“great location BUT bad breakfast and subpar housekeeping” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Causeway Bay

Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Causeway Bay
Ranked #140 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
New York City, New York
“great location BUT bad breakfast and subpar housekeeping”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

OK, let's start with the good. The location. Can't get any better than this.

Now let's cut to the chase. We found someone's sticky dark green snot (with a nose hair) on our blanket cover. I kid you not. It was so fresh, that when we folded the blanket, it stuck and stained the clean side. Nasty. So we put the blanket on the floor, which according to environmentally-friendly rules indicates that we want to have the item changed. When we returned that evening, we found our bed very nicely made. But with the same damned snot!!!

Needless to say, this is a complete show-stopper for another stay. And we cannot recommend this hotel. If they're this dishonest with the blanket, imagine what they're doing with dirty towels we want replaced. I also used a towel on the desk chair so that I don't get in contact with any dirty fabric. When we returned, we suspected that the towel was put back on the bathroom railing, nicely folded.

We concur with previous reviews mentioning that the breakfast service is horrible and not even worth the trouble to get.

In spite of these negatives, we give 2 stars because of the location and the average tolerable rooms. Drab walls and ugly dark green carpeting are offset by good air conditioning and decent natural lighting from the windows. Also, when we confronted the cleaning lady regarding above comments, she did promptly replace our entire bedding at midnight (an inconvenient hour for them). Also, when we drove in, the security guard downstairs was extremely attentive, brought us a luggage cart, and helped us up to the lobby....all without asking for a tip! So kudos for that. And we're being a little more forgiving because we can see the crap that these poor hotel staff must endure from rude and inconsiderate China tourists from the mainland (full disclosure: I am a Hong Konger of Chinese descent, so I feel qualified to comment on the mainland's nouveau riche manners).

Summary: At almost $200 USD per night, we would rather pay a little extra and stay at a better hotel with a stronger reputation to keep. May as well pay the extra for a better experience.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

i stayed at this hotel 4 6 nights and surely i did not enjoy my stay.i never looked forward to breakfast the waiters will forget your order and do other things.this hotel has only one advantage the location is very good you are surrounded with many shopping places.i would not recommend this hotel to the people who want to enjoy their stay at hong kong

Room Tip: their are no goods rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank malesh639
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed in the hotel with my almost two-yr-old child for two nights. The location was very good but I found housekeeping very poor.  I requested for a baby cot when I made my reservation but there wasn't any when we entered the room. It's alright and so I called for one.  A housekeeping lady came with the cot but then got frustrated as she couldn't move the bed in by herself.  I offered to help as I just wanted to get things done fast but she said she would call her colleague. So she called and talked impatiently to her colleague like "Yes. Come now. You knew I couldn't move the bed in by myself." Soon her colleague arrived and the baby cot took up the space where a bulky arm chair was.  Then the two started ARGUING LOUDLY IN MY ROOM whether the bulky arm chair should stay in the tiny room.  One of them even suggested to place it right next to the bathroom which would literally leave me no space to open the wardrobe. In the end they took the chair out of my room but I was just amazed how unprofessional they were to behave like that in front of a customer.

The only reason to stay there is for the location.  It is right behind the Times Square, a big shopping mall with a lot of big brand names, restaurants and a good supermarket.  The room is really tiny and they still use the old-fashion bulky TV.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We just returned from a short trip to Hong Kong and picked Holiday Inn because it was a familiar brand from the US. I am also a priority club member, so I stayed out of loyalty. First, the pros, free breakfast (5 choices of set menu from Western to Asian style), free internet (research where you want to go) close to the MTR underground, many shops around you including the newly opened Apple Store. Then the cons, if you are traveling as a family, the extra bed is a pull out cushion, I hesitate to call it a sofa because the 2" thick mattress is on the floor with a big giant bar in the middle of your back. They don't even bother folding it up after that. how clean can that be? With the folded cushion you can barely squeeze in to use the desk. The refrigerator is broken, does cool. There thermostat must be broken, you're either freezing or hot. The clock was broken, there was no ventillation in the bathroom and we had a view of a construction crane was right outside our window. I made 3 long distance phone calls due to an emergency situation, the call never got through because the connection was poor but I still got charged US$9 it was not even a minute . I don't mind paying exorbitant prices but I never even talked to my party! Our cost for 3 night stay was US$ 862.20 which was already 5% over the going exchange rate of HK to US dollars and then the hotel placed a temporary charge of US$903.27 on my credit card when I checked 3 days after I left Hong Kong. I am now waiting to see if the charge will be corrected. I may not return to this Holiday Inn.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joshie_cox
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Fair room, larger than normal for Hong Kong, and that means tiny after US standards, normal according to European standards, Super location just behind Times Square, shopping and dining district. Public transportation also within easy reach.

Room Tip: Get up from street level as traffic in the area is a bit on the heavy side... but since all rooms ar...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel is located behind times square and its in causewaybay, close by to all the shopping centers. Staff is friendly and room size is ok, not big. Free wifi is provided which i think most hotels should provide istead of charging the guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Excellent location, clean and nice well-equipped rooms - spacious by Hong Kong standards. The front office staff was usually courteous and helpful, although a couple of girls were a bit surly. The location is the best part, with bustling Times Square right in front along with MTR. The housekeeping was very good - efficient and unobtrusive, the way it should be.

The breakfast is a big disappointment, as there is nothing for vegetarians on weekdays. The staff at HIPOT restaurant where breakfast is served was massively rude....they attend to the Chinese-speaking people first, even if they come much after you. Sometimes they just ignore you altogether, while serving the people at the next table. Maybe it was because of my brown skin, but this behavior really rankled. Specially since I was very polite with them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family