“SO EXCITING”

Ranked #76 of 830 things to do in Hong Kong
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 21, 2013

It was the first time i was in a racecourse. It makes me so excited and crazy :)))
Entrance was free. I was given detailed instructions on 11 gamble ways for nine laps & you can participate in betting as buying lottery tickets. You can watch the horses before the race and watch the actual race on big screen.
Overall, a very interesting place to visit on a sunday afternoon

There are newer reviews for Sha Tin Racecourse

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I am a true horse racing fan and will visit Sha Tin Racecourse whenever possible on my trips to Hong Kong. I typically reserve a seat in Jun Hui Ting area on the 6th floor. This includes a very nice international buffet and free flow beer, sodas, juice, tea, or coffee. The view is excellent and the betting lines are short with seating inside and air condition to make the hot Hong Kong afternoons bearable. The price I believe is somewhere between 350-600 HKD depending on the racing that is occurring that day. I am originally from Kentucky and I am a member of the Turf Club at Churchill Downs. I would equate this experience to a similar day at my home track in that environment. I have also attended sitting in the general admission area and found that to be very enjoyable. The two food courts have just about any type of food one could want throughout the day and it is always easy to find a seat outside. Overall, if you like horse racing at all or are looking for a thrilling live sporting event to attend then a day at the races is a must.

6  Thank Chet D
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Spent an afternoon at the race track. It was a very clear and beautiful day which enhances the race course since you have the backdrop of the mountains and river behind the race course. We are far from being good at betting but the staff of the HK Jockey club is very happy to help understanding the different types of bet you can make.
Note that this was a day race. I would suggest to go to Happy Valley on HK island for evening once.

1  Thank Marc V
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Last time we were in Hong Kong, we went to Happy Valley and booked a tour through our hotel which included transportation to and from the race track, an amazing meal with unlimited beer and wine in the private members area, 30 HK$ to gamble with some lessons, private balcony viewing area and a trip down to see the horses on parade and after the race was over. The whole night was a blast so we did it again this trip, but went to the other race track at Sha Tin. It was also lots of fun although we preferred Happy Valley as it was closer to our hotel and had a larger dinning area. Either was lots of fun and I would highly recommend it. If you just want to go to gamble, then take the subway and get a general admission which is very cheap.

4  Thank Mark W
Reviewed March 30, 2013

In Hong Kong you either have to know someone or friends has to be a member of a club or association to enjoy the better perks that Hong Kong has to offer. The Jockey Club is one example. Racing is a big event in Hong Kong. Practically everyone has their radio tune to the broadcast station and/or hanging out at the outlets (OTB=off track betting) on racing day. It is alleged that Hong Kong takes in more money on racing day then...whatever it's a big number. Those that are members of the Jockey Club have to make reservations in advance for dinning and parking. If you only have four memberships and you have six guests that wants to attend on racing day then you will have to borrow some other members tags in order to get the others admitted. I am not referring to general admission but to the VIP floors. The higher the floor the more prestigious the membership. Some floors has a whole buffet setup, raw oysters, king crab legs, the works. Other floors has restaurant style where you order from a menu. All floors has cashiers, LCD monitors, ATM machines and access to outside if you want to see the race live. Some people just setup a iPad on their table and place their wagers while sitting down up to post time. Free WiFi throughout the racetrack. Not knowing the horses or jockeys, I just played the name of the horse or the number on the horse. Did not win but had a good time. I was a little worried about traffic that day because it was also the final matches of Hong Kong Seven, a rugby event. Lucky the two venues was in different parts of the city and there was hardly any traffic going to and coming back from Sha Tin. A wonderful way to spend an afternoon with friends.

2  Thank BadBoyz