“Nice clean hotel well located for getting around HK”

Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong
Ranked #67 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 13, 2014

To be fair most hotels are pretty good for getting around HK as the metro system is so good. The metropark is a small hotel in WanChai about a 3 minute walk from WanChai metro station. We did walk to Causeway bay station the other way but its a fair bit further (more like 10 minutes).
The hotel staff are pleasant and lurk behind the reception desk - the rooms are not massive (I stayed on 10th floor) in a twin room but the room was pleasant enough with all the usual things in it. I didn't eat or drink in the hotel so can't comment about those aspects but there were plenty of restaurants and coffee shops around for breakfast and meals.
I was on business but had my daughter with me so did the usual sightseeing stuff as well as travelling into China. Metropark is a good base in my opinion - there was no negatives really other than the rooms wan't huge but then you don't really expect that unless your paying top $.

Room Tip: There is building work going on but it didn't bother us on the 10th floor - we didn't have a...
1  Thank William L

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Doesn't look great from the outside but very impressive inside. Staff helpful, room clean and spacious( for HK). The walk-in shower was great with the best shower-head in any hotel I've ever stayed (strange but true)
Location is great - on Hennessy rd, walking distance to conference centre , wanchai MTR station, and Star Ferry

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Rathcarrick
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 9 nights in May 2014, the first 7 for business and the last 2 for sightseeing. The hotel is about 2 blocks from the entrance to the Wan Chai Metro Station, which is also the beginning of a covered walkway that runs to the convention center on the bay. The walkway is a straight shot and was very welcomed on rainy days. We were attending a conference in the convention center and could be there in 10-15 minutes. As to the hotel, while I did not like the nightclub feel of the lobby, the room was fine, quite a bit of space for Hong Kong, with stylish furniture and a comfortable bed. Bathroom was fairly large with a raised tub. Breakfast in the restaurant was bountiful, with both Western and Chinese food options. The hotel staff were responsive to most of our requests, although we had a continuing problem with the in-room safe that was never resolved and required a manager to open it three times. Due to the proximity to the metro station, the hotel was still ideally located after we switched over to sightseeing. Definitely a good value if want to be near Admiralty/Central/Causeway Bay but don't need to pay for a view.

Room Tip: The lot next door is currently a construction site. Not the hotel's fault, but if you get a roo...
1  Thank wwpalmer
DOperations, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Tripadvisor member –wwpalmer

Thanks for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor.com and your good words about hotel restaurant and the service.

We have taken note of your comment about the in-room safe and we regret that it has caused you much inconvenience during the stay. A thorough inspection has been conducted in order to avoid it from happening again.

Should there be any assistance or service required, please feel free to contact us at doo.hkwh@metroparkhotels.com so as to provide you more pleasure of stay in future.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Location: Western end of Wanchai, not far from Admirality and Central, close to Causeway Bay
Hotel: 18 floors, roughly 10 rooms a floor, very good restaurant in-house
Room: Much bigger than I expected, good sized bed, writing desk etc, decent size washroom
Positives: Location, bigger room than I expected, clean, great for the price
Negatives: WC area a bit too small, foul smell from outside, room had horrible view
Ranking at time of writing: Ranked #87 of 595 hotels in HK

I had to spend a night in HK and opted for Metropark at Wanchai primarily due to its location between Central and Causeway Bay and its proximity to good restaurants and bars with live music.

I was promptly checked in, given a room on the topmost floor, but my room had a horrible view of the back side of our own building and nothing else. The room also had a foul smell when I entered, but later realized that the smell was emanating from outside (because the room service had left the bathroom door open). Once I closed the bathroom door, all was good. They have a dehumidifier in the room, which kept the room cool and dry. One -ve was that they didn't empty the water during turndown service and hence when I got home in the night it was full. Apart from that the service seemed good. The bed wasn't a problem, in fact I saw a small piece of information which offered several types of mattresses and pillows, guess there's one for all types of sleepers. As for me, as long as it doesn't squeak, I'm fine.

The bathroom wasn't super big, but not too shabby at all, was very clean; though the WC area was a bit cramped, but can't be changed, so got to live with that. The toiletries were of good quality and adequate, probably better than what one would expect in a 3 or 4 star hotel.

