh, and they sell Ocean Park tickets at the concierge counter too, at the usual price of HKD$280. Maybe the management could look into liaising with travel agents to provide discounted attraction tickets not only to the Ocean Park? It'll boost the convenience and value (:

Additionally, to people who look forward to booking with Cosmo Hotel, please take note that some of their rooms have a "mountain" view aka the cemetery. My Studio Triple was one of those rooms. But it was covered by a frosted window which I can't seem to open and 2 layers of curtains, so basically you won't even know its there unless you did your research like I did before I checked in. Besides, my friends and I were too tired to even remember there was a cemetery beside us after the first night in Hong Kong ahaha.

Now, to the very bad. The Wi-Fi. It was horrible. I booked through their hotel website, so I was promised "free" Wi-Fi. However, after asking their reservation department and reading reviews, I found out that an additional charge of HKD$12 would have to be charged per device that signed into the Wi-Fi in the room. So example if you were to use the Wi-Fi on 3 smartphones, then one day you would be charged HKD$36. I heard that the charge was induced by the telecom company, but if we would be charged, then it wasn't considered "free" anymore, is it? I would call it "discounted" or "subsidized" if I still had to pay. Just sayin'. The Wi-Fi was very slow too, with the signal fluctuating between strong and weak all the time. Oh, and I was also provided with a desktop computer in the room (which was one of the facilities provided) but I guess the technician forgot about it the first day until I asked for it, which was done on the second day. I was thrilled to have a computer, but I ended up ditching it because it was simply working too slowly. Time to update the operating system from Windows XP to Windows 7 or 8, don't you think, Cosmo Hotel? Ended up surfing the net using my phone which was wayyy faster.

The laundry cost me a bomb too. The payment process was confusing too but no biggie. It cost a lot to count the laundry by PIECES, not by load, so, ouch to my wallet! The TV provided in the room was average with a small selection of global channels, but the quality was very bad, especially when you're used to High Definition everywhere in the world nowadays.

Lastly, there was a open terrace on the fifth level, but unfortunately we were unable to visit it as we were too tired. I heard that there was free Wi-Fi there ^^ Didn't manage to visit the gym as well as the Nooch Bar other than during breakfast.

This ends my very long review, I hope this helps anyone out there who wanted to stay in Hong Kong! ^^ Thank you Cosmo Hotel for hosting me, but please look into improving on the above things?

Room Tip: Email the reservation team early to see if you can get a room without a "mountain" view (:
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janella T
Dear TriciaJanella,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a valuable review. Your feedback is important to us as it helps us to identify areas we need to improve.

We are truly sorry that our concierge service did not meet your expectations. Coaching and training will definitely be reinforced towards concerned staff to ensure good service under any circumstances. Although some of our guestrooms are facing the historical churchyard, most of our guests do find their stays value-for-money in general. On our website, images are taken from the real locations and room sizes are also published for guest’s reference. We recommend you to try other room types like Two-bedroom suite that measure up to 83 sq. m with your friend and family for an even more enjoyable stay on your next visits. We noted your comment on the power socket, we will definitely bring this up for management’s review for improvement.

Besides, we hope our free shuttle services towards 15 attractions including Causeway Bay MTR station, Admiralty, Central and Hong Kong station for airport express etc, and public transports like buses and trams available few steps away from hotel door have brought you great convenience in accessing to different areas in Hong Kong. The good news is that apart from Ocean park ticket, Hong Kong Disneyland ticket will be also available soon for purchase at Concierge Desk without handling charge! We hope you will enjoy such convenient and valuable service upon next visits.

Regarding the internet charges you mentioned, the service charge was actually imposed by the internet service provider instead of hotel, which we appreciate your kind understanding. Moreover, guest can always approach our Guest Services Manager for immediate assistance on the Internet speed issue or any support for room facilitates (e.g. desktop) on the spot.

Concerning your comment on the laundry service, the practice of charge (per piece) is actually based on the international hotel standard. However, we understand the payment arrangement has made confusion to you and our apology for the inconvenience caused. As for the TV Channel, I hope you had the chance to inform our 24-hour on-duty Guest Services Manager to assist you on this. Also, we have already informed our engineering team to look into this matter and review the quality and variety of channels.

TriciaJanella, we sincerely hope to welcome you and your friends back to Cosmo Hotel again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my partner for 7 nights.

Pros: The shower has amazing water pressure, there is a computer in the lobby where you can access the internet, There is an area on the 5th floor with free wifi access, and coffee machine and fruit available to consume, we also got complimentary fruit in our room for 2 days of our stay.

Cons: The rooms are tiny (we had a standard room and you wouldnt have been able to get 2 suitcases in there), the Australia channel didn't work on TV, the breakfast was average (dont bother with it, and instead go find something close by), and the station was about a 15 minute walk.

Room Tip: Opt to stay on the 5th floor! This is the floor with the wifi area, so if you're lucky you can g...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Monzica
CosmoHotel, General Manager at Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Monizica,

In fact, Cosmo hotel comprises 7 room categories sizing up to 83 sq. m. to suit our guests’ different preferences and budgets. We regret to learn that you found the room was smaller than you expected, I hope the next time you will have the chance to try our Executive rooms for a more spacious stay with extra storage for luggage. Also, please accept our sincere apology for the problem you encountered with Australia TV channel, I hope you had the chance to inform our 24-hour on-duty Guest Services Manager to assist you on the spot. We have already informed our engineering team to look into this matter to ensure our guests able to enjoy flawless in-room entertainment facilities.

Location wise, we are conveniently located amid Causeway Bay and Wan Chai with the closest Causeway Bay MTR train station being only 8-min walk away. Located in one of the prime locations on Hong Kong island also means that public transport is readily available at the doorstep. Moreover, our complimentary shuttle bus service that runs to and from 15 tourist destinations has definitely made exploring the city a hassle-free and relaxing experience for our guests.

Your comment on the breakfast is well taken, we will continue to enhance the food quality and variety. Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and we hope to welcoming you again in the near future.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Booked a triple room for 7 nights. Room had 1.5 bathroom, which was convenient. Good variety of breakfast items and they were different everyday. One of the three beds was in a separate area in the room, which allowed more privacy. AC was too cold and we had to turn it off.

Room Tip: Received 35% off and free ocean park ticket from Tripadvisor promotion
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family