“Definitely our choice for HK”

The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #2 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“Definitely our choice for HK”
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Have always wanted to stay at the Landmark. Had heard that it and the Four Seasons were the places to stay in HK, and it didn't disappoint.
We only had the basic room, but it was probably the best standard room I have ever been in. If you are looking for modern luxury, rather than old decadent style, then this is one of those hotels. The bath in the standard room was awesome too. But the bed was the highlight - firm double king with super fine sheets and fantastic pillows - could have stayed there all day. Generally much newer, funkier than the big 3 around Pacific Place (Conrad, Marriott, Shangri-la) and closer to the nightlife...note it is a small boutique type hotel though - don't expect an awesome lobby etc etc like the big 3.
Also has a trendy bar and decent lap swimming pool.
Staff was flawless, particularly John who is down at the taxi stand. He was fantastic and gave great advice and made sure we wouldn't get ripped off by the taxi drivers...we had a lovely massage and spa which is well worth it. Definitely check out the "Heat Experience" which is free for all hotel guests (saunas, water jets etc).
Location is just fantastic....few minutes walk underground to the MTR, and can definitely walk to and from LKF if that is your thing (which it was for us).
Downside? Traffic on the road leading to the hotel is a pain during peak hours....taxis everywhere particularly late at night - i would MTR if you were coming from Kowloon side etc. Also, there is just no view from the hotel, which is a bit disappointing....but if you wanted a brilliant view, you'd definitely have to go for the Kowloon side hotels (Peninsula, Intercontinental).
Will definitely be staying here again for the next HK visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank love2travelTokyo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta
Reviewed March 23, 2009

The room is great, very large and spacious by HK standards. Two LCD screens in the room, and one in the bathroom. Many free HD features via the in room entertainment. Low profile lobby. Blackout blinds to catch up on sleep. All in all, great business hotels, for serious travellers. For leisure however, I'd pick something else.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank CorporateNomad
London
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel and it has fab service (like pretty much everywhere in Asia) the rooms have no view and the redesign of the rooms is just plain weird. Fab bathrooms take up nearly 50% of the floor space (in a L600 room) and block the light from one of two windows. I'm not quite sure what the designer was smoking at the time he designed this hotel...........

The rooms are also a bit half way between a business hotel and a "proper" luxury hotel - too much fake wood veneer for my liking and lots of pointless technology that takes forever to work out how to use - I don't need 8 different buttons to open or close the blinds for example.

For me when travelling for pleasure I want a hotel that's in the best location, has elegant and spacious rooms with a great view. This is a 4*plus hotel with no views and ill thought out rooms. I won't be back.

One week previously I stayed at the Four Seasons and whilst it is more expensive it is worth every penny - I have stayed at many of the worlds top hotels and this would easily make it into my top 5 city hotels.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank DJoeM
Sydney and Hong Kong
Reviewed March 3, 2009

My parents and I stayed at the Mandarin, Hong Kong, for several nights over Christmas. As we entered the lobby and passed the giant, aromatic pine Christmas tree while staff courteously greeted us, I already knew this would of the most memorable, magical Christmases I would been blessed to have. We stayed in a suite as there were 3 of us, where chocolate christmas sculptures mysteriously arrived in our room everyday! Even the sofa bed I slept on was the most comfortabl sleep I have had, with its thick 300 count Eygptian cotton sheets. The view of Hong Kong was stunning, with the skyscrapers around us and the harbour before us. I spent a few relaxing hours in the gigantic, stand alone Victorian sunken bath in the centre of the bathroom, watching the tv above it! The hotel facilities were fabuus, especially the spa where my Mum and I had a blissful massage. The food was wonderful. My friends and I met for hot chocolate in the Mandarin Cake Shop- this consisted of hot melted chocolate with a dark chocolate spoon and cream. We were in heaven! Then we saw the Nut Cracker ballet from the Clipper lounge, put on by young children from a local dance school, which was so sweet and festive. The Mandarin is perfectly situated in Central, walking distance from Lan Kwai Fong, where you can find a vast range of classy nightclubs, funky restraunts, boutique shops and swanky bars. There are also malls like the IFC close by, or 'the lanes,' if you prefer street shopping. MTR and bus stations are all nearby so it's not hard to get around. The most incredible thing about the Mandarin Oriental though- with Hong Kong as its Flagship, original hotel- is how perfectly it encapsulates 'East meets West,' blending British colonial charm with beautiful Chinese accents. No hotel chain does this like the Mandarin and so if you truly want an luxurious and unforgettable, Hong Kong experience, this is THE place to stay. Although it has been newly renovated, making it more opulent than ever, the Mandarin remains an authentic piece of Hong Kong history.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Grace-Isobel
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 31, 2009