The hotel also houses a well known Spanish restaurant, didn't have the opportunity to try it, but rated pretty highly on TA. Skipped breakfast too as I went to Flying Pan down the road.

I was pleasantly surprised by the room and the hotel. Try to get a better facing room for yourself and management must instruct the cleaning staff to keep the bathroom door closed to avoid any unpleasant odour in the room. I requested for a late check-out and was offered a reasonable hour, but their per hour rate for extra stay didn't make sense - simply cause if I stayed 6 hours, I would end up paying an entire day's rate, so I think that they should drop those.

Room Tip: My room #xx10 didn't have a great view and may be due to its location relative to the other buil...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel is in the heart of Wan Chai and walking distance from Causeway Bay. The restaurant is great and the service is top notch. The only problem is the bed is hard as a rock. If you have jet lag...good luck trying to sleep. It is very uncomfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
DOperations, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Tripadvisor member – Freejoe5

Thanks for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor.com and your good words about hotel restaurant and service.

We have taken note of your comment about the bed and regretted that the option of soft mattress was not brought to your attention as a notice depicting the choices of soft mattress and pillows is on the bedside stand. However, the comment would still deserve our attention and consideration in order to bring more comfort of stay for our guests.

We are looking forward to the chance of providing you more pleasure of stay in future and you may contact us at doo.hkwh@metroparkhotels.com, then we will have your profile updated of this arrangement.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was supposed to be upgraded by Amex, but when it came to check-in I was given a basic room. No complaints though as the room as very nice. Clean, contemporary wooden furniture and lots of mirrors. Plus - the designers seem to have actually thought about what a business traveller wants - a comfortable king-sized bed and pillows, a power shower (it was the most powerful spray I've experienced for a while), strong Wi-Fi connection in the room, the ability to turn off all the lights from the bed, a mini-safe big enough for your laptop computer, a TV showing good international channels, black-out curtains and a desk with power supply.

One gripe (common enough) is that there's no power plug by the bed so if you're charging your phone overnight and you set the alarm (there's no bedside clock), then it'll certainly make you get out of bed and walk over to silence it. The shower is over a bath, by the way, so it may be a bit tricky for some.

Service was brisk but friendly. The doorman will get you a taxi once he realises you're not going away without his help. There is a pricey restaurant (I didn't use it), a small gym and a downstairs cocktail bar which is also pricey and charges a lot for mediocre bar snacks. It's also very noisy and a bit garish for a pre-dinner business discussion. The lobby is small and no good for meetings either. So I recommend you avoid all this stuff as you're in a vibrant area surrounded by restaurants, bars and cafes in the surrounding streets. You're close to buses and trams, and the local MTR station is an easy two minute walk.

All in all then, an ideal place to rest after a long day at work, but get out and enjoy the area at night because the hotel restaurant and bar are not really that great.

Room Tip: No need to upgrade your room as the "Executive" one just has a free minibar and a jazzy ca...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
DOperations, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Tripadvisor member – SingaporeBizTravel

Many thanks for your good words about our hotel and please let me recap the Amex upgrade would be offered for booking from our hotel official website and select the Amex Exclusive Offer. Hoping that this is not mistakenly interpreted.

We have taken note of your comment and concerned departments are required to look into any alternatives that may provide more comfort of stay rightaway. Our Executive level rooms are way much spacious than the basic rooms and for Executive package, apart from the daily replenished free minibar, it also comes with free flow of coffee & tea at the Parlor from 8am – 6pm, discounts on laundry and dinner consumption and the bathroom is also equipped with quality amenities. Hoping this piece of information would provide more insights of the value of the package whereas photos of our different Executive level rooms (Executive, Executive Spacious & Executive Studio) are displayed at our hotel official website that reflects a real layout and furnishing of the rooms.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to our hotel and the chance of being of service to you again. Should there be any assistance or service required, please feel free to contact us at doo.hkwh@metroparkhotels.com..

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I went a few days ago to The Parlor, the bar in this hotel with some friends. A very nice waitress called Amaia stopped us on the street and offered us a free pincho voucher. We had a really good time, Amaia was super friendly to us and pinchos were very tasty!

• Stayed: May 2014