“Couldn't agree more with the four-point rating by tripadvisor”

Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Causeway Bay
Ranked #143 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Irvine, California
“Couldn't agree more with the four-point rating by tripadvisor”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is a solid good four-pointer. The room is large enough for the price and the location. The service is sufficient. The location is a hit as it is so easy to get to from all the activities, and it has so many activities around.
The lobby is easily crowded and a little bit out of control, considering how many guests it holds. Because its price and prime location, there are a lot of Mainlander shoppers crowding this hotel. As someone here mentioned, they might not show western etiquette, so you'd better just ignore them.
All in all, a good place for mid-level business and single travelers. Not a good place for romantic vacations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank zyxlsy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed for a week in Hong Kong. Since, I had lived in China, I expected Hong Kong( now a part of china) also to be cheap. To our surprise, Hong Kong is very expensive (in par with Europe). However, this hotel was the best value we found. Great location, healthy breakfast options. Transportation via Metro is so convenient. Just get off onto the street and right into the station. Shopping, eating on the streets is extremeley convenient. Getting a taxi is also convenient. The bus service to the airport is just 2 blocks away. Even with two little children, this was a great choice. The hotel staff even extended our stay by a day on request. Super value....don't look anywhere else to stay in Hong Kong.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights with husband, 2 elderly grandparents, and 2 young kids. Location wise we loved it since it's just behind Times Square. There's an MTR station below Times Square and lots of restaurant choices outside. There's no real service to expect. It's basically self-service but we aren't complaining since the price is cheap for a hotel in this location. Don't bother with the free breakfast, it's a waste of calories. There are a lot of breakfast options just a short walk around. Free wifi isn't reliable either so if you really need Internet connection bring a laptop along as high speed connection is free in the room. I can't vouch for the high speed though since I didn't bring a laptop. Our room came with a sofa bed which unrolls flat on the floor. It's not very comfortable as its quite hard but once again can't complain since they don't charge extra for the sofa bed. All this free stuff is probably a strategy so you won't complain.... haha! But overall we were quite satisfied with our stay here.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Causeway Bay from 9-13 January 2013. The room we took was with 2 double beds and a sofa bed which gives enough comfort to us 3 tall adults. Having traveled and stayed in other HK hotels many times in the past, we find the room size quite big and comfortable for our group. Everything worked in the room. Towels and sheets are clean and being replaced every day. The hotel is one of the most convenient in the area [right behind Times Square] and very near to a small wet market where they sell the sweetest fruits. The front desk staff are always accommodating and helpful to our queries. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The room with 2 double beds and a sofa bed comfortably accommodates 3 tall adults.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Given the amount I have traveled internationally, I have learned to temper my expectations when it comes to hotels...especially after looking at their websites and reading reviews. That way I avoid disappointment because hotels are rarely, if ever, better that you expect. In this case however, I would say the reviews were pretty accurate. I was traveling alone on business so the relatively small non-smoking room with twin beds was not too bad.

The front desk staff was not overly welcoming, but not terrible either. They simply checked me in...and were able to give me a room on an upper floor. This is REALLY important because the street noise if very loud...you can even hear it through the walls on the 11th floor (ironing room). Oh yah...they don't have irons/boards in the room which I thought was annoying and inconvenient, but actually it worked out pretty well. I got some "black stuff" on my collar from the iron, but it came off with a water and a washcloth. Of course, that ALWAYS a danger of using a hotel iron.

The room was pretty clean. The bathroom was just OK...but the corners had crap in them...which is something I always look at to determine the hotels standards...dirty corners mean that you have to suspect everything else is not really clean either. Housekeeping was responsive...I left them notes and they filled my requests. One surprising thing was that I stayed in my room one day because I was not feeling well...and I had the do not disturb sign on my door. I left the room to find something to eat after 6PM...and when I came back, to my shock...they had cleaned my room while I was gone. I had no expectation that they would do that. Clearly, the housekeeping staff is well managed; makes up a little for management maybe not being critical enough (again...the dirty corners).

Make sure that you request additional water because there is a sign that indicates the water is not drinkable unless boiled. So...the two bottles they left were not enough for drinking AND brushing my teeth. Extra towels are necessary because the towels don't dry out between uses (I guess humidity); you can only use them once.

I am used to American/European breakfast. So, if you go to HiPOT (which is where you get the breakfast that is included)...you get like 5 or 6 choices...and none of them met my needs. I only had breakfast at the hotel one day and it was a bowl of tomato soup with oxtail, tomatoes, and potatoes in it. It wasn't bad or anything...just not breakfast to me. So I made the unhealthy choice of eating at McDonald's several of the days. I tried to go to a place (the flying pan on Lockhart Road...about a mile away) that supposedly had great western breakfasts...and the menu looked good only to find that the restaurant was dirty, in need of repairs, and empty (never a good sign). I walked out.

One day for lunch I ate in the Ousen, the Japanese restaurant in the hotel. It was kind of odd too, but again the food seemed well-prepared, but different that what I had expected.

WiFi is included in the rate, but I thought it was spotty and slow.

The hotel is right across the street from Time Square which is a pretty big shopping galleria...with access to the MTR (subway system)...through a rather complex systems of underground tunnels. There is also a Regus BusinessWorld in Times Square...so I kind of used the lounge as a base of operations while I was here. Great perk if you have status on United. That was the first time I had used it...and it was great! The WiFi was much better there too.

For Hong Kong, this was a pretty decent hotel for a pretty decent rate...and while I would research other places on my next visit...I would stay here again if necessary. But I can't do much more that say it's average due to size, lack of attention to detail (cleaning), and poor breakfast choices. I would rate the location of the hotel a very good.

Until next time,
j2

Room Tip: Upper Floor due to noise. Research food choices before you come. Request additional towels and wat...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank OnTheFly_12
Qingdao
Reviewed January 21, 2013

First time stay at this hotel and very good experience for business and leisure. Just beside Time Square, so convenient for shopping, tour and business. Great location except traffic is a bit crowed. Good sleeping, clean room, fast internet connection . . .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Eddy L
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 13, 2013

How much more can I stress that this is a great hotel right smack in the middle of shopping heaven. The hotel lacks some luxuries though such as bellhops and a great breakfast buffet... well hence the name "express". Checking in and out is a breeze as they don't even ask for a deposit...no mini bar (who wants one anyway) and wifi is free.
All in all, we are coming back to this hotel...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family