“Well run mid size hotel l in CWB” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lanson Place Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Lanson Place Hotel
Ranked #19 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
London
“Well run mid size hotel l in CWB”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

For this trip we wanted to stay in Causeway Bay for easier dining and shopping options. We have contacted Lanson Place a previous two times but was always met with radio silence. This time however we tried again on the off-chance (before we confirmed our reservation with the Fleming) and received an immediate response. They offered a very competitive rate so we settled on the Lanson instead as the location was what we were after. In fact all subsquent contact and date changes (there were numerous) were dealt with quickly and efficiently, so thumbs up for the massive improvement in communication.

Taxi had some trouble finding it, mainly because of its lack of a chinese name and also the one way system in place around that area. Its situated around the corner from Jia and behind the Regal. Still it shouldn't be a problem as the Taxi drivers will radio for help, or just take along the telephone number and ask them to call up. I actually remember this building from around 2001 when it was a unfinished and unloved office block, languishing at the back of CWB. They have completely transformed the facade and turned it in to quite a lovely little hotel.

Check in was pretty quick and we got upgraded to a small deluxe room. Room was a good size, bathroom was a bit narrow but just big enough for 2 people. Decor was safe, modern, if a bit uninspiring. Its a typical modern HK hotel. I liked the 24 hr Gym and Laundromat (useful as we had just flown in from Tokyo), breakfast was adequate but as someone mentioned could get a bit congested. Taxis were plentiful and the porters would go out on to the street and hail for for you. Location is brilliant, short walk to the MTR, lots of dining options nearby and excellent for shopping. Rooms were also quiet. However, CWB is very touristy now so it gets VERY busy on the weekends so be prepared for a sea of bodies. I also noticed dining prices have gone up but as Sterling was riding high at the time it still felt very cheap!

Downside? Not many tbh. I felt the service was a bit patchy, its very young and "local", so if you are expecting slick international hotel standards Shangri-La style, IMHO its not quite there yet. We are oriental and look young but we are also in HK for business, so in the past we have received some funny reactions from HK hotel staff when we request things to be done (we are always polite I might add).

This time reception was ok if a bit frosty, but concierge made such a hash of sending fedex and mail parcels for us I was getting a bit annoyed. It was not until a older member stepped in that it was sorted with some common sense. There were other instances of incompetency and sour attitudes but not enough to put me off staying here again.

Conclusion - a well run, clean and dependable place either for business or pleasure. Definitely the best place we have stayed in the CWB/Tin Hau area and can compete in terms of value for money with Hotel Rhombus in Central. Tempted to try Jia next but Lanson's rates are very competitive so might not ever make it there. Although do try Jia's Opia restaurant for a drink, lovely little slick bar area, perfect for relaxing.

• Liked — Location, Price and free Wifi
  • Disliked — Patchy service
  • Stayed November 2007
6 Thank Dezzydez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2007

I'm an avid fan of the tripadvisor.com and this is my first post. I've always wanted to post but never got around to it. However, this time I am compelled to write about this fantastic hotel in Hong Kong.

As a regular visitor to Hong Kong (average once or twice a year), I have stayed at many hotels both in Kowloon and in Hong Kong island. However, Lanson Place far excels all other hotels I've been to in Hong Kong

Reservation

I made my booking direct with the hotel but this could have been done through expedia or as a member of the small luxury hotels group - through their website as well. However, as this trip was more complex - two rooms for six nights with a two night break in the middle (for a trip to Macao) - I emailed them directly.

There were a number of changes to my booking due to changes in my plans to the hotel was always prompt at responding and made every effort to accomodate my requests. They were polite and helpful in every step.

The price was reasonable (around HKD1600-1700 + tax) for a King Deluxe room for the pre-Christmas period

Location
Located a few minutes walk from the hustle and bustle of Causeway Bay, the hotel is close to Sogo (about 3 minutes walk) and not too far from Times Square shopping mall (about 7-10 mins walk).

Down a side street, the boutique nature of the hotel meant that most (if not all) taxi drivers did not know the location. I would recommend taking the hotel bus (from desk A1 at the airport) for HKD140 when you first arrive as it is a lot less troublesome. The journey time takes approx 45mins to 1 hour depending on traffic.

Rooms

I was most impressed by the rooms - the King Deluxe I stayed in (and the even larger super King Deluxe my parent's stayed in) were large and spacious, unlike many hotels in Hong Kong. Each featured a small kitchenette with two hobs, fridge (maybe freezer - can't remember), microwave and sink. A small welcome basket with orange and apple juice and biscuits were provided on the first day as well as two bottles of complimentary water each day.

The hotel bathrooms (as discussed on Tripadvisor) are not for the shy though with 1 of of the walls sometimes left unfrosted - whilst a mirror blocked much of this wall, those who were seated may be a bit exposed. I was staying alone so this did not concern me. My parents King Deluxe room featured a larger bathroom and did not have this problem.

Each room comes with two flat screen tvs and two dvd players!

Views aren't so good but I wasn't particularly bothered. One side of the building does face Victoria park which is nicer than the block of flats / tall buildings on the other side.

Other comments

Breakfast was simple but sufficient. Although on two of the days, they ran out of a number of foods by 9am (it was apparently fully booked pre-Christmas) wil queues gathering for a seat. The restauarant area is within a 'lounge' area so don't expect traditional tables and chairs. Good for relaxing with the newspaper but not so good if you had a bad back or prone to indigestion.

DVDs were also avaliable to rent for free from the front desk. Had some relatively new dvds (eg Die Hard 4.0) available.

Gym was modern and convenient with the lights dimmed at 11pm (but I was allowed to stay on as long as I want). Machines had personal tvs on.

There was a coin operated laundrette available too.

Front desk was helpful as was the conceirge who spotted me with a map and asked me if he could help me with directions. When no taxis were around they would go out and search the streets for them (even if this meant a walk away from the hotel) and bring them back for us.

Conclusion

All in all, an excellent and highly recommended hotel. Highlights for me are:

Room size and facilities
Gym
Friendly atmosphere

Downsides - very few

Taxi drivers don't really know where it is
Breakfast sometimes too busy and they ran out of chairs

Will upload photos as soon as I get them off my camera!

• Liked — Service, room size and quality, location
  • Disliked — Breakfast got too busy sometimes with queues developing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
8 Thank theavidtraveller
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2007

This is the second time that we are staying at Lanson Place, Hong Kong. We loved its location in Causeway Bay-a stone's throw from the Causeway Bay MTR, great food outlets at Jardine's Bazaar, good shopping at Times Square. The room is big for HK standards and there is a small kitchenette if you need to heat up food in the microwave or cook a meal. This time, our room was in an L-shaped configuration. The bedroom was a little tight but the living and study space was slightly bigger. The furnishings and fittings are still in good condition.
When we checked in for our stay, we were a little annoyed that we had to wait for our room to be ready even though it was 21/2 hours past the check-in time. I was a little taken aback too when one of the bath towels that I wanted to use had 5 holes on it. Nevertheless, the housekeeping team was prompt with providing us with good quality towels when we requested for it.
We will stay here again when we next visit HK.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Too close to other buildings
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank culturevulture2
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

My first impression could not have been better - when arriving at the hotel at 9am after a long-haul flight from Australia, I was not only given a room straight away, but was also upgraded one category and invited to have breakfast right away.

All the staff I encountered were very courteous, professional and helpful. The room was lovely, with floor-to ceiling-windows and an inland view, which became spectacular at night. A very comfortable bed (more than enough pillows :), nice raindance-shower, swivel-flat-screen TV inserted in a mirror-wall, free fruit juices, water and cookies, complimentary broadband internet - I was amost reluctant to leave the room for exploring the city during my short stopover, but the location is so good that you just walk out of the door and are in the middle of everything.

The continental breakfast is taken in the lounge, sitting on sofas or upholstered chairs, which lends it a very casual atmosphere, but may be a bit uncomfortable for some. More fresh fruit and cheese wouldn't have hurt.

In summary I had a most enjoyable stay in a luxurious, but not over-the-top hotel. It is relaxed, comfortable, not stuffy or pretentious. Will definitely book again when next in Hong Kong!

• Liked — Quiet luxury in a busy city
  • Disliked — That I spent only one night...
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Travelling_J71
St Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2007

We've been traveling to Hong Kong twice a year for the past few years, and each time we've stayed at a different hotel. All were nice, but none have compared with the Lanson Place for location, service, and quality of accommodations. From the moment that Cecilia checked us in, we felt completely at home. The assistant manager was an absolute delight, as was Andrew, the concierge who always seemed to know the right place to recommend for dinner. There's a number of very good restaurants nearby, and a movie theatre. Plus, it's not a long walk to either the metro or the Time Square shopping center, and only a short cab ride to the HK convention center. Unfortunately they don't have a restaurant, but they serve an excellent continental breakfast (included in the price), and there's a jazz duo that performs on weekends. On Sunday, after trying unsuccessfully to find a nearby protestant church service in English, we discovered that the Catholic church across the street offered a service at 11am that was completely in English. We decided to give it a try, and It was wonderful. This hotel is a gem. We recommend it highly, and will visit again soon. Lori and Barry, St. Petersburg, Florida

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — Need better lighting in the bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank SheasPapa
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2007

We stayed at the Lanson Plc 2 nights & moved on to Disneyland Hotel after that. We booked the LP, after reading nice reviews, but we had a different experience. When we checked into the hotel, there was a power trip, but it took a while before the problem was identified & solved. We put in a request for 2 additional pillows during booking; we didn't get them. I had to make 2 calls to housekeeping, & it occurred to me they prob ran out of pillows, as the 2nd pillow was in fact a cushion in a pillow case ! We didn't mind the continental breakfast but it was uncomfortable eating from the sofas in the lounge lobby. Yes, hotel is clean & modern in design & staff are polite. But it lacked warmth & was clinical in the atmosphere. I tend to agree with one of the earlier reviewers over the functionality of the kitchen area and the lack of a bath tub - it really hit us hard when we realised there isn't any. Design of the room is awkward, & not great when you have young kids. There seems to be a lot of storage. With the kitchen & storage, the bedroom area is tiny. I would prob think this hotel works for the business travellers ; its got a nice biz cte. We were very much disapppointed ; fortunately we had a more relaxing & enjoyable time at the Disneyland Hotel (pls see separate review).

• Liked — Nothing really
  • Disliked — Design of the room, Lack of bathtub, Not comfortable bed & pillows, Location, Lack warmth
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Bishan
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

this place is a wonderful home in Hong Kong. We liked everyting about it!!
(specially the view at night, overlooking the citylights from our bed! nice)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple