“Ah Shan Hostel”

Ranked #19 of 160 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Klang
“Ah Shan Hostel”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Highly recommended place to stay. Friendly staff. Further to that, the place its very clean and its very convenient to MTR. A lot of food and shopping malls around. And opposite of the hostel is ladies market. Nearby there is 7-11 and McDonalds. The place is very strategic. I will definitely stay there again for my trip to HongKong. Most importantly the rates are reasonable.Jesmine (Malaysia)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Ah Shan Hostel and A Inn (both are owned by the same owner and situated in the same building with only 1 reception counter) are very good hostels. Cleanliness is good, room and bathroom facilities are good, staff are very friendly and the location is excellent. 7-11 is just across the road, McDonalds about 1 minute walk, MTR (subway) about 3 mins walk, money changers just around the corner, with a lot of street foods and affordable restaurants within the block. Cheap shopping (ladies market) is just across the road, electronics and hobby shops about 5 mins walk.

Take note though, if you are looking for high end shopping, this is not the place for you. Get a hotel or a hostel in the Central area, but the prices are double for what you pay here. Bus from the airport stops about 5 mins from the building. Take note however, it may be quite difficult to find the building if you dont pay attention to the street signs (and building numbers).

The owner (Fiona) speaks good english and the Filipina staff (Yoli) speaks good english as well. They are all very good people.

If you are comfortable with a hostel accomodation, book either Ah Shan or A Inn and you won't go wrong.

BOOK ONLINE as rates are much lower than walk-in bookings.

Room Tip: Request for a room with windows. It will be quite difficult to tell it's morning when waking up...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DennisMar
Engelberg, Switzerland
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed diffent places in Hong Kong. Causeway Bay, Central, Tsim Tsa Tsui. I am visiting HK oftenly because of my business and I spent really big money at other places. I stayed Ah Shan Hostel 3 weeks. It was quite cheap, great location and helpful staff, clean bed and towels. It depends on what you are waiting for staying cheap and clean place, if you are on vacation you will not spend your all time at your room, so rooms are little small but it was not big deal for me. I will going to stay same place on March again. So I meet great people there specially Yolanda! she is very friendly and helpful staff!
Believe me, this place very reasonable, very close to mtr, night market and central place in Mong Kok. Greetings All stuff and Family Ah Shan!
Aydan

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Nadi
Reviewed October 7, 2011

There were 4 girls on a trip to shop and this was a great selection, it was central to street markets, shops and malls. Our room on the 14th floor was clean daily, we had clean towels everyday (we had to ask for them on arrival and they even helped us with our laundry. We had hot water every time for showers, the air-con was great (not noisy at all) and while the toilet/shower was tiny, we managed. It was an experience (first time in a hostel) and none the worst for it. Loads of eating places and the 7/11 shops on both sides of the building was great. I would recommend to friends and family and would stay here again. The hostel selling us tickets to places like Disneyland etc were convenient and small savings.

Room Tip: Apartment 1410, Room 4
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank gemgem_11
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Basically, this is a flat converted into a hostel. The room was small, one single bed and one bunk bed to fit three people. There is hot water and aircon, which was nice. Free water outside the room. Located at the busy streets of mongkok, easy access to good food and arglye centre and mtr. It's good for budget travellers who don't spend much time in the room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I recently stayed in Ah Shan guest house and was not at all pleased with their level of service and cleanliness of the place. Beds had bugs in them, their air conditioning facility was very noisy (it sounded as if a motor was left running) and their gas system for a shower was not operating correctly. I subsequently spoke to their Filipino member of staff and the Owner of the guest house regarding the safety of their shower system and their response was less than pleasing. Their attitude was merely a ‘like it of lump it’ manner and disregarded my concerns completely. You cannot reason with them and they would rather not do your business than deal with my concerns or even suggest offering an alternative room.

Following this experience, my recommendation is that if you are looking for budget accommodation, you are better off getting a 3* hotel, as I found that there was not much of a price difference and you get the level of service one would expect. Unfortunately, I only realised this towards the end of my trip……

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This is my third time visited HK and I decided to stay in ah Shan hostel it is a different experience from my past stay-(in hotel). I get to experience the HK living standard-(such as small unit, small toilet, old dirty look building, rustic window, plenty panel of advertisement broad and etc). When you see this post were u afraid of staying here ? I can ensure you this hostel had maintained clean and tidy and the building had management to manage.

Therefore the hostel situated in Mongkok few minutes walk to subway-(Mongkok station Exit D2). It is a ease for me as a traveler who wanted time efficient where the subway is so near I can hope on the MTR train anytime I wanted. Basically to catch my planned activities.

In the first place how I book my room i selected ah Shan hostel website you' ll get direct response and confirmation upon payment. The hostel office in level 14 and yet i was given the key to stay at 8 level and my room facing ladies street. Every nite I got to see people functioning their business and many people walking around and lastly you don't have to worry about food some shop operate 24hrs, there is a macdonald downstair and beside is a 24hr HK cafe selling ghost, soya bean drink, porridge and etc. There is two entrance to the hostel one entrance u'll see people selling meat ball, smelly tofu and etc on the other side entrance u'll see a eye clinic.

How do I reach to ah Shan hostel ? When I reach the airport i search for the bus terminal and I broad Bus A21 is HK33 for a person. Please alight at the 6th bus stop where u'll see a bank of communication.

Lastly if I travel HK again I'll come back to this place, because ah Shan people are friendly and even the morning shift old security guard always greet people with a warm smile. : )

See u soon : )