“Chunking Mansion”

Ranked #107 of 157 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Chunking Mansion”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Service: Pretty terrible. One guy we asked for help getting into our room was a total jerk.

Value: It's much cheaper than a hotel, but for the price of a triple or even a single room I would have rather stayed at an actual hotel or at the least a different hostel.

Sleep Quality: In the triple room two of us had to share a very small bed, so needlessly to say the sleep quality was pretty bad as well.

Cleanliness: The entire Chunking mansion is covered in dirt and grim. Our room wasn't much better and neither was the bathroom/shower. The only plus, they gave us fresh towels everyday.

Location: The mansion is located in TST which is a pretty popular area. Easy to get around from the subway or by bus. It's also within walking distance to the ferry which was my favorite way to get to HK Island.

Rooms: The single room was very cramped but much cozier and cleaner. The triple was a little less cramped but still crapy.

Overall Review:
I knew what I was signing up for when I went for price versus quality, but even so the Budget Hostel was an adventure. My first reaction as me and my friends walked into the Chunking Mansion was pure astonishment and surrealism. We didn't even make it up the front steps before we were offered tailored suits by a dozen people outside on the stoop. When we refused and continued on, they moved to selling cheap rooms at the numerous different hostels. And finally they ended their selling pitch by offering multiple types of drugs.

It was packed with small shops and reminded me of a bazaar. There are different blocks to the mansion so we had to struggle through to the D block elevators. The elevators in this building are very small and can only accommodate 7 to 8 people. There are about a dozen or two different hostels on the upper floors of the mansion so there was a very long line to use the elevators.

We had to wait about 20 minuets to use the elevator and make it to the hostel. After we checked in and paid for the reservation we were showed to our rooms. One person booked separately and booked a single room. This room was on the same floor as the main office. It looked fairly decent since they just remodeled the hallways. The room was really small but expectable. There was an entry space and the rest of the room was the bed. There was also a tiny bathroom which was very difficult to use comfortably.

The staff member took the rest of us down to the 7th floor through the stairway to enter our room. If you ever stay at the Chunking Mansion, it is much faster to use the stairways even if they are many stories high, however they are completely dirty and in many spots it looked like blood was splattered on the walls and floors. We half jokingly wondered if someone was murdered there.

We booked a triple room which we should have known was gonna be a tight fit. The sign above the hallway to our room had the name of a different hostel, so I assume that many of the hostels in the mansion are actually owned by the same family or owner. As soon as we entered the hallway we could tell that our room was going to be much rougher than the single. Essentially our room had a single bed to the left and a small double to the right. There was a small fridge and a busted TV that didn't work. The bathroom was bigger than the single room's bathroom, but the door (which was a set of sliding doors) was broken so we had difficulty closing it. Overall the room was pretty crapy. It didn't feel very clean (especially the bathroom/shower).

We stayed in HK for about a week so sleeping and getting comfortable at the hostel was damn near impossible. On the bright side it forced us to spend as much time out in the city as possible. We had some troubles getting into our room once and the one staff member who was there was a total dick and was rude the whole time. After that incident we refused to encounter anymore staff members.

Overall, I would only recommend this hostel for someone who was desperate for a place to stay for a day or two only. Any longer and you're better off at a different hostel (I hear the YMCA has a decent hostel). Even though it has the bare basic amenities to get by, it's far from comfortable or desirable.

Room Tip: You're better off getting a single than a triple if traveling with multiple people.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank SYM0913

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This place,though basically a back packers little town,is massive.There are soo many hostels in that one building you would be amazed.I still need to understand the architecture.And you will be where everything happens,thus you can walk to almost every location.
The prices are also very great ranging from 150 for a single(shared bathroom,to 200(Double,Ensuit).Make sure you haggle,they normally start at a higher rate.
One can easily walk in and get a room ,and normally if one hostel is already fully booked,they would normally guide or take you to another that has room.
The rooms are quite clean,but some have a stuffy smell to them.You can ask to be shown the room before you make your payment.Most have a fan instead of ac.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank wangechigitahitravel
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Honestly as this was a budget hotel we knew what to expect however.... My husband and I could not fit in the room with our luggage. We had to let one in close the door wait in the toilet, whilst the other one entered. We knew it was cheap but honestly the smallest double bed you have ever seen. We did complain and today got upgraded to a room where we can both move ( carefully)
If you are a westerner I would definitely advise 2 single beds as the rooms are bigger. Very clean.

