“A clean room in a convenient location, but not for those sensitice to fragrance.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong

Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong
Ranked #67 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The staff were nice, the room was clean and spacious by HK standards, the location was a short walk from Causeway Bay, but MY GOD these people love to spray strong fragrance (like an old lady's perfueme) everywhere—even in our room. I could taste it in my mouth and felt mildly queasy actually. Not good.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HKWH, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Tripadvisior member – Mark B

Many thanks for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.com and your good words over hotel location, service and the room. The fragrance is purposely to bring a refreshing and pleasing atmosphere to our guests and the flavor in use tends to be mild and distinctive. We have taken note of your comment and concerned department is required to regulate the amount of spritz used in rooms of different sizes to avoid immersing in heavy fragrance. Your profile would also be updated with the preference. Hoping that this experience would not jeopardize your intention to return to us and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in our hotel.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayd this hotel last 26.Dec to 29.
There steps were very kind and room was very clean.
Located near by MTR and tram station.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I would just like to thank Le Chef for inviting me to try their Valentines dinner.

Some of the dishes on the Valentines dinner were quite nice.
The Valentine’s Day Menu is available from 13 to 14 February 2013 serving the following:

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Warm Aubergine & Goat Cheese Fondant with Lime & Basil Sherbet & Wild Roquette Coulis
Foie Gras with Rhubarb & Shoga Confit
Poached Lobster Salad with Pea Coulis & Lemon Liquorice
Pumpkin Soup with Sautéed Scallop & Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Beet Root Cream Soup with Sautéed Wild Mushroom & Black Truffle Oil
---Or---
Pan Fried Sea Bass Fillet & Prawn in Parsley Butter Sauce with Aubergine Confit, Celeriac Fondant
Rose & Chocolate Fondant Cake with Vanilla Ice-cream
Coffee or Tea

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Since my last visit, the Chef has changed and the food seems slightly better.

Assorted bread and condiments:
To accompany the bread there was Balsalmic vinegar, citrus peel oil, butter and garlic mayonnaise.
The citrus oil tasted like aromatic oil and the garlic mayonnaise was the best because it was light and had a strong garlic taste.
It tasted really similar to my favorite Arabic Thoom sauce.

Foie Gras with Rhubarb & Shoga Confit:
I was looking forward to this, especially the Rhubarb sauce but when I tried the sauce I forgot there was rhubarb in the sauce because the rhubarb taste was light and the sharpness of the rhubarb taste was not there.
The foie gras was gently pan-fried with slight crisp surface and the sauce paired nicely with the foie gras, but it would be great if the rhubarb taste was stronger.

Poached Lobster Salad with Pea Coulis & Lemon Liquorice:
The lobster salad was quite decent because the lobster was not shredded and you can see the actual claw meat and tail meat as well.
The lobster was fresh and springy but the pea coulis tasted exactly like mashed peas but it was slightly dry.
When I saw lemon liquorice on the menu, I thought it was going to be a vinaigrette but I was so surprised it was pieces of Chinese style preserved Lemon and liquorice snacks that people eat.

Beet Root Cream Soup with Sautéed Wild Mushroom & Black Truffle Oil:
This soup was really delicious. At first I wasn't sure if the paring of mushrooms and beetroot would go together but the chef has skillfully sauteed the mushrooms prior to adding it in the soup, so the mushroom flavour was at its max.
The beet root soup was stunning too as it was bright magenta however the black truffle oil was not that apparent.
The wild mushrooms had a nice earthy taste and there were lots of mushrooms in it.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Australian Lamb Chop & Tenderloin Beef with Pan Fried Sweetbread, Baby Artichoke & Green Pea Puree:
The green pea puree was the same as the above and it was a bit dry, but there was delicious gravy with mushrooms.
The potato was pressed with heart shaped cutters giving nice decorative edible hearts in the main dish, however they were slightly too hard.

The beef was slightly stringy with quite a few tendons and it also had a really strong charred taste.
It was also strange because I could smell and taste Parmesan cheese on the beef.
The lamb chop was nice and tender and there was no gaminess.
There were also two pieces of sweetbread [the pancreas (stomach sweetbread) or the thymus gland (neck or throat sweetbread) of an animal, used for food] which tasted like chicken because it was very tender.
Hopefully when they next serve it there could be more baby artichokes and green pea puree as I could not find it or see it on the plate.

Rose & Chocolate Fondant Cake with Vanilla Ice-cream:
The fondant did not really ooze out, but as for the taste the rose was not that strong which was good because I do like eat rose.
Overall the fondant cake was a bit dense and it was similar to eating a brownie.
The rose petals were quite pretty because they were crystallized with sugar.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

The meal is priced at $488 for one, $888 for two, $1288 for three and $1588 for four people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was staying at this hotel from 21st - 26th January 2013. Hotel room is much bigger than the one I used to get at a higher rate. The only set back is not easy to get a cab from the hotel because there's no proper space for cab to stop and pick-up passenger. But, concierge staffs at the hotel has so far been very helpful and help me wave for cab every morning. Also, front desk was a bit messy when comes to billing. During check-in, I was asked to pay for my room again, while it was already been settled in full prior to me checking in. A middle-eastern staff was quite rude when processing my check-in, just simply because I "didn't" pay my room and I feel pretty offensive.

Nothing fancy about their breakfast, it was the same items over and over again every morning. But, I guess it suited those business persons who are on-the-go and no time to enjoy a wholesome heavy breakfast. Also need to take note on the bath tub, it wasn't clean properly and there are mold around the sides. But generally, room is cozy and clean.

I must mentioned that Pauline Ho, the Revenue & Marketing Manager is very helpful. She has been looking after my booking and when I arrived the hotel on the 1st day, she called me up and literally walk me around the vicinity of the hotel and show me where is the nearest MTR, place to eat, etc. I think this gesture is absolutely priceless.

In short, I love the room. It's cozy and spacious. I would highly recommend this hotel to you business travelers out there. Best part is right behind the hotel, there are at least 7-8 pubs which are filled with expats.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HKWH, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member – Hotelier_on_Holidays

Thank you for sharing your comment on TripAdvisor.com about the room and the services encountered. As mentioned, loading space is limited at the front entrance that we have deployed extra staff to take care of the traffic over there so as to ensure the service is not lacking off. Your comments about check in& billing have been brought up for immediate review and we would like to apologize for the confusion of payment as we were instructed by the payment agent to collect the outstanding bill from you even getting in touch with them again. We regret that it ended up with an unpleasant experience to you. A proper training for the staff concerned and review of procedures will be particularly arranged .

Concerned departments are required to look into every single details of the food selections and cleaning procedureagain in order to be in line with ourphilosophyof ‘Attentions to Details’to upliftoverall service standard.

Your compliment to Pauline is a great encouragement to her and the team as such demonstrates a high degree of service-oriented attitude in our hotel and your continuous support will surely bring enormous momentum to our improvement program. If we can be of any service to you in future, please feel free to contact us at doo.hkwh@metroparkhotels.com or Pauline directly.

HK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is clean and comfortable and value for money for Hong Kong. If you want to be in the middle of Wanchai, then this could well be the best option as both the hotels in Pacific Place as near the Wanchai Convention Center are just that bit further away.

Rooms are modern and meet the requirements of a business hotel. Personally I found the hotel surprisingly quiet, given the amount of traffic and bars around the corner.

Room Tip: For female travelers: there is 1 ladies floor. I haven't been on this floor, but it could be wor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HKWH, Manager at Kew Green Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member –nldeeri 1

Thank you for sharing your positive comment on TripAdvisor.com. We are delighted to learn that you find our hotel clean, comfortable and value for money. Although we are in the middle of Wanchai district with all sorts of eateries and entertainment spots around, you still find the room quiet as which demonstrates our striving for continuous improvement, some double-glazing windows are purposely installed in rooms to provide better sound proofing and we are so glad that our work is being recognized this time. We will keep up the good work and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to try out our rooms on Ladies Floor.

Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Metropark is a clean, comfortable hotel and is reasonably-priced. We stayed in a Comfort room, which, contrary to what we'd been told about Hong Kong Hotel rooms, was plenty big enough, with space for a desk, chair, cases and still room to walk freely around the room.
We could faintly hear some traffic noise from the street below when we listened out for it, but as we were staying in the middle of a city, this was no more than we would have expected and certainly was not enough to wake us or keep us awake.
The hotel is in a good location 2-3 minutes walk from the MTR and plenty of restaurants. Although the Red Light district is only a block away, the area feels very safe and we had no problems at all.
The Reception, Bar and Housekeeping staff all provided a friendly, efficient service and were able to provide all the help we required. Would certainly stay here again on another visit to Hong Kong.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tripadvisor Member –Allyson 99

Thank you for sharing your positive comment on TripAdvisor.com about hotel facilities and overall service level. As mentioned, our hotel is in the middle of Wanchai district with all sorts of eateries and entertainment spots around and we have been striving for feasible proposals to tackle this problem that finally some double-glazing windows are purposely installed in rooms to provide better sound proofing. We will keep up the good work and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to try out our Executive level rooms as whichprovide better room space , layout and appointed amenities.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was there from 27 Jan to 1 Feb. The hotel is situated just 3 min away from Wanchai MTR and there are many nice local food places along the stretch of road. The check in and check out process was very smooth and quick, and they seemed to know their stuff pretty well. Housekeeping was really fab, a clean and tidy room awaited me everyday when I got back. For travelers on business, I would highly recommend this place as it is only a brisk 5 min walk away from the offices at Pacific Place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business