“Boutique hotel, great location and amenities”
Review of Lanson Place Hotel

Lanson Place Hotel
Ranked #25 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed here recently while on a business trip, first for 3 days and then I returned on a layover on the way back home.

I must admit to being a little nervous when my company booked me here but I had a very pleasant stay overall. The rooms are not huge but well fitted out. Comfortable beds and lot of small details in the rooms. Bathrooms are very clean and offer Gilchrist & Soames amenities. The room boasts a small kitchenette, which was unexpected. I didn't really use it much but it is certainly a welcome addition on business trips. The hotel offers a good if not huge spread for breakfast. Free WiFi in the rooms is always a plus though you have to request an access code in the lobby and lounge. Entertainment options in the room are plentiful, with IPTV, iPod docks and DVD players all included. Hotel staff were polite and helpful, including the guys at the Concierge desk downstairs. I left my travel adapted in my room after the first visit and when I came back for the layover, lo and behold, it was in my room on check in with a nice note! Thank you for that!

The best feature of the room was the "Handy" smartphone that is in every room. An Android smartphone with a customized home page for Lanson Place, this was a great extra, with free local calls and 3G data. Some international countries were also free to call. I carried this device around for 3 days all over Hong Kong and it kept me connected and happy.

The hotel location is excellent. When you first pull up, you feel like you're in a quiet alley tucked comfortably away from the busy Hong Kong streets. However, you are a short walk away from Causeway Bay's main shopping areas and it is easy to get taxis and even the tram. Some good restaurants nearby, with one of my favorites, Din Tai Fung, around the corner.

A couple of irritants to be mentioned. First up, it took nearly 3 hours to get my room when I landed. After a red eye flight, this was not welcome at all. In fairness, not in the control of the hotel but still. The second thing is that the rooms do seem to have thin walls.

Overall, a good experience. I would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east have nice views of Victoria Park...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank jolen76

Reviewed June 18, 2014

HongKong is a developed city where the bar for hotel standards is set high and you have a wide array of hotels to chose from.

We have stayed at Lanson Place a couple of times because of a few factors: One, conveniently located in Causeway Bay, the shopping streets are just outside the hotel so you can grab a local HongKong meal, walk into a mid priced restaurant of pretty much any cuisine within ten minutes stroll. Lee Gardens a posh shopping mall, Hysan Place and Times Square are all within walking distance of Lanson Place. HongKong is filled with traffic congestions, so location is important. The rare few halal restaurants are also near Lanson Place.
Two, the glass seems to be double glazed so you don't hear the famous noisy HongKong streets when you are in the room.
Three, the rooms can be larger than typical HK pigeon-holed styled rooms if you stay at Grand Luxe and above room types. Rooms come with a small functional kitchenette which can be useful for stays beyond 7 days.
Four, the lobby is not on ground floor and the hotel does not have a grand frontage, upon entering the hotel you are pretty much in a quiet area decorated quaintly as an English Garden. A lovely and most importantly quiet juxtapose against the chaotic streets outside. I like point four the most because it is important that lobbies are quiet and visitors can unwind the day as they enter a hotel. Of course Lanson Place auspiciously skips 4th floor and 14th floor, noted by my little girl.
Five, you don't see the usual troop of tourists not at all on any of my stays. The guests are mostly quiet, refined and subtle.
Others, the breakfast is dull and functional but breakfast area does not have the usual awful food odours that will get into your business suits. Breakfast area is exquisitely done in the usual English / European style. Rooms are relatively clean although housekeeping could be a little more careful with corners, there are plenty of cupboards, I did notice a laundrette on the lift panels but I haven't seen it. There is no pool and no in-house restaurants in Lanson Place. There is a short room service menu hidden somewhere in one of the many drawers. There are a little too many mirrors in the rooms. Service is cold but professional. All the staff speak English well, help is always rendered professionally, warmth is not in the blood of most HK staff.

If you are looking for a discrete, quiet and professional hotel with pillow menu and larger rooms, Lanson Place is not a bad choice. It is not your usual in your face luxe hotel but I like the low decibel environment at Lanson Place most of all, particularly in HK.

