“Excellent hotel in a good location, but I disagree with services charges”

Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong
Ranked #65 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We found the Wan chai a very good hotel situated in a good location. Our room was very clean, smart, free water daily, free tea and coffee, nice big flat screen t.v with cable, comfy beds and a nice bathroom with free amenities. The house keepers here are doing a very good job. Also the reception were quite friendly and helpful. Our bill was £276.00 on checkout which I thought is good value ( better than the Strand in London) but like most places I do not agree with service charge which is 10% of your bill and £27 is a lot of money when you already paid for a room. I just dont get why places charge service charge, we wanted to leave a tip for the staff but can not because of this.

The Wan Chai is situated in a good location. We took a coach from the airport which took around 40 minutes, but I recommend you buy a Octopus card which is cheaper and more convienient way of getting about Hong Kong. You can get the MRT from the airport and go to Wan chai station next to the hotel. There are plenty of bars just around the corner with a lot of British expats and Philipino's. It's a real lively place if your into nightlife, there is also a few stripper joints with a lo of girls of the night hanging around. Me and my wife would eat in some local street food places and a good cheap place is Hay Hay just around the corner from the hotel offering good simple Chinese dishes at a cheap price.

As for getting around Hong kong, Wan Chai station is around the corner and buses, trams and taxi is ready available but do buy a Octopus MRT card as it will save you time and money. You can also gain any cash back left on your card if you do not use it up. As for tours we visited Sky 100 view point, but beware! It's overpriced and pictures are expensive, good view but not worth the money we spent. The peak is a nice view but like everywhere in HK, there is many buildings and lots of people. Central is for shopping, bus tours are expensive.

I would stay at Wan Chai again if I visited HK and if you like walking, you can get to most places buy foot.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank LeeLancaterU_K
There are newer reviews for Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is well located in Wanchai as it's only about 300m to the nearest MTR train station. Wan Chai is an interesting area in you take the time to walk up to Sun and Star streets and check out some of the little cafes and boutiques.
The hotel is perfectly adequate and reasonably priced. On of the reasons we stayed here was because they could accommodate an extra bed in the room for our 15 year old daughter, so we didn't need an extra room.
The renovations going on in the hotel and major excavation next door was a bit annoying - although we were warned about the changes happening in the hotel itself. We were not disturbed in the morning but it was noisy when we came back in the afternoon for a break.
Staff were helpful on the day of checkout with our bags and taxis etc.
If you are looking for a good value hotel in Hong Kong this will fit the bill.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Metro Park Wanchai is located in the heart of Wanchai business district, at a close distance to Central Hong Kong. There are some Indian vegetarian restaurants nearby. A tram or bus or taxi can be taken to Central, but I walked the distance of about 2 kms and enjoyed it. Rooms are comfortable and hygienic.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The buffet is too generic and boring. No eggs made. You have to request and most times the server forgets to bring them. Have to remind them more than once. The same boring dishes month after month. Better off going to a small coffee shop.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
DOperations, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor member – Kapil S

We are so sorry to learn of your breakfast experience in our hotel and noted of the areas that we are falling short of your expectation. The comments are receiving utmost attention of concerned department for rectification and improvement.

We take guest comments seriously and have been making every endeavor to let the guest stay happily in our hotel. Hoping this visit would not jeopardize your intent to return to us, and we still look forward to the chance of giving you more pleasure of stay in future. Please contact us at doo.hkwh@metroparkhotels.com for further comment or if we can be of any service to you.

Director of Operations

Reviewed June 21, 2013

For a person travelling solo I got the Family Comfort Room which was pretty large - which I appreciated as I know how space is hard to come by in Hong Kong. What I loved best about this hotel was its relatively close proximity to the MTR and shops. Unfortunately, that's about all. The room had dated deco and while clean, the bathroom in particular was clearly aging. If you're after convenience and basic and comfortable lodging, this won't be an issue.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I don't usually stay at Wanchai, preferring to stay closer to the shopping near Causeway Bay (South Pacific Hotel). However, this time, I decided to try a change on environment and stay at Wanchai, near the drinking places - supposed more lively.

