“An OK place to stay if you're in need”

Mexan Harbour Hotel
Ranked #531 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 11, 2012

If you can't find any good places to stay, and you are on a budget, this is a good place to stay. Rooms are small, but clean enough. The one we got had a great view of the city, but I don't know about the others. Service could (and should) have been better. Not too pricey, so I'd say reasonable value for money. It's located on Tsing Yi, which isn't exactly in the centrum, but we stay there until we got a better place. The restaurant wasn't great, but OK for some drinks. 7/11 close by. Not very far from the MTR, and busses run regularily from behind the hotel.

Free wifi, although the website said it was paid. Free toothbrush and all that.

Probably wouldn't go back, but it aint that bad.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sral2214

Reviewed October 15, 2011

I stayed here a night only because of the price and am not sure if it was worth it.

The room overlooked the harbour, which was good as it presented a pretty picture but the noise from the harbour and the halls disturbed me during the night. Additionally the AC in the room made so much noise I assumed there was a washing machine running somewhere. The toilet was clean and the room decent sized but the walls of the room were quite dirty.

Location wise, the hotel is not close to any public transport, so those seeking to save money beware.

The staff on the other hand were extremely polite and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank pradyk
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Price - very good
Staff - reception was polite and friendly. Staff did not offer to open doors when approaching/struggling with 3 large suitcases and did not offer to take cases to the room !
Cleanliness - Major reason for me commenting on this hotel. Hygiene and cleanliness is a basic fundamental right in a hotel, regardless of the hotels price. Basic hygiene and hotel room maintaince was absent. The hotel was used for a one night stay, thankfully no more. The rooms are falsely advertised from the online professional images. The room was very small. the bed barley fitted the width of the room leaving a cramped space to walk around the bed. Due to this reason, the white walls were washed in black marks and dirt which the hotel did not see fit to clean. skirting boards were tired and ripped with some missing totally. Hairs on the pillows and shower head. Glass wall separating bathroom to bed had clearly not been cleaned and was matched with grim on the head board. Disgusting odour of urine from the actual shower floor. Due to this total disregard to room hygiene we did not eat in the hotel cafe, and spent as little time in the hotel as possible. Public lifts - dirty, Walls were full of grime! From the outside, the hotel looks beautiful, blending in with the grand Hong Kong skyline. Yet, personally due to the state of the room I would not recommend or return to this hotel. Pictures taken of grime are on partners camera and will be updated in the very near future.

Room Tip: Tsing Yi is a good location for the airport. You need to use the MTR ($30 taxi to Tsing Yi station...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Atlantic2011
Reviewed November 16, 2010

yes indeed the hotel is far from the mtr station ($23hk taxi ride) and the view consists of a cargo yard BUT there was no noise whatsoever. the view at night is great with all the lights from across the harbor.

we purchased a package for the trip and considering the price we paid, we have no complaints. the rooms are small (it's hongkong, where they build high rise buildings because they have a really small land area) yet clean. the staff are polite and we had to ask for the number of McDonalds for delivery and they were kind enough to look it up for us with no corkage fee.

when we visit hongkong again, we'll definitely stay there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Me & my family swear never to go back to this Hotel even if is FOC. Me & my family stayed in this hotel fm 17/6/10-19/6/10. The coach driver fetched us from the airport & dropped us at the Hotel cargo with all our luggages. We asked the driver why he didn't dropped us at the hotel lobby? But was told the hotel don't allowed coach to dropped their guest at the lobby. So when we went up to the lobby to get the bellboy to bring up our luggage we were told they charged HK$5 per luggage. WHAT KIND OF HOTEL IS THIS? OH GOSP! UNHAPPY UNHAPPY....................

1) Nobody is at the CARGO to welcome u to the hotel.....
2) Every luggage charged HK$5 to bring up to your room
3) only twin bed, room is smaller than my house kitchen, strictly for 2 persons.
4) Hotel staff not accomodating at all despite our complaint.
5) No view except facing the container.
6) Too far from city, inconvenient even to the nearest MTR
7) Toilet bowl flooded
8) 1 roll of toilet paper only, TV reception no good
9) problem with their door, difficulty in opening
Lucky my stay is only 2nites but already a nightmare. With all the above, would u still consider to stay there? DEFINITELY NOT US! NOT EVEN IF IS FREE.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank unhappi
Reviewed April 17, 2010

It was a short but fun-filled tour with my son in HK. We will definitely go bck there for more fun. The hotel is fine, just an average hotel room. You need to bring your own socket converter, otherwise you have to buy from it from them at HK$20 each.

Additional remarks to this tour:
We would not take a tour package next time so we can really enjoy Disneyland the whole day. The package tour would require you to go to places as scheduled that you'd find not necessary. We were told that during the tour, we won't be paying entrance fees anymore, etc. but we were surprised to be asked HK$50 each boarding a boat towards the Floating Restaurant's view.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I stayed here in mid December. The room was cleaned daily; but the disposable sandals which the hotel provided was flimsy - it tore the moment it was in contact with water.

I didn't really like the attitude of one of the female staff there. When I requested for additional blanket and extra toilet papers, she came up promptly but shoved the things into my hands and grumbled before walking away. Other than her, the receptionists at the lobby were fantastic, they spoke good English and were helpful with my enquiries.

I had a good view of the port and the tsingyi bridge. However, the hotel was far away from the main shopping areas of mongkok and causeway bay. I took a taxi from the hotel to mongkok and it cost around HKD$80, approximately 15 mins ride. The nearest MTR is Kwai Fong station and there are two shopping malls there as well.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family