We are expats living in Hong Kong. Every time our wedding anniversary rolls around, we celebrate by checking ourselves into a city hotel for the weekend. This year, we chose the Landmark Mandarin Oriental because it is in the very heart of Central and directly connects to the Landmark shopping centre, ThreeSixty Organic Supermarket, the other Mandarin Oriental Hotel and the Princes Building which has Olivers Deli and numerous high end shops. Outside you have Marks and Spencer and Shanghai Tang plus the bar area of Lan Kwai Fong. There is also a huge taxi rank. It is a fantastic base.

We booked the L600 room. We didn't like it. We were in a room in a corner, at the end of the hall. It was dark, the view was terrible and the wiring was annoying in that it was all on the one loop. This means, if I wanted to cat nap in the afternoon, I still had the speakers on ubove me from my husband's TV which was in the sitting area. I thought this was a rather poor design flaw. The sitting area was also tiny. Smaller than what we have at home and we don't live in a palace. On the contrary, the bath tub and bathroom itself was just huge and it would have been more comfortable if some of the space used for the bathroom had actually been used for the sitting area instead.

We were supposed to stay two nights. But as the room was small and uncomfortable, we called reception to tell them we would be checking out the next day. The manager came to speak with us about our concerns and offered to show us another room with a different design and different wiring. We decided it was a better option and the room was larger too however this one was very very noisy. We could hear the trams running past 24hrs. I needed earplugs as I am a light sleeper. The other irritating thing was that we needed to call and request THREE times that the champagne and strawberries we had left behind in the other room be brought over to us. It all got lost in translation.

The new, upgraded room was just lovely (apart from the constant noise) I could also hear the people in the room next to me, past midnight, one evening. However it was tastefully decorated, with nice CDs to listen to, a coffee maker, good magazine range and my fave brand of toiletries 'Aromatherapy Associates' (these can also be purchased from their spa) We certainly were grateful for the new room.

The room service menu was frighteningly expensive so we purchased snacks from the ThreeSixty supermarket instead and we ate at the wonderful Agnes B French Restaurant in Causeway Bay. Excellent duck. We did not eat at this hotel.

Overall we had an enjoyable time, give or take one or two quibbles but I have to say we much preferred our stay at the Four Seasons. We would not return but we are still happy we tried it.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Very noisy as room overlooked the street
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelBug79
London
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Been to HK a number of times and stayed over at the Peninsula, original Mandarin Oriental and LKF. Have to say that the Landmark Mandarin Oriental beats them all. Location is second to none...right in the heart of Central, so perfect for shops, restaurants and bars.

The service was exceptional and the staff went to extremes to ensure that all of my requests were fulfilled. Needless to say the concierge arranged tables at the last minute at all of HK's best restaurants, without any problem.

I booked and L600, which whilst I didn't actually use it, had the largest bathtub I've seen in a hotel. The room was a really good size (for Hong Kong) and the spa, without question one of the best urban spas in the world!

Superb stay....will definitely return!

• Liked — Location, rooms, service
  • Disliked — WIFI not free
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Dan_LondonUK
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2008

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel in a L450 room. It has a very contemporary design and is in a great location. The hotel is in Central and the main bar and restaurant precinct and also as mentioned previously attached to an exclusive shopping mall. We had breakfast one morning next door in the Landmark Cafe and it was really good. We did not go to any of the hotels bar or cafes but the bar in the lobby was very popular.

The room itself was well designed, with a separate walk in robe/luggage area. A big king size bed and plasma/lcd tv with about 50 stations. One nice feature was it had double blinds which made the room very dark when sleeping and quiet. The L450 was not overly huge but so well designed with a little loveseat that it felt spacious. The bathroom had 2 basins and a separate shower and toilet (behind frosted glass doors) and a huge bath. Again it was very slick.

We did not try the spa or indoor pool but were shown around and it did look very nice. Another nice touch was we had complimentary airport conceirge. We were met off the plane, had a cart take us to immigration and then were dropped off at our preferred transport option of a taxi. With an 11pm arrival time this was great.

I really found this to be a great hotel and would go back if in Hong Kong. It had nice modern crisp lines but with a warmness that was lovely after busy days shopping.

• Liked — The design
  • Disliked — Bit dark in public areas
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple