“Lei Yue Mun district is great for sefood fresh catch and cook to order chefs”

Lei Yue Mun Park and Holiday Village
Ranked #471 of 812 things to do in Hong Kong
Memphis, Tennessee
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Lei Yue Mun district is great for sefood fresh catch and cook to order chefs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

My fiancé took me here on our tour of Hong Kong. Probably best to navigate with a local.
If you’re adventurous and can patiently work with the locals this can be an incredible dining experience.
We started by picking our live seafood from a stall vendor. We chose a 2lb lobster, 2 large Mantis Shrimp, 6 prawns, 2 giant scallops and an assortment of local fresh fruit.
After picking our seafood we walked to one of the many restaurants that for a fee prepare and cook the food. I must say there seemed like 40 restaurants to choose from but our merchant walked us to the very end where we were seating in a very nice place that had a beautiful view overlooking the harbor.
The waiter questioned us about various flavors and served up an incredible meal. I have eaten at my share of 5 star restaurants and the quality of what i was served meets these expectations.
A visit here could be a highlight meal of your tour to Hong Kong. My advice if you can go with a local if possible to make the best choices or go early enough to explore and make good decisions. I would hate to see someone go away disgruntled as I saw on traveler reported

Visited September 2010
2 Thank BluesInMemphis

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Unforgetable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

Some of the best sea food in the world... just, you need to go with a local person that frequents those restaurants. If you are not with a local person, then you better be very knowledgeable about sea food, or you will likely get inferior food at higher prices, and your experience will not be as wonderful as ours.

Me and my friends were invited to a restaurant here by one of my friend's father, and without exaggeration, it was one of the best meals I have ever had in my life. We were 12 in total and I believe the final bill was in the order of 25-35 USD per person, with very little of that going towards alcohol. I counted 12-15 dishes of amazing sea food, different kinds of lobster, oysters, mussels, crab, local stuff, an ugly fish, and my favorite, the garlic fried pissing shrimp. One of the lobsters came in a unique, but delicious cheese and pasta mix. We all were very full even by plate 5-6, and half of the food had not been served yet.

It is very unlikely that I would be able to replicate such a meal on my own, especially at that price. My friend's father, as many hong kong business men do, frequent these restaurants often spend from 20-50 USD per person in some of the best sea food imaginable. These knowledgeable clients go up to the fish tanks and pick what they want. We spent 30 minutes at least going from tank to tank looking for the freshest and yummiest looking creatures of the sea. My friend's dad did all the bargaining and then they had the sea food taken to his restaurant of choice (adjacent to the tanks) where it was prepared and served quickly and to his specific instructions.

Foreigners do visit these restaurants, but they usually pay 2 to 3 times more than knowledgeable locals, and usually stick to the common lobster and crab dishes without trying the rarer animals on display. I saw no menu at the restaurant we sat.

If you are a traveler that wants to have a similar experience as mine, I would recommend to read up on sea food in hong kong and go in with a plan. I would recommend the garlic pissing shrimp with some mussels with cellophane noodles and some veggies for 2-3 people.

Visited June 2011
3 Thank sebasguerrero
Miami, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Lei yue mun”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

Dont even bother to go to this place. Far, horrible, no one single rest that look appealing. Total waste of time