The Wanchai area is definitely nice - full of life and surprisingly safe, despite being a drinking area. Food options were plenty at any time of the day. So I wouldn't mind staying in this area again.

Hotel room is the largest I have ever stayed. I was luckily upgraded to Executive Spacious and I am grateful and appreciate the nice gesture. However, as my room is located right at the back, there was no view whatsoever (in contrast, South Pacific has a breathtaking view of the area). I was lucky to be given a high level too, away from the noise. Minibar was nicely restocked every day though for 1 day they forgot the chocolates - careless for the hotel! Cleanliness was good and evening turn-down service was thoughtful.

However, that said, they were literally demolishing a building next door, so the noise was unbearable during the day. My room literally shook as though I was in an earthquake. At one time, I thought the building was going to shake!

I thought it was unfair that the hotel had made no mention of the renovation despite my multiple emails to them. I just read that lunch concessions were offered to some guests who complained - why wasn't this extended to all guests?

Also, I had consciously decided to pay a slight premium for the Executive benefits. Imagine my disbelief when they said the club lounge was down because of the renovation - totally appalling! I could have reserved a room at nearby Novotel. They come with better privileges and I am a Platinum member.

Most importantly, the gym was a farce and a misnomer. Thinking I could do some exercise during my vacation, I brought my workout videos sans weights. However, to my horror, the so-called gym only has treadmills and elliptical machines. Can a gym be still considered a gym without weights?

Breakfast was good, with enough variety and tasty too, though it's simple fare. Not a hearty selection, but quality was there.

It would be a tough choice for me next visit since I am very attracted by the Novotel - same location and better benefits. Unless the hotel extends some concessions for the inadequacies this round, I fear it would be other hotels.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
DOperations, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor.com member – soule24

Many thanks for your sharing of comment on Tripadvisor.com. We do post our lobby renovation notice on different booking platforms and hotel websites. However, regarding the demolition of building next door, we can’t take any control of it and the noise especially from the intermittent jackhammering are causing disturbance at daytime that we believe many hotel guests are not staying in the room. Therefore, we would consider some concessions for those really affected by it.

For your information, the demolition will be completed soon by end of June and there would not be any noise afterwards. As our hotel lobby and the lounge are currently under renovation till end of July, a new look will be gradually unveiled in early July. We hope you will find the hotel lobby and the lounge appealing when visiting our hotel next time.

Constrained by the size and layout of the hotel, the gym could only provide several essential equipment. To make up for the constraints, we chose to use some brand name models for better exercise experience.

We are sorry for not being able to meet with your expectation on this visit. However, I still look forward to hearing from you at doo.hkwh@metroparkhotels.com and to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Director of Operations

Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Metropark Wanchai 2-3 nights a month for 4-5 years and it keeps getting better and better. The staff are outstanding, excellent English, helpful and super-courteous. The buffet breakfast is very good. Rooms are clean, the beds are very comfortable, internet speed while good, could be better (hint-hint). Good selection of International TV. In addition, the location is excellent. Wanchai is changing FAST from the famous old "Suzy Wong" era, great shopping nearby from very upscale malls (Pacific Place) to great buys on Western size "over-run" name brand (not counterfeit like Shenzhen) outlet "hole in the wall" shops on Johnston Road, only one block from the hotel. If you want a snack late but not full room service, there is a "Circle-K" convenience store across the street. Walking distance or a short taxi ride to the Convention Center. If you want to get around cheap, the tram is only a block away on Johnston Road as well. If you want some local fun and some British "pub grub," there are a number of places on Lockhart Road, one block behind the hotel toward the harbor. Overall, it is one of my favorite hotels in Asia and will continue to be a frequent guest. The hotel does not have a formal "business center" if that is a requirement.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in "07" are really big and nice plus they face Hennessy Road (the main road f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business