Room Tip: Stay at the bigger rooms Grand Luxe and above styled rooms, any floor is fine
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank BrigL618
Reviewed June 18, 2014

It is a boutique hotel away from the madding crowd but close enough to walk to the Causeway Bay MTR in less than 10 mins. I had stayed here before and this time chose a larger room. The room was spacious and the king bed was very comfortable. What i found most helpful was the free Handy phone that allows you to make international calls to some countries and also to connect to the internet. I understand that these phones can be rented from the airport for about US$10 per day and for guests at this hotel, it is free!

The concierge is also very attentive and would open the door for the guests all the time, and hail cabs at both ends of the street. Service is excellent.

This hotel is a gem really although the cost is a little on the high side. However, as I was there during a busy period, the cost of the hotel was in fact lower than many at the CBD.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank lspsl
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We were not entirely happy with this hotel. We had chosen it on the basis of its excellent TripAdvisor reviews. We booked a deluxe room, without breakfast. It was an expensive hotel and we were expecting a flawless stay.

We were grateful that the reception staff gave us a room within an hour of us arriving at the hotel in the morning. We had not slept on the overnight flight from Rome to Hong Kong. Over the course of two nights, however, we were disappointed that the room was noisy (the walls were apparently 'thin') and our room felt very cramped. Our deluxe room was fractionally bigger than the cheaper room next door, which we were able to view while it was being cleaned. Unlike the room next door, our room was segmented into a kitchen, lounge room, and bedroom. The bed fitted snugly into the bedroom, and the bathroom was the smallest we'd experienced on our entire four week holiday in Europe. The bathroom had patterned glass walls, meaning that it was possible to determine if someone was sitting on the loo, as their legs were clearly shown through the glass.

We were very disappointed and transferred for a final night at the Harbour Grand Hotel, on Kowloon. It too has outstanding reviews on TripAdvisor. For less money, we stayed on the 20th floor in a luxurious and spacious club room, with a glorious bathroom and unforgettable views of the harbour. The price included breakfast, afternoon tea, pre dinner drinks and nibbles in the club lounge. We'd stayed there before, and would do so again.

I must add that the staff at the Lanson Place Hotel were helpful and pleasant. In particular, the concierge staff were proactive and gave us practical advice about the area. The general manager has also contacted us expressing his regrets. But we just don't believe there is value for money at the Lanson Place Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Joan C
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Very comfortable beds, dived straight into sleep once back hotel, didn't even bother switching on my favourite channels. Its very clean n smells great. breakfast is not provided in my deal with the hotel , but its common in HK. Nestled in Causeway bay, location is fantastic as its a short cab ride to anywhere central or business district. Shopping is very short walk away like 5 mins, it they open till 10+pm. Near to MTR, sogo, Hysan place etc. Hotel staff are polite and helpful. the best part of it all, each room had a phone known as "Handy" which allows you to call a few countries for free, it has mobile network, hence allow me to create hotspot for my existing phone. SO i can surf and receive whatsapp all the time without the need to buy a phone card. Apparently this service just started a couple of months. Great Job!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Esther T
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel more than once, mostly because I love the kitchenette which allows me to make a quick breakfast in the morning without going out. The room is very comfortable and efficiently planned. The location is fairly central, although it is a little hidden and admittedly I had a little problem finding my way out initially. It was the best option in Causeway Bay I could find for the price, quality and location. What prompted me to write this review, albeit belated, is how accommodating management was. If you have any problem which needs to be resolved, ask to speak to the reservation manager and they are very good about trying to accommodate your requests. I was pleasantly surprised by how efficient, prompt and eager they were to please their guests, something warranting a special comment here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank redmonkey
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I have always stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel on Kowloon when traveling to HK but decided to change it up this time. I am glad I did. The Lanson Place Hotel is amazing. It is beautiful from your first steps into the hotel. The chandeliers at reception are amazing. My room was upgraded and was like a one bedroom apartment. It was beautifully appointed.
The morning breakfast was great.
I loved this hotel - clean, super nice people that spoke very good english. I will be back!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business