“Trendy, Small, funny location”

Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong
Ranked #142 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Limassol, Cyprus
“Trendy, Small, funny location”
Reviewed December 10, 2007

When I walked into the hotel lobby, I guess it gave the expection of the room. The lobby is small, practical and trendy. We walked to the reception desk and we were greeted by a friendly staff.

After fill in the check-in form and passport inspection, I was asked to give a deposit of HK$300. This is not my first time I have encountered such request in Hong Kong, it is more or less normal practice. The staff informed us that we have got an "upgrade" and we prompty went upstairs by the lift to see our upgraded room.

I think the lobby of the hotel did set the scence of the room. I remember I use the word "cute" when I first walked into the room. The first impression of the room was small and smart.

The room is clean and tidy. The person who did the interior design of the room do manage to use every inch of the room without wasting any space.

In the room I stayed it has 2 single beds within the bedroom, next to one of the bed is a "semi-glass wall" partition between the bathroom and bedroom, this partition does give a trendy atmosphere to the room. Next to the other bed is the windown of the room, the window is sealed and can't be opened.

We went downstairs to the 5th floor "Breeze bar". To be honest "The Breeze bar" is actually just a nicely converted roof terrance of the base building. It offers self service complementary coffee and free wifi services. When we went there it was empty and we have the entire "bar" for ourselves. The bar isn't grand but it does have modern touch.

The location of the Hotel isn't great. It is not near a MTR station. It is 15+ minutes walk to Time square. Time sqaure do have an MTR entrance but it is a good 10 minutes walk from the entranace to the train platform.

Surronding the hotel isn't much to see or shop either. The PRC Chinese News Agency is next door and Happy Valley Horse Racing course is within viewing distance.

One good thing is that the number 10 bus stop to central is right outside the building and the airport express shuttle bus stop in front of the hotel too. It is only a short walk to catch the number 6 bus to Stanley and number 15 bus to the peak.

On the hold it is a okay hotel but don't expect too much. Not my first choice

• Liked — Trendy, clean, friendly
  • Disliked — small room, location
2 Thank ISWC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed December 4, 2007

I liked the Cosmo -- it wasn't cheap but not a bad value for Hong Kong and it had some nice style in the rooms. I really liked the free high-quality coffee machine that was available 24/7 in the 2nd floor lounge. We booked a superior room because the website made it look like the basic room didn't really have an exterior window---I'm not sure if that's true but our room had a nice city view. We also took advantage of their shuttle bus a fair bit (which is actually next door at the Cosmopolitan). Other reviews had complained about the size of the rooms being tiny but I thought it was totally adequate although the bathroom was tiny.

The negatives were: poor service in the restaurant when we went for breakfast buffet including staff with very poor English (surprising for HK), not the greatest location -- on HK island but in a somewhat dull area so you're always going somewhere else to do stuff.

• Liked — Stylsh, services attached to hotel
  • Disliked — Not the best service for this class of hotel, location kind of dull
1 Thank ddosdall
Shanghai
Reviewed November 25, 2007

As my partner and I were in Hong Kong for a romantic weekend I thought I would splash out and get a nice hotel. The advertisements for the Cosmo looked great, so I decided to go for an executive room. Basically, it was smaller than most budget rooms I have stayed in, and only marginally nicer. The bathroom was cramped, breakfast wasn't even included at the rate of US$530 for 2 nights, the staff at reception were rude and I felt completely ripped off. There were no facilities, I have no idea how they feel they can charge these type of rates? I would definitely not recommend anyone stay there unless they can get a very cheap rate.

• Liked — Lobby
  • Disliked — Overpriced
PARIS
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Stayed at the Cosmo , the sister hotel of the giant group The Cosmopolitian Hotel in Hong Kong .

The Location is good , taxi stops right infront of the hotel , within walking distance you'll reached the heart of the shopping area Causeway Bay and the Metro access to everywhere in HK .

The Room is a bit small , BUT it is big enough for one person ,
even i am a 180cm tall guy , still find the room isn't too packy !!
the room is clean , everything is in order , the housekeeping always greets you with a sunshine smile !!

On the other hand , i would say the room is quite Cozy tho'
This is a Boutique Hotel , can't compare it with the normal giant hotel . it is a very stylish bouitque hotel !
And this Cosmo certainly quiet enough for u to have a good sleep .......

The Staffs are friendly , professional , unlike those over acting
warm welcome in some five stars hotel .

Overall , this is a good choice for one person travel ,
good value , good location , room is clean , staffs are helpful .

• Liked — THE VIEW
  • Disliked — THE BATHROOM
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank DOODOO38
Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Avoid this Hotel at all costs. it's over priced, the rooms are the smallest I have ever seen in my life (i know rooms are small in Hong Kong but this is a joke).

Rooms - Very small. Loud airconditioning as well..had to turn it off. The bathrooms are really tiny. In fact no room for toiletries or anyone. I had to dry myself with half of my body in the bedroom.

Price - Too expensive. 3 star hotel at best. My friend stayed for a night prior to the gift fair in an executive room and was given free breakfast. Once the gift fair had started they took free breakfast off him.

Breakfast - a joke. The worst you've ever seen. It's in the downstairs bar which is also a smoking area. Smallest breakfast for 88HKD suits the small rooms.

Service - rude and a joke. They don't care and have bad attitudes.

Location - 10 minute walk in Wan Chai. i didn't mind.

overall don't stay here. it's appalling. it is clean however i prefer to stay at the Charterhouse which is a bit older but much more comfortable for the same price.
One thing I must say is that the breeze on level 5 is the only thing positive about this hotel. Free internet access outside on the 5th floor. It was nice to sit out there.

• Stayed October 2007
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the COSMO Hotel over a weekend in early October. The rooms are very small and the staff unfriendly. Location is not close to much except the HK convention centre (abt 10 mins cab ride). It is a 15 mins walk to the nearest train station (Wan Chai) and food outlets are near the station. We paid HKD 1,800 + 13% tax and yet had a tiny room. We had previously stayed in many hotels in HK and this has the be the worst value for money given the service level and room size.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed September 28, 2007

Stayed at their sister hotel, The Cosmopolitan, in March and thought it would be a similar experience. Quite the opposite. The rooms are very, very small and on one side they face the cemetary. They use frosted window to try to cover it up. We payed a little extra to switch to a bigger room. The room had a computer with internet access and came with breakfast everyday. The bathroom was is extremely small. There is no room to put any tolietries in the bathroom or to move around.

On our 3rd night , we noticed a smell (smelled musty, like dirty feet) whenever we turned the air conditioning up to 25 degrees celcius. The next morning, I informed the front desk about the smell and their solution was to turn down the air and they would bring us extra blankets and a heater if we were cold. We decided it wasnt a big deal. The next day, there was an even stronger smell , almost like gas. At first I ignored it, but then I started to feel dizzy so I went to the front desk to inform them about it. They told me they were painting the room next door. Why didnt anyone tell us that morning they were going to be painting? The hotels are very small and there is basically no ventilation. We left the hotel and the smell was still there when we returned in the late afternoon. They switched us to a different room only after they made sure we went upstairs to check if the smell was still there. They never once apologized for it.

The staff wasn't always friendly. It depended on who was at the front desk. The only thing I liked about the hotel was their shuttle bus service. Their shuttle bus service takes you to the convention center, Times Square, and the Airport Express train. If you dont mind the smells, the cemetary, and the extremely small rooms and bathrooms (smallest of the 4 Hong Kong hotels I've stayed at) then I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — the shuttle bus
  • Disliked — the smells in the rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business