“Small but fine”

Ranked #107 of 157 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
California
“Small but fine”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I literally came here to sleep between flights and for that purpose it was perfect. Room was barely larger than the bed, but had a TV (which I didn't use) and a bedside table. Clean sheets and towels, though I still opted to sleep in my sleeping bag liner. Room had A/C which was necessary given the humidity this time of year. Room had no windows so was pitch black once I turned off the lights. Great location, easy to locate, very central; for the price I can't imagine you'd find anything significantly better. Staff was helpful (he loaned me a converter) as well and communal shower was clean.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank NilikutaShani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Washington DC area
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This place was fine for four days. The rooms were clean, but really tiny. The bathroom was clean, but there was no handsoap in it. That's one thing I would have liked to see. I had no problems with the owner, he was pleasant and helpful to me. I showed up around midnight on a Sunday, he said pay me in the morning, I left at 6am that morning, and got back around 1:30 am the next day. When I awoke the 2nd morning, I got up and paid him, no complaints or anything, which was nice. I couldn't get the AC to stay at a good temperature, it was either too hot or too cold, but that could be from me not really using that kind of unit before. Free wifi was nice. The location is awesome, can't beat it. He allowed me to store my luggage there after I left. I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank TravelEMG
lisboa
Reviewed September 9, 2009

This hostel has very small rooms. It is very clean has a good location. It was really nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank mjlx_69
kl
Reviewed August 11, 2009

HONG KONG BUDGET HOSTEL only less than 10 rooms
I booking online by www.hostels.com pay deposit 10% . We (5 family member + 2 friend) reach there 3/8/2009 1pm. The lady boss show us the unhappy face & impatient. After check in we want go to having lunch, she ask me to clear hostel payment. I ask her to calculate for me, she just simply show me the total of 3 rooms. Then i request her show me the price one by one room (easy for me to collect money). After that, she unable to calculate same figures she show me total before. She ask wait for her husband jacky back to calculate payment for me & she write down my passport detail keep my passport.
dialogue.....
me: why u want to keep my passport?
boss: cause u not yet settle the payment.
me: i want settle now but u cant show me the real price, i stand here wait u calculate more than 20 minute already. we very hungry need to have lunch now, can i pay after lunch?
boss: but i need to keep your passport ( throw my passport on table)
me: if u want to keep, can u promise me my passport will be safe till i m back?
boss: take back!!! (show face again)
We 6 people off 2 rooms air-corn go for lunch downstair (just on one room air-corn for 1 person tired stay in hostel sleep). After lunch, we back to hostel rooms saw she off my friend room air-corn till my friend sleep hot & wet (we scare he will get sick). Then i ask her why she off air-corn?
Dialogue.....
me: why u turn off air-corn? i have friend sleep inside.
boss: i told u when all of u go out must off air-corn.
me: we off 2 rooms already but another room have people sleep.
boss: i dont know leave one people sleep inside, u didint tell me how many of u going out.
me: u can knock ask is it anybody inside.
boss: u better tell me next time then (ignore me)
We just scare my friend get sick only. After that, we take rest in rooms waiting her husband back to collect money.
THE BOSS (JACKY) BACK!!!!!!!!!
(knock the doll impolitely)
Dialogue........(Jacky show RUDE speaking)
jacky: i hear from my wife say your guys many complaint. what u want complaint? u complaint she off your room air-corn? i already told u go out must off air-corn, anything wrong? u didnt tell my wife how many people of u go out so is not our proplem, is your proplem.
me: we will follow your hostel rule but u can try to knock & ask. we cant every time go out to find your guys to tell right? if your guys not here how?
jacky: my wife want to keep your passport but u dont want give her & u say she will lost your passport. if like that u pay la, u can pay!!!!!!!!!!!!
me: i didnt say your wife will lost my passport, i just ask her to take care of my passport. And i want to settle payment but your wife dont know how to calculate the price. (i also dont want pay the simply amount she ask me to pay...better make it clearly then i will pay)
jacky: if u dont want to pay, off course we need to keep your passport. if u run away how?
me: our lugguge all here, why u say like that? i say again i want to make payment, i didnt make trouble, just your wife cant clearly show me the payment how can i pay? not my problem right?
jacky: say easily... u leave luggage run away dont want pay money!!!!!
me: our is guest why u talk rude?
jacky: i right i dont think need to talk u politely.if u unhappy u can leave here. leave here!!!!!!
me: ok. u want us leave ok, pls refund the deposit. i also dont want stay here!!
jacky: u unsatisfied leave here, i wont refund deposit for u. u better leave, i dont want do your business.
me: u ask us to leave must refund back deposit.
jacky: why i want refund to u, u want to leave not i didnt force u!
i really give up talk to him then i call police to settle problem. the police give me phone no to conplaint this hostel
WE MOVE OUT THERE WOULDNT STAY ONE NIGHT
suggestion: u can stay in same building 6 floor 中港, lady boss call ada. nice room, cheaper.

HE really rude, i dont want

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank coco_yong

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed May 13, 2009

My family (my wife, daughter and me), together with our friend and his family, stayed in this hostel for three nights last October 2008. Since we were really on a tight budget and we didn't want to take a package tour, we opted for this hostel upon the recommendation of a freind who has also stayed there. From the airport, It wasn't really difficult to find the bus which would take us to Mongkok. And after getting off the bus along Nathan Road, it was only a matter of minutes before we were able to locate Sincere House. It was a good thing that I was able to see some pictures on blogs featuring the hostel. Anyway, the building itself is so unassuming. It really didn't look like a hostel (or even a dozen or so hostels) is situated in the building. It was not the best-looking building but it's already okay to us, as long as it's safe. Mr. Jacky is not that unfriendly, as some of the reviews stated. He was very accomodating with our questions. He gave us directions to where we are going, etc. We were lucky enough to get two adjacent rooms with windows! Although the rooms were small compared to regular hotels, they were really very clean -- even the bathroom (which was a very important aspect to us)! We really didn't have much time to spend inside our rooms since our schedule was very tight. But after a day full of activities, it was really nice place to rest in. Despite the very busy street outside, the hostel and building was really surprisingly quiet and peaceful. Overall, I recommend this hostel to vacationers on a budget. Very accessible, clean, safe and very near the MTR station, ladies and night markets.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank rafgar
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Like every budget hostel in Hong Kong, the Budget Hostel is located inside a multi story building and is tiny. Unlike other options this one is very clean. We chose a private room with private bathroom and despite the size issue we were comfortable.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Hong Kong accomodation is expensive and this hostel is defintely budget accomodation.It is situated in a high storey residential building. The room was very small and although we booked a double we got a room with a bunk bed, which which too small and rickety to sleep both of us so we ended up sqashed on the bottom bunk. The location was good with nearby shops and good transport links.Dont think I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple