“Fantastic Stay”

Disney's Hollywood Hotel
Ranked #93 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed November 11, 2012

From the moment we arrived we were amazed at the Disney detail, everything at the hotel was themed around Mickey, some examples are from tiles on the floors, carpets, bedcovers, lights on the roof, the lift had the voices of Mickey and Minnie so when you got to your level you would hear them, and the cute little toiletries with the lids in the shape of Mickey mouse ears. All the staff at the hotel were outstanding, always willing to help and give advice. The grounds were well kept, the swimming pool was shaped like a piano and there is also a life guard at the pool, the kids got a surprise when Goofy turned up at the pool. Our room faced the park which was fantastic as at night we would sit there watching the fireworks, with the tv playing the music behind us. We were sad to leave Disneyland Hollywood Hotel as we so enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Disney's Hollywood Hotel

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I couldn't tell from the reviews what the difference between the Disneyland Hotel and the Disney's Hollywood Hotel were. Now that I've been there, here it is:

<b> Hotel Style: </b>
Disneyland Hotel is designed like an old English chateau, with a grand piano in the lobby, giant chandeliars leading down to the Cinderella ballroom and a hedge maze in the garden.

Disney's Hollywood Hotel is designed Art Deco style, sorta like Gotham City, so there is a lot of metal and neon lights in its decoration. There are still Mickey Mouse icons incorporated in some of the lamps, fences and carpets.

Who wins? If you want the whimsical and magical fantasy experience that is so closely associate with Disney and its princesses, Disneyland Hotel definitely serves this to you on a silver platter.

<b>Meeting Disney Characters </b>

Disneyland Hotel: You can pay additional to have breakfast with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto. This was definitely a highlight and well worth the cost. We did not have to queue hours at the Disneyland theme park just to take photos with these mascots.
Also, we saw Belle from Beauty and the Beast and Aurora from Sleeping Beauty twice in the 4 hours that we were exploring the grounds. It's magical, seeing real princesses sitting by the grand piano of your hotel

Disney's Hollywood Hotel: None, as far as I could see

Who wins? Disneyland Hotel. I am staying in this hotel simply based on this.

</\b>Distance from Disneyland Theme Park: </b>

Who wins? Disney's Hollywood Hotel marginally.
Disneyland Hotel is slightly further than Disney's Hollywood Hotel, though they are next to each other. The shuttle bus first goes to the Disneyland Hotel, then to Disney's Hollywood Hotel. Staying at Disney's Hollywood Hotel hence saves you a few minutes on your way there. Of course, on the way back from the theme park, you go to the Disneyland Hotel, then Disney's Hollywood Hotel so it evens out. You always want the journey to the themepark to be shorter though!

<b> Cost: </b>

Who wins? Disney's Hollywood Hotel marginally.

Disney's Hollywood Hotel was just SGD$50 less than Disneyland Hotel when I booked. I booked it also because I thought "Hollywood" meant that the hotel would be glamorous and contemporary. However, because I seek a older Disney charm, I will gladly pay the additional cost to stay in the Disneyland Hotel next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
22  Thank wohenshy
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Returning after 5 years and expectations ran quite high since our last stay was nothing short of fantastic. I suppose the "magic" rubs off on us who left Neverland for the reality of the world as we know it (sometimes I think Peter Pan had the right of it...).

This time around, the place, whilst still magical for my kids (aged 12, 7 and 4), looked to me a little tired. We arrived at 2:30 (check in time was listed at 3:00) and thankfully the front desk was able to get us a room straight away.

Room was as we remembered it. Wow factor still present for the kids and the design still brought smiles to my and my wife's faces. Amenities were nice and of good quality and the old Hollywood theme is timeless. The gardens are well manicured, nicely arranged and refreshing. The playground is a nice touch and lots of areas for photo opportunities. Pool is nice and heated and the jacuzzi is just perfect for a good warm soak.

Housekeeping was a little obtrusive, attempting to make up the room while we were still in room and kept knocking. My Potonghua was rusty and did not understand a word of Cantonese, and the staff were not conversant in English so it took a while to understand each other until their manager came to sort things out. Made full use of the situation by requesting a firmer pillow (the ones they had in room was way too soft for me).

Breakfast a Chef Mickey was what I remembered it (nicely presented but tasted average). Skip the western selection and head for the Japanese and the dimsum.

The lobby was ALWAYS CROWDED! The staff, friendly and helpful as they are, just could not cope with the number of people in the lobby. Later on, I found out a reason why there was a sea of humanity even in the late hours of the evening. The hotel after half a decade still did not provide wifi services in the room. You had to access wifi in the lobby. Consequently, all of the lounge chairs are full of people firing off emails, updating Facebook accounts, tweeting, streaming, etc. I think for the price that we paid, in room wifi should be standard. Note to hotel management: This is Asia - only a minority use LAN cables...

I was also disappointed that they turned Malibu into an arcade. I liked it better 5 years ago when it was a child's playroom. Just another way to earn a buck, I suppose.

