“Much better than I bargained”

Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong
Ranked #66 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“Much better than I bargained”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Location: Western end of Wanchai, not far from Admirality and Central, close to Causeway Bay
Hotel: 18 floors, roughly 10 rooms a floor, very good restaurant in-house
Room: Much bigger than I expected, good sized bed, writing desk etc, decent size washroom
Positives: Location, bigger room than I expected, clean, great for the price
Negatives: WC area a bit too small, foul smell from outside, room had horrible view
Ranking at time of writing: Ranked #87 of 595 hotels in HK

I had to spend a night in HK and opted for Metropark at Wanchai primarily due to its location between Central and Causeway Bay and its proximity to good restaurants and bars with live music.

I was promptly checked in, given a room on the topmost floor, but my room had a horrible view of the back side of our own building and nothing else. The room also had a foul smell when I entered, but later realized that the smell was emanating from outside (because the room service had left the bathroom door open). Once I closed the bathroom door, all was good. They have a dehumidifier in the room, which kept the room cool and dry. One -ve was that they didn't empty the water during turndown service and hence when I got home in the night it was full. Apart from that the service seemed good. The bed wasn't a problem, in fact I saw a small piece of information which offered several types of mattresses and pillows, guess there's one for all types of sleepers. As for me, as long as it doesn't squeak, I'm fine.

The bathroom wasn't super big, but not too shabby at all, was very clean; though the WC area was a bit cramped, but can't be changed, so got to live with that. The toiletries were of good quality and adequate, probably better than what one would expect in a 3 or 4 star hotel.

The hotel also houses a well known Spanish restaurant, didn't have the opportunity to try it, but rated pretty highly on TA. Skipped breakfast too as I went to Flying Pan down the road.

I was pleasantly surprised by the room and the hotel. Try to get a better facing room for yourself and management must instruct the cleaning staff to keep the bathroom door closed to avoid any unpleasant odour in the room. I requested for a late check-out and was offered a reasonable hour, but their per hour rate for extra stay didn't make sense - simply cause if I stayed 6 hours, I would end up paying an entire day's rate, so I think that they should drop those.

Room Tip: My room #xx10 didn't have a great view and may be due to its location relative to the other buil...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel is in the heart of Wan Chai and walking distance from Causeway Bay. The restaurant is great and the service is top notch. The only problem is the bed is hard as a rock. If you have jet lag...good luck trying to sleep. It is very uncomfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
DOperations, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor member – Freejoe5

Thanks for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor.com and your good words about hotel restaurant and service.

We have taken note of your comment about the bed and regretted that the option of soft mattress was not brought to your attention as a notice depicting the choices of soft mattress and pillows is on the bedside stand. However, the comment would still deserve our attention and consideration in order to bring more comfort of stay for our guests.

We are looking forward to the chance of providing you more pleasure of stay in future and you may contact us at doo.hkwh@metroparkhotels.com, then we will have your profile updated of this arrangement.

Director of Operations
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was supposed to be upgraded by Amex, but when it came to check-in I was given a basic room. No complaints though as the room as very nice. Clean, contemporary wooden furniture and lots of mirrors. Plus - the designers seem to have actually thought about what a business traveller wants - a comfortable king-sized bed and pillows, a power shower (it was the most powerful spray I've experienced for a while), strong Wi-Fi connection in the room, the ability to turn off all the lights from the bed, a mini-safe big enough for your laptop computer, a TV showing good international channels, black-out curtains and a desk with power supply.

One gripe (common enough) is that there's no power plug by the bed so if you're charging your phone overnight and you set the alarm (there's no bedside clock), then it'll certainly make you get out of bed and walk over to silence it. The shower is over a bath, by the way, so it may be a bit tricky for some.

Service was brisk but friendly. The doorman will get you a taxi once he realises you're not going away without his help. There is a pricey restaurant (I didn't use it), a small gym and a downstairs cocktail bar which is also pricey and charges a lot for mediocre bar snacks. It's also very noisy and a bit garish for a pre-dinner business discussion. The lobby is small and no good for meetings either. So I recommend you avoid all this stuff as you're in a vibrant area surrounded by restaurants, bars and cafes in the surrounding streets. You're close to buses and trams, and the local MTR station is an easy two minute walk.

All in all then, an ideal place to rest after a long day at work, but get out and enjoy the area at night because the hotel restaurant and bar are not really that great.

Room Tip: No need to upgrade your room as the "Executive" one just has a free minibar and a jazzy ca...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
DOperations, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor member – SingaporeBizTravel

Many thanks for your good words about our hotel and please let me recap the Amex upgrade would be offered for booking from our hotel official website and select the Amex Exclusive Offer. Hoping that this is not mistakenly interpreted.

We have taken note of your comment and concerned departments are required to look into any alternatives that may provide more comfort of stay rightaway. Our Executive level rooms are way much spacious than the basic rooms and for Executive package, apart from the daily replenished free minibar, it also comes with free flow of coffee & tea at the Parlor from 8am – 6pm, discounts on laundry and dinner consumption and the bathroom is also equipped with quality amenities. Hoping this piece of information would provide more insights of the value of the package whereas photos of our different Executive level rooms (Executive, Executive Spacious & Executive Studio) are displayed at our hotel official website that reflects a real layout and furnishing of the rooms.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to our hotel and the chance of being of service to you again. Should there be any assistance or service required, please feel free to contact us at doo.hkwh@metroparkhotels.com..

Director of Operations
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I went a few days ago to The Parlor, the bar in this hotel with some friends. A very nice waitress called Amaia stopped us on the street and offered us a free pincho voucher. We had a really good time, Amaia was super friendly to us and pinchos were very tasty!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Anadgz
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Last weekend I was with some friends in Wanchai when Amaia, a very friendly girl invited us to go into The Parlor, the bar in Metropark hotel, with a free coupon for a Spanish tapa, so tasty!! We had a very good time there, the treat was excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Very close to metro, clean rooms, friendly helpful staff. close to convention centre, star ferry, close to central, the peak one train stop away. Kowloon is easy to get to change trains at central. Great place to stay if you wanted to be on HONG KONG ISLAND.

Room Tip: Street food by the Wan Chai Station. Octopus card is good way to get around on the train.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I recently returned from a week-long business trip to Hong Kong and am glad that I chose to stay at the Metropark Wanchai. It offers many benefits to the business traveller, without the hefty price tag, and while maintaining a nice boutique feel.

I stayed in room 1211 on the "SHE" floor, exclusive for female travellers. This room was a larger executive room (and the bathroom was large enough to contain a full tub and shower combination), and cost about $1500 HK/night (roughly $210 Cdn/night). This was a bargain compared to other business hotels, such as the Conrad, Shangri-La, etc. While not as posh as some of these other hotels, it had a very nice boutique feel to it, and is located at street level in the Wanchai district, meaning one can feel very much part of city while there.

Others have mentioned the perks of the executive package, including full breakfast buffet, free mini bar, etc. All of these were wonderful to take advantage of while I was there. I enjoyed the buffet every morning, with freshly brewed coffee, traditional Chinese items such as congee, as well as Western staples like bacon and eggs.

I also found other items to be very helpful, including slippers and kettle in the room, and a large desk with bright lighting and a comfortable chair. The desk had a built-in compartment with several plugs, and a plug adaptor, which was a brilliant touch. There was also an in-room safe, as well as air conditioning and a de-humidifier. The room was very clean, and kept that way daily.

The only item they seemed to have overlooked was a chest of drawers or something similar for clothes storage. There is a decent-sized closet, but no drawers. The closet only had 3 regular hangers in it when I arrived, and 3 hangers with clips for pants or skirts, but I called down and extra hangers were delivered promptly and with a smile. As for clothes and items which I would normally store in a drawer, I simply folded these and laid them on top of the safe.

Service was very efficient and friendly. There was always someone to help me with luggage, or to hail a cab or provide directions.

The lobby is a bit small, but the one time I met with someone at the hotel, we were able to sit in The Parlour, a sitting area which serves drinks and snacks during happy hour.

The location was also hard to beat, less than 5 minutes walk from the Wanchai MTR, and perhaps 12 minutes to the Convention Centre via covered walkway. There were many interesting things to explore in the neighbourhood, such as Hung Shing Temple and The Pawn.

Others have complained about neighbouring construction noise, but I never found this to be a problem. I was up quite early most mornings, but even when I returned to my room for an occasional rest, the noise never bothered me.

I would definitely recommend to others, especially if staying for business.

Room Tip: Upgrading to an executive room is worthwhile. Staying on the SHE floor is nice for female travellers...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business