“Great surprise”

Ranked #91 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Manila, Philippines
“Great surprise”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel. Having stayed in hotels in the city before, I wasn't expecting much - in fact, I was a little nervous about taking my family here as I had initially booked in the Disneyland Hotel but my travel agent made a mistake and booked us here, and I worried about the lower price. However, I didn't ask to change it anymore thinking we'd spend the whole day at the park anyway and the dollars saved could well go into expenses for souvenir and snacks. But the room was great, compared to hotels in Kowloon and Hong Kong for the same price. The staff were also very helpful, which was a great plus because we were there on a Saturday and the hotel was crazy busy. They had a small gift shop that had most of the souvenir items you would find at the park so you didn't have to buy them there and lug them with you to your rides, etc. We stayed at the park till the fireworks display and worried about the lines to ride the shuttle bus back to the hotel.Thankfully though, there were a lot of buses on hand so there we didn't have to wait in line at all. My children also loved that the heated pool was open till 10pm so they were able to spend a bit time there after a whole day at the park. An added bonus was Goofy coming in to take pictures and swim with them! Had breakfast at the Hollywood and Dine, which was a great option if your kids are not heavy eaters.

My only gripe was the short stay - you could only get into the room at 3, and you had to check out at 11am. If I had known this was a good hotel I could have booked more nights. Next time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ai_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Esplanade
Reviewed September 9, 2012

After an enjoyable magical weeklong cruise on the Disney Dream this summer, my visit to Disney Hollywood Hotel was a big let-down.

Although, there are a lot of Disney designs, motifs and themes in the hotel, I didn’t sense the magic and warmth of the Disney crew, the minute i alighted from my transport to the hotel. At check-in, the front desk staff was rather stiff and answered in a staccato manner. When we enquired about getting a late check-out as we had a late flight, instead of seeing how we can be accommodated, she gave an immediate no. We were surprised as we were aware that the hotel was not running at full occupancy. Instead, she said they can offer us a “hospital” room. My wife was slightly taken aback until I interjected “You mean a hospitality room” to which the staff nodded.
Next, the staff gave us wrong information regarding the location of our room and we went hunting for the room for the next 5 minutes.

Our Garden View room was located on the 3rd floor with a immediate view of the top of the roof of the covered walkway below us. As you enter the room, the cupboard has no doors (open concept), with the room safe above an empty mini-fridge. Size of room was adequate for the 3 of us. Bathroom is on the small side but with a small bathtub and handheld showers. Bath and face towels, toothbrushes, paper cups, bottles of drinking water, a small bottle each of a shampoo conditioner and bath gel soap, and a small bar of soap. Free tea and coffee facilities are available together with a portable kettle.
I thought the room looked generally clean until i saw 2 hanging cobwebs – which were definitely not part of the Halloween decor. 3 pairs of bedroom slippers were provided; one of them was too small for my child which was not surprising since no one asked how old my child was even though the hotel was aware that there was 2 adults and 1 child in my party.

We ate dinner in the Studio Lounge the first night – while the prices were reasonable the quality of the food (with the exception of the spaghetti) was unacceptable. Our order of nasi goring and fried noodles were disappointing; tasteless and oily although the portions were generous. The satay that came with the nasi goring came with too much fat on the thin slice of meat. Service was unattentive; no one refiiled our glasses of water, enquired about the meal or stood close enough to attend to us when we wanted the bill.

We had a more satisfactory meal and pleasant experience at the quick service cafe, Hollywood and Dine which served sandwiches, (instant) soup noodles , snacks and drinks. Comparatively cheaper than the Studio Lounge but a bottle of coke costs HKD25

We were offered a hospitality room for 45 minutes on the day of our check-out. The hospitality room was a disabled accessible hotel room on the ground floor. I wondered if it made more sense for Disney to have given us a late check-out as they would not have to clean-up our original room and the hospitality room as well. It would also have saved us the inconvenience of packing and storing our bags with the bell hop.

The access to the Park from the hotel is 5 minutes. Buses are frequent (about 10 minutes) during peak hours.

Overall, an ordinary if not disappointing experience as one expects the stay at a Disney resort to be magical.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank vinz20
Mount Gambier, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had a great stay at the Hollywood hotel. Staff were great and very attentive, room was nice and clean. The food options were good and we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. We had dinner with Chef Mickey one night and our son was thrilled! I would recommend staying during the week if possible as the weekend was crazy, but by Monday was so very quiet. The shuttle to the Disney park was quick and easy to use.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tam13
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not that expensive compared to the other one inside disney resort. If you want to make the most of disneyland, you've got to stay here and check their package/promo. It's good to book a stay and get park tickets for 2 days. But like ocean park, don't go on january. The pool is closed. The downside of this hotel is... the restaurants are expensive. They have variety but still with high price for the type of food and service. So don't expect much. Still, you get the value with the theme and the views and the location.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Zerg29
melbourne
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel from 23rd - 28th August 2012, with my daughter-in-law 31yrs & granddaughter 4yrs, I 'm 53yrs.
I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world & I rate this one extremely high,the hotel was spotless clean though out ,staff where pleasent at all times & very helpful to the 3 of us. The eating facilities at hotel catered for all taste , & prices to me where very reasonable.
This hotel is the one that I would recommend for children ,as it openly welcomes them .
The rooms are of a good size,tv caters for children,which keeps them occupied when in the room, 3 bottles of water are given per day , & my granddaughter loved going into the room each night to find soap,shampoo,bathgel , novelty facewasher,3 lots of slippers,notepad & pencil.
The staff also gave her stickers though out our stay ,when they saw her she got over 2 dozen while we where there.
Buses to Diseyland where just out the door to your left & our wait was no more then 4 minutes for a bus & we went over to Diseyland 4 times during our stay.
We could not fault the place , worth every penny...

Room Tip: We stayed in Park View room , which was execellant to watch fire works light up sky at night, chann...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank richann
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed in HKG Disneyland's Hollywood Hotel from 20-22 August for my daughter's 5th Birthday.
Checking in was a breeze, if you can get over just how busy the hotel is. It can be overwhelming. We went during the start of summer and the hotel was very busy. There was never a time I saw the lobby empty!

Rooms are clean, but very small. Coming from a stay in the Disneyland Hotel from 2 years back, this was, unfortunately, a downgrade. Thankfully, the bathrooms are clean and the towels are fresh. The housekeeping staff are great at what they do, at least that's a plus. They do not scrimp on leaving new Mickey paper cups for the children.

There is no wifi in the room and the internet connection would cost you HK120 for the first 24 hours. I think this is why the lobby was always full. They, at least, provide you with 3 bottles of water every day.

Sleep quality is not that great as you would often hear thumping and loud noises from other rooms. However, when you report it to the front desk, they would send someone up and settle it.

The food outlets were just OK but are thoughtful enough to serve them in nice platters for the kids.

The upside to all this is swimming with Goofy. That made up for whatever lack there was in everything else. The staff were not shooing the children away from Goofy, but instead, encouraged them to swim with him.

Still, a magical time for the kids, but can be harrowing for the adults. Come in an off season and there may be less people milling around.

Room Tip: Get the upper floors to get rid of the thumping sounds from the rooms above.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lmptorres
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stay for one night in the hotel when we visit Hong Kong. The shuttle bus provides are great . We can easily reach Disneyland by bus. However the facilities of the hotel is limited. We have difficulty to find food in the hotel especially after 9 onward . Seems do not have much choice for food. It will be great if they can improve on this matter.Room was decent .

• Stayed December 2011