The bus stop staff were pretty helpful and efficient during ultra peak hours of shuttle to the park. Word to the wise: the shuttle bus to the park first stops at Disneyland Hotel before Hollywood, so there is a chance that the buses will have limited seats.

Check out was easy and the left baggage service was likewise on the ball. The concierge service was spot on and very helpful.

MAY stay here in the future, but would avoid it during peak season as the crowds can be daunting.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank viajeroManila
Reviewed November 7, 2012

If you are with kids best place to stay buy two days tickets and visit park both days ,can get indian food at adventure land.This place little crowded and also check in at 3.00 pm and checkout at 11.00 am .so you are paying hotel rent not exactly one day it is for 20 hours. Staff is helpful.Limited indian food in hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pavan208
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed one night as a family of four in a large double room while visitng HK Disneyland for two days in August 2011. The experience of staying in the hotel was nice as it is near to the Disney theme park and well connected with regular shuttle bus service from the part to the hotels (the other one being the Disney Hotel).

The hotel is less in price compared to the Disney hotel but it is still a fantastic property. The rooms have many things which are shaped as Disney's characters (like Mickey shaped soap) makes the children happy.

The Piano shaped pool is excellent especially after a long hot day in the theme park. My 4 year old son was thrilled when Goofy showed up at the pool and played with all the children.

Free Wifi is available in the lobby (not in the room) and one of the restaurants has some Indian vegetarian food options as well.

Tip: I also had booked a breakfast (21 days in advance) at the Enchanted Garden (in Disney Hotel) which was a great experience (It is very expensive though) and I found myself going all mushy when Mickey and other characters showed up at our breakfast table. My 4 year old kid loved the experience and still remembers it many months after.

Tip 2: The breakfast at Enchanted may not be worth it if you have older children who have outgrown Mickey, Goofy and Pluto (as only these characters show up).

Tip 3: Avoid going to the Disney park during Chinese summer holidays as it was way too much crowded and there is unbelievable waiting time (45 - 60 mins) for most of the rides. Could not do much at the park due to the long queues and extremely hot weather.

Room Tip: We booked a garden view room and still had part view of the sea and the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank H B
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during the low season and paid below the average price. We still found it a little too pricey.

Hotel grounds were well kept and we could see staff tried their best at check-in's. There were organized lines and staff roaming the floor would immediately start an empty counter (if there was one left) to aid the crowd.

Rooms were clean but the view from our room was blocked by trees and leaves.

They played cartoons on one channel but we noticed it was just on a loop.

We ate at Chef Mickey's for dinner and the waiter spilled a tray of drinks all over the table and my husband. It was an accident and he apologized profusely but nothing was being done otherwise. With our appetites gone, I took the liberty of explaining our situation to the manager. She kindly offered to clean my husband's clothes but later admitted they could not do so. They provided a selection of shirts from the gift shop for my husband to select. Although the whole process was a little strange, the manager(s) were pleasant, extremely apologetic and accommodating.

Service overall was good, but being a Disney hotel, I was expecting more, especially for the price I was paying.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Hi. We had stayed in this hotel last Oct 26 and the view was excellent from our room. We were at the seaside view of this hotel. When we arrived at the hotel reception, the front desk lady asked for my credit card as the usual standard operating procedure of all the hotels as a deposit for our stay. But unfortunately, I had a trouble with the Chef Mickey restaurant inside the hotel when were having our breakfast. At the reception of the restaurant, we were already asked if we had a breakfast coupon but i said no, it was not included in our package so i just told her that we were guests in the hotel and she could just charge it to our room since she also asked for our room number. So, she said we can go ahead and enjoy the buffet. I saw the two servers namely Bobby and gladwyn, I had a hint already that they were talking about our table. So, when I went back to our table after i got my first appetizer, my daughter told me that the food server named Bobby asked her to pay first before we can enjoy our meal. I was really embarrased because it was very unethical in our country to ask a guest to pay while eating. And the approach was really humiliating just like that we didn't have money to pay or we were treated like we were gate crashers . I was really upset that's why I called the attention of the manager but he didn't do anything but he just told the two servers to transfer to other tables. So, when I approached the other manager who was very accommodating, she even explained everything to us, maybe the male manager doesn't know how to explain it well in english so he even told me just to sit in my table and he'll talk to the two servers but did nothing at all. The lady manager was much better, she even assisted us and brought the bill to our room when she explained to us that there was a problem at the lobby fron desk since the receptionist did not declare that we had a deposit since she swiped my credit card. It was not reflected on their record. If only they explained it to me well, i should have understood ithe situation before we proceeded to the buffet. This was my bad experience in this hotel and i couldn't forget this because in the Phils, it will never happen. The people are so hospitable and accommodating and I am not really used to this kind of treatment, I mean, the experience I had with Hongkong people was terrible. oh well, we have different culture as well!

Room Tip: Sea side view is also awesome to all nature lovers
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Thank maria bella yol... a