Room Tip: Room 1002 is the bigger room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grumorf
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Be careful the reservation.
I reserved Hong Kong Budget Hostel two rooms for 3 nights by e-mail directly and I confirmed before a day to fly and hostel reply e-mail too. I arrived hostel at 6PM and the stuff said no rooms for me and friends because I check-in late. He said I must check-in 2PM and he is very rude. I told him I confirmed by e-mail already but he told me "no room for you". He is nothing to do, don't even say "sorry". He doesn't help me and impolite.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Jitter_M

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've now stayed at the Hong Kong Budget Hostel at the past 6 of 7 visits to Hong Kong and I will go back again when I return in the future. I've read the reviews from others and I'm not sure if I have a different expectation of the hostel or what. I've never had any altercation with Jacky in the past and I've always gone with my children who were about 6 & 8 at the time of the first visit and are now 12 & 14. No trouble there,ever.
Hong Kong Budget Hostel IS small, there is no disputing that, however it is cheap, clean and handy to just about everywhere. MTR and buses are just outside the door and an octopus card is worth it's weight in gold.
The rooms are small, the beds are unbelievably HARD and you have to share your shower with the toilet and if you're not careful, you could flood your room out if you don't shut the foldy door, but the worst I've ever done is drip water on the floor when I got out of the shower/bathroom/tiny en-suite, but having the bathroom with the room makes it worth while. The rooms are cleaned everyday and the towels are replaced everyday - I use the term towel loosely, as you could spit peas through them, they are that thin- not to mention SMALL, but I've learnt over the years to take a microfibre towel to dry myself in the shower and use the supplied towel for the smaller bits - feet,hair etc.
There is a tv in the room, but we've never watched it as 1/ its really bad reception 2/ it's really hard to see from any bed except the one single bed on the opposite wall. There is no fridge, but there is always hot water available to make a cup of tea or a bowl of noodles.
There is ample storage facilities under the beds in the rooms on the 7th floor and laundry can be done @ Dragon hostel on the same floor.
There are lots of great inexpensive places to eat in the area - Cafe de Coral does a very cheap breakfast set, often consisting of oatmeal, coffee/tea, toast and egg/meat combo, we could get a substantial meal for 3 or 4 of us for less than $20(au or us) that would last us through til dinner, or go to Tai Pan and get some bread products - bbq pork bun is always a favourite, but cheese and sugar needs a bit of an experimental mindset. There are some great restaurants in the area - dimdim sum dim sum on the Ladies market (Tung Choi St) side of Sincere House or Vietnam Garden (I think that's the name) on the other side are both great places to eat.
Hong Kong Budget Hostel is just that- a hostel catering for travellers on a budget. I might be an exception to the rule to the "traditional" traveller given that when I go I spend anything from a week to 3 weeks there, but I don't go for the accommodation, I go to visit Hong Kong

Room Tip: try to get a room with a window to to the street, not one on the inside - unless you don't mind...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jenncame
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is an affordable place to stay in Hong Kong. The location is accessible. The room is clean but the owner is strict with turning the switches off when you are not around. The owner doesn't want to engage in conversations, I am not sure if this is because of language barrier. I saw a tourist scolded one of the persons looking after this hostel, he requested to have a wake up call by leaving a message on the table. But I'm not quite sure if this was read by anyone. Also, the elevator is being shared with other tenants of the building. Take note that they are priority one when using this. No wifi but you can use the one just outside the owner's office. He has the password posted on his wall. You may want to try local food in the small alley or eat in the food franchises nearby.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Near MRT station, easy to find. I have booked single room with shared bathroom. The room quite small but enough for 1 person, clean room.The bathroom also clean and has water heater. The price is cheap. Recommend for budget traveler.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo