“Cheap - Good Location - Flat”
Review of Ah Shan Hostel

Ah Shan Hostel
Ranked #23 of 164 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Basically, this is a flat converted into a hostel. The room was small, one single bed and one bunk bed to fit three people. There is hot water and aircon, which was nice. Free water outside the room. Located at the busy streets of mongkok, easy access to good food and arglye centre and mtr. It's good for budget travellers who don't spend much time in the room.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 22, 2011

I recently stayed in Ah Shan guest house and was not at all pleased with their level of service and cleanliness of the place. Beds had bugs in them, their air conditioning facility was very noisy (it sounded as if a motor was left running) and their gas system for a shower was not operating correctly. I subsequently spoke to their Filipino member of staff and the Owner of the guest house regarding the safety of their shower system and their response was less than pleasing. Their attitude was merely a ‘like it of lump it’ manner and disregarded my concerns completely. You cannot reason with them and they would rather not do your business than deal with my concerns or even suggest offering an alternative room.

Following this experience, my recommendation is that if you are looking for budget accommodation, you are better off getting a 3* hotel, as I found that there was not much of a price difference and you get the level of service one would expect. Unfortunately, I only realised this towards the end of my trip……

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This is my third time visited HK and I decided to stay in ah Shan hostel it is a different experience from my past stay-(in hotel). I get to experience the HK living standard-(such as small unit, small toilet, old dirty look building, rustic window, plenty panel of advertisement broad and etc). When you see this post were u afraid of staying here ? I can ensure you this hostel had maintained clean and tidy and the building had management to manage.

Therefore the hostel situated in Mongkok few minutes walk to subway-(Mongkok station Exit D2). It is a ease for me as a traveler who wanted time efficient where the subway is so near I can hope on the MTR train anytime I wanted. Basically to catch my planned activities.

In the first place how I book my room i selected ah Shan hostel website you' ll get direct response and confirmation upon payment. The hostel office in level 14 and yet i was given the key to stay at 8 level and my room facing ladies street. Every nite I got to see people functioning their business and many people walking around and lastly you don't have to worry about food some shop operate 24hrs, there is a macdonald downstair and beside is a 24hr HK cafe selling ghost, soya bean drink, porridge and etc. There is two entrance to the hostel one entrance u'll see people selling meat ball, smelly tofu and etc on the other side entrance u'll see a eye clinic.

How do I reach to ah Shan hostel ? When I reach the airport i search for the bus terminal and I broad Bus A21 is HK33 for a person. Please alight at the 6th bus stop where u'll see a bank of communication.

Lastly if I travel HK again I'll come back to this place, because ah Shan people are friendly and even the morning shift old security guard always greet people with a warm smile. : )

See u soon : )

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank celestineliew
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I owed the lovely hostel a review and a rating. So here I am:
In fact, I spent 3 nights in Ah-Shan Hostel in April, 2009. Staying the hostel was part of my wonderful experience in HK.
The room was very clean. The staffs were helpful and efficient. Ah-Shan auntie was a friendly lady. She gave me some helpful advises on transportation when I was about to go to the airport.
The hostel has a very good location as you need only walk for about 5-7 minutes to reach the nearest subway. In addition, there are many restaurants providing yummy local food. The well-known “Ladies’ street’’ is nearby.
As a traveller, if you want to save money and stay in a nice place. I will recommend this hostel to you.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank CAO_ZC
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We ordered a 5 bed apartment. It was small but we didn't mind as we were in HK for the sightseeing. The airconditioning was great and the bathroom adequate. The "partments" are actually subdivided apartments so one full sized apartment have been divided into 3-5 smaller ones. This is common in HK because of the huge cost of real estate there. The doormen on the ground floor were always friendly, as was the lady at reception (Filapino). We arrived early morning before our room was ready and they let us leave our luggage behind and go exploring for a while. The womans market is very close, as are numerous cheap restaurants and public transport. When you arrive go to 14th floor to check in. Doorman will help. Your apartment may be on one of the other floors. There are two lifts with different doormen at the base, so that can be confusing when you get out and walk the wrong direction. If AhShan is full there are 5-6 other hostels in the same building.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank StevefromPerth
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Absolutely horrible place!! We ordered a double room and the place was the size of a matchbox. The bed took up 90% of the room! It hadn't been cleaned yet when we checked in, and it was never cleaned by the staff even once during our 4 day stay.They didnt give us TP or towels, we had to ask for them. There was no hot water, almost no water pressure, and the staff was incredibly rude. Anytime we asked about something we were told to figure it out for ourselves. Steer clear from this hell hole!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ursulaob
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Stay 4 nights in Twin Ensuite, I managed to have a room with window. Room c/w air-cond, TV & slipper; toilet is clean, towel, bath foam & shampoo provided, change new towel for you everyday. It is small but expected in HK city, it is OK for us a place to rest & shower. We can hear next room conversation when guest talk loud, also the sound of bath room but it's still ok. There is a small pantry where you can get drinking/hot water, & unexpected a fridge to store your food/beverage. All room provided with Free WIFI. That's GOOD Isn't !? :-) Not bring along notebook ? 2 units PC with Internet Access at reception for guest use at no charge !

Location is good, heart of Mongkok & it just 5 mins walks to Mongkok MRT Station, restaurants, bus station and 7-11 convenience shop just in front of hostel entrance. The building actually is residents apartment, mostly converted to hostel, but environment is safe. Walking distance to Ladies Market, "Sport Shoes Street", and the others attraction places.
Buy a "Octopus Card" which it can be use for MRT & even 7-Eleven, convenient ! We buy Ocean Park tickets from hostel, it is slightly cheaper and can avoid long queue at the ticket counter. They also sell The Peak, HK Disneyland tickets which is slightly cheaper than the park counter.

The hostel owner Mr. & Mrs Tai is friendly and nice, even the assistant. Overall review on this hostel is AverageI think I will go to same hostel my next trip to HK.

Room Tip: Book early in order to request for window room.