“Definitely recommended!”
Review of Xi Hotel

Xi Hotel
Ranked #154 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Checking in was a breeze. We got there way before the 2pm check in time, but no problems whatsoever with leaving our luggage in their storage until we got back from our 1st round of shopping at around 5pm. Front desk staff were easy to talk to and very helpful (without even asking, they offered an adapter for our chargers, assisted us with locating places easily, etc.). The hotel is just a very short walk from the trains, ferry terminal and of course, all the shops and restaurants in Tsim Sha Tsui (it's just behind The Peninsula and Sheraton). Very safe street on which The Minden is located, Minden Ave. It reminded me of the West Village in New York, with the bars and restaurants that line it. This impression is just for this particular street, though.

The Minden Hotel's Room 702 was simple but very comfortable; the bed fit two perfectly. The mattress may be a little bit too firm for some but totally okay with us. Sheets and pillows were clean (and smelled that way). I was surprised too, at how comfortable the pillows were, considering this is just a 3-star hotel.

Prior to the trip, I read about the poorly soundproofed walls. This didn't bother me until our last morning. It was still to my advantage because I was really supposed to wake up early... and I did, thanks to the noisy family waiting for the elevator. My friend didn't hear anything, though.

We had a clean, well lit and spacious bathroom with only one downside: it got quite cold because of outside air that seeped through the window (even when closed) on one side of the shower stall... survivable, though. Not sure if it would still be if it were a colder time (we were there 2nd week of January).

Breakfast, served at Courtney's on the 5th floor, made my day! I loved their blueberry danish and coffee! Sausage roll is quite good, too! I enjoyed eating in this small but nicely decorated area. While the spread is limited to hard boiled egg, toast, plain croissant, danish (plain, blueberry and another fruit), sausage roll, cereal, fruits and yoghurt, orange juice, coffee and tea, heavy eaters will appreciate that they may eat to their heart's content.

I rated Average for "Value" because their rates were steeper than other 3-star hotels in the TST area (especially during the super peak season we were in), but I'm still happy we settled for The Minden. The room, breakfast, location and service made it worth their price.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank elaineeyyy

Reviewed January 12, 2012

Centrally located hotel in Kowloon adjacent to all local attractions. The staff made this stay exceptional. The hotel is small but clean. Short walk to the Star Ferry. Continental breakfast was great. Exceptional staff ! Great value for money.

Room Tip: Short walk to Star Ferry.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Even though I rate The Minden average, I would definitely recommend it to friends and coworkers. The deal I got through TripAdvisor and Expedia made it well worth the money for the area of Kowloon it's in. The Minden has a helpful and polite staff, is clean, and is a great value, especially considering what the others in the area charge.

The location is very good - an easy walk to the Star Ferry, to shopping, to the waterfront walk, the Peninsula Hotel, and much more. Some might not like that it is located behind Chungking Mansions, but I don't find that a problem at all.

Good job, Minden staff!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Minden Row can be noisy, but I'm not sure if there is any quiet place in this part...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mlfranklin
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights with this hotel back Aug. The hotel is pretty decent with all basic ameneties. Few things I noted though. No bell boy service to carry your luggage when you check-in. B'fast is just about decent not good. There's a few pubs around the hotel so gets a bit noisy on the weekends. I had read about this already so I got myself a higher floor. The only caveat is Wi-fi works on the lower floors only. They have the usual LAN cable though so if you have a laptop, you're covered. Rooms are decent sized but no Ironing board provided in the room. I had to call the reception to get an Ironing board which they gave very promptly. The pillows were too flat, so I asked for extras but since it was weekend rush, so they didnot have any. Tough luck. Service is fast.
About the location, very very near to TST(E) MTR and some of the good attractions like the Star ferry, Avenue of stars, Salisbury etc. Another good thing is transport to airport, this place has tons of taxis/minivans right below the hotel. So you can bargain quick and skip the hassle of booking a taxi in advance.
One thing I really didn't like about the location of this hotel was the walk from hotel to TST E Mtr. You have to pass through some of the backyards of hotels/restaurants etc and you'd see either hotel staff or random people sitting around the corners, smoking and stuff. I would've just avoided that route if I could but that was the shortest route to the MTR.
Bottom line, I would opt. for YMCA Salisbury any day provided they have vaccancies. But for the price you pay Minden is definitely a very good bet.

Room Tip: Choose high floors. Weekend rates are higher.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This boutique hotel came highly recommended in the Lonely Planet. We booked it for three nights and were not disappointed. The rooms were not very large but adequately sized and comfortable. The breakfast was just serviceable but then HK has lots of great places to eat and I would not mind not taking the hotel's breakfast. The public areas were small but then, this is HK and space is a premium. My room had a slight view of HK harbour. The location was great with the MTR just a couple of metres away. It is also near enough to walk to the Avenue of the Stars. For shopping, Carnavon and Kimberly Sts were not far to walk to either. All in, its worth the money in terms of comfort after a long day of shopping and sightseeing, a haven in Tsim Sha Tsui.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank chongbrood
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We booked this Hotel as our favourite HK hotel was not available. Thought I did the right thing by booking and paying for a "Deluxe Queen" size room with Agoda. What a disappointment! We arrived in the early afternoon and my heart sank already when I saw the neighbourhood and then had to drag our cases into the lobby ourselves. No doorman or any assistance. We were given a very dinghy, dark and smelly room on the 6th floor facing the street. As it is not our habit to complain, we just accepted it. Room size was reasonable for HK. General location was very good (that's why I chose The Minden in the first place). Near MTR and K11 Shopping Mall and hundreds of small shops, eateries etc all around. But then the noise from the night-clubs , that had been mentioned by other reviewers, started. It was unbelievably loud and really unacceptable. They should have triple-glazing !! Besides, the window in the bathroom is not double-glazed and although we kept the bathroom door closed, there was no escape from the racket. The following nights were better - thank goodness. (Or perhaps I had got used to it?) The bathroom was very well functioning with a nice shower and enough room to move. Although I am used to hard beds all over China, these are ridiculously hard! The oldfashioned bulky TV set surprised us in the otherwise high-tech minded HK. The included breakfast was for us the best aspect of the hotel. There is a nice outdoor area as well which you can escape to if the 6 airconditioning units in the b'fast room freeze you to death. :) I loved the artwork throughout the hotel but can not possibly recommend the Minden Hotel to my friends and only because it's small, it's not a "Boutique Hotel" in my book. And I still wonder, if we were actually given a Deluxe room.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms on each floor, so I don't know if an upper floor would have been any bett...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goldfingers
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Booked Minden via Agoda.com but upon seeing the reviews on Trip Advisor, I became really scared!

The hotel was nothing fancy but the location was great -- very near the MTR and the staff are very very accommodating. All my requests were granted, pronto! I even overslept on my last day and only checked out at least two hours after the check-out time. They didn't charge me extra!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends