“Okay place, overpriced with rude staff” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rent-A-Room Hong Kong

Rent-A-Room Hong Kong
Ranked #102 of 158 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
South East Asia
“Okay place, overpriced with rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2007

I stayed in the dormitory here. It's reasonably clean, although it could do with a new lick of paint and the air-con does not work very well. The room was very cramped though. The location is okay but not right in the centre. In general it's okay but pretty overpriced.

What spoiled this place for me was the rudeness and unpleasantness its staff. They seemed to think that they were doing me a favour by letting me stay here and although I didn't ask them for much they made me feel that every request - storing my passport, asking, on a single occasion, for some information, even paying my rent - was a huge chore.

For this reason I can't recommend this place to anyone else as they really made me feel unwelcome here and made this aspect of my holiday pretty unpleasant.

6 Thank AsiaTraveller1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2007

I tried to post this comment two weeks ago, but notice today that it hasn't been posted..let's try again!

I would like to discourage people who want to spend only a few nights in Hong Kong to stay at Rent-A-Room. The Lonely Planet China presents a fantastic review of this place, but I don't understand why. Unless you plan to stay for longer, say a month, this 'hotel' is really far too expensive! They dared to charge us 700 HK dollar per night (about 70 euro), telling us that the month of April is high season. Truly 70 euro for a room in a grey apartment-block is really too much. Our bed was too small for our long legs, the shower and toilet were tiny, it might have been clean, but really not very nice (especially not for this price).
Next day we went looking for another hotel. We ended up at the newly renovated Eaton Hotel (Nathan Road) which charged 720 HK dollars. For only a bit more, we were able to stay in a good hotel with good service, swimming pool, big bed etc!
When we left Rent-a-Room we met a student who told us he pays 3000 HK (about 300 euro) a month for the same room!
So, don't stay at this place, just go to a regular good hotel. Don't always believe the Lonely Planet!!
If you wish to stay longer - say a month or so - than this might be interesting. Though the room is still grey looking and in a dull apartment block with a small bed...
Take care and enjoy Hong Kong and China! It's fantastic!
Joyce
(from Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Value for money
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JoycefromAmsterdam
NonGrumbler, Manager at Rent-A-Room Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 10, 2007
HK$3000 is the monthly rate for a single bed in the dormitory room to be shared by 4 lodgers. The long-staying monthly rate is in general about 30-40% cheaper the daily rate especially to the students and seniors as they are non-salaried persons.
The complaint from Joyce saying they paid HK$700 a night for the "SAME ROOM" as the student's dorm room is IRRESPONSIBLE and MISLEADING.
Complaint must be factual, objective and un-provocative.
Joyce must have checked the rates of several hotels before she made her decision.
Room rates vary largely on the room availability of individual hotel for a specific period.
In April, there were 9 mega exhibitions held here in Hong Kong, the room rates were quite high in majority of the hotels.
If Joyce thought the room rate was too high, she could bargain with us, no harm.
Finally we are pleased to offer Joyce a FREE stay for one night in our best room whenever Joyce comes here again.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2007

This place was great. Very cheap and the room was spotless. Included a safe in the room and a TV and telephone. I had my own bathroom that was also spotless. The property was very secure with a guard on duty 24 hours a day. The location was excellent as well, very close to a bus stop and metro stop and a short walk to shopping and tourist attractions.

• Liked — price and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tiffyjmo
Bristol, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2006

First, my review. I paid 20 & 26 pounds (40 / 52 US Dollars) to stay in a tiny single, en-suite room. This isn't a bad price for a room in Hong Kong, but yes, the room was small, and it felt like it was in a council block of flats. Great location, you're right next to the main shopping street, but the place looks very grotty from the outside.

The useful bit: Finding this place is difficult. Here's my tips on how to find it.

1. Come out of the Jordan station at Exit D. This is very important - exit D !! (In December 2006, there was a giant NOKIA neon sign hanging above the street at this exit.. I used this for bearings whenever I got lost.)

2. When you get to the street level, turn right, then almost straightaway, turn into the first street on your right.

3. This street curves at 90-degrees to the left, follow the street to the left.

4. You are now on the correct street. Rent-a-room is on the right-hand side of the street, about halfway down it.

Phew ! Hope this helps.

• Liked — Fairly good location, cheap for Hong Kong, towels, fridge, safe, a/c included
  • Disliked — Feels like a council block-of-flats
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank UncleMike
ATHENS GREECE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2006

I Stayed in room of Rent Rooms Of Hong Kong
From 22Nov 2005 Till L 26Nov 2005
My experience Was Terrible
I met In reception Mr Thomas Stang who was entirely unproffesional and rude...
I Dont wish to remember these moments from my staying to Hong Kong !
I have also comlpain to the chain through My Travel agent
Konstantinos Pavlidis Athens Greece

Stayed October 2006
9 Thank POKISTA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2005

This must be the best value accomodation in Hong Kong. We had reserved a large double room with kitchenette (HKD 7000 for the month), but although it would have been fine for a few days we took up the manager's offer of a family room (designed for four people) for HKD 9000, and they removed one of the beds. This gave us a space of about 350 square feet, which was more than adequate for two people for a month. The room was immaculately clean and completely free from cockroaches, rats, beetles & mosquitoes.

Tak Hing Street seems a bit squalid at night but is perfectly safe and is easy walking distance from an MTR station. Taxis are omnipresent and very cheap.

The only down-side of our Rent-a-Room experience was the management's insistence on us paying a deposit of an extra month's rent in cash. No credit cards were acceptable. This was not made clear on their web site but they were completely inflexible. It was very inconvenient and meant that we had far less cash to live on than we had planned. Fortunately Hong Kong is not as expensive to live in as its reputation suggests, particularly if you eat in noodle & congee shops.

I recommend Rent-a-room to anyone who is looking for an experience of Hong Kong that is more authentic (and way cheaper) than a sterile and cramped hotel room.

Stayed November 2005