“Don't Exhale”

Ranked #63 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“Don't Exhale”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Just because you call yourself a "boutique" hotel doesn't mean you can get away with poor service.

The wi-fi in the room didn't work properly and I had to go to the lobby to make calls.

There was no breakfast although I paid for "free breakfast". They told me I could call and get breakfast delivered to my room.

I did that. 5 minutes later someone knocked on my door and handed me a brown paper bag. Inside was a Kit Kat, a mini carton of milk, "Orange Drink" and a mini box of Frosted Flakes.

I kid you not. It was an embarassment.

Oh, did I mention that the room was so small f you exhaled you would be in the next room?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Eric1682
eunice c, Marketing Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Eric1682,

Please kindly accept my sincere apology . I was truly disappointed to learn that the service your received was below standard . It's definitely not acceptable and does not reflect the standard of J Plus.
Apology for the limited choices for the on-the-go breakfast. The renovation work has been completed at the lobby and the continental breakfast is being served under the normal setting again. Truly sorry for any inconvenience caused during the renovation .

We do hope that we could have another opportunity to welcome you back to J Plus in the near the future for a much better J Plus experience. Please do feel free to contact me directly in this case.
We look forward to seeing you again at J Plus .

Best Regards,
eunicechung@jplushongkong.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is a great hotel in a good location (but the subway is so good in HK that there are no really bad locations) The room was very good for the price - larger than we expected and clean and well fitted out with a small kitchenette.
The reception staff were great and tried to help in all situations. The balcony on the second floor was hard to find but a great retreat for a glass of wine (free from 6-8 pm) in the evening. (Wine was nothing to write home about but certainly drinkable after a hard day's sightseeing.) And they offered a cake and free tea/coffee and juice.
The hotel was under renovation when we were there but it did not interfere with our enjoyment - except that the continental breakfast was a bit weak as it was delivered to your room.

A perfect overnight place for visitors to Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Don't go too high as there are only two elevators.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Clark1600
eunice c, Marketing Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Clack1600,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share a review of J Plus.
I was thrilled to learn that you had a lovely stay @ J Plus .We try our very best to keep minimal disturbance to our beloved guests during the renovation period and i was glad to learn that your J Plus experience wasn't affected by it at all . Hope you will love our new look as much as we do and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon @ J Plus.

SANTA CRUZ
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Great location and big room for Hong Kong. The decor was very modern, but warm. Great shower with a overhead sunflower waterfall. The free continental breakfast was more then ample. Just a great hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better the view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
eunice c, Marketing Manger at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Hello Sammy778,

Thank you for the positive review of J Plus. I was happy to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us. Please come back and visit again soon.

Warmest regards,
Glasgow
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed here on the first leg of our honeymoon and I had researched a lot of HK hotel choices before booking. We were looking for a mix of design, service and value seeing as we were travelling to a number of locations over three weeks. As it was a special occasion we booked the suite and I was glad we did as we loved our room. Everything about it appealed to us: the design, the space, the furnishings and the size of the suite. I also liked having the kitchenette even though we didn't cook.

As it was our honeymoon the hotel manager kindly left us a welcome card and a bottle of wine which we very much appreciated. We arrived late at night (taxi straight from airport - was about 60 HKD) and were pleased to discover that the hotel would also co-ordinate deliveries from local take-away restaurants as room service - this was just what we needed after a long couple of flights. At every point when we interacted with staff they were very professional, polite and helpful.We really felt able to ask for any sort of assistance and it would be provided.

Breakfast was quite fun actually. It was quite a simple selection (bread, yoghurt etc) but we were happy with it as it met our needs before we went out for the day. Coffee from the machine was good (important!). The seating arrangements were amusing - you have to be quite savvy and grab one of the table and chairs if you can as it's not so easy incorporating a rocking chair into your breakfast action (lol!) but as far as we were concerned this was part of the charm in staying at this design hotel, and who wants everything identical anyway!? Our one regret actually was that we were always out and about and didn't make it back in time for happy hour as we would have liked to have explored the hotel facilities a bit more.

In terms of getting out and about in HK, you are a minute's walk from the ding dings (trams), the hotel staff will explain to you how to use these. You are also a short walk from the MTR which is very easy to use as well. Causeway Bay has loads to see and do, and is lively at night (reminded me of London's Covent Garden). For shopping I would advise heading over to Kowloon, but you won't be bored of an evening staying here.

I would recommend this hotel - it was a home from home and we were very comfortable here :)

Room Tip: The suite was excellent, it was a great size so if you can stretch your budget to this I would advis...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank quite_particular
eunice c, Marketing Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hello quite_particular,

Thank you very much for such a informative review of J Plus.
I was truly glad that you had a great time for your honey moon here at J Plus and our staffs were accommodating during your stay. Please come back and visit us again soon.
J Plus and our whole team are looking forward to seeing you again.

Damascus, Maryland
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I settled on this property after reading a review of it elsewhere. This being my first time in Hong Kong, I did a lot of research. Travel information kept pointing me to "a room with a view". But once I started looking at costs and convenience, the J Plus seemed to meet my needs.

I used the Airport Express to Central (100 HKD), and then a 15 minute taxi ride to the hotel (50 HKD). This was much less expensive than a taxi from the airport or using the property's car service. (Note that I arrived at HKG at 10:30 PM.) Check-in was easy and I received a one bedroom suite.

The pics on this site are accurate. The room was clean and well equipped, including toiletries, robes, slippers, umbrella, etc. The safe was large enough to hold a notebook on the smaller side. The kitchenette included a small refrigerator and a microwave (neither of which I used). A bag continental breakfast was delivered each day - not a lot of food, but fresh and enough to get you going. The AC worked well. And, if a cold spell occurs, a portable heater is also located in the room.

One of features that I really liked was the open air deck on the 2nd floor. I was able to go out there in the morning, have self serve coffee and juice and plan out my day. Also, having the washer and dryer, with soap and softener, free of charge, was available for use. This feature is not mentioned on the property's website. I would have liked to have known about it, in advance, as I would have packed a little less.

Checkout was easy, and accurate. The property would have stored my bags for me as my flight was not until 8:30 PM, but I took advantage of the airline's in-town check-in at Central. I used a taxi from the hotel back to Central.

The only negative is that the exterior walls are thin. I was on the 16th floor and heard some street noise. But, I think this due to the fact that insulation is really not needed due to the relatively nice climate.

As others have mentioned, the Causeway Bay MTR station was five minutes away. Very convenient.

While, this property does not have "a room with a view", there are plenty of public places that you can go, using convenient public transportation, to get those views.

If you have any questions, send me a message.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank lamphs
Many thanks lamphs for taking your time to share a review of J Plus.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate our outdoor podium space. We do provide washer and dryer on the 2/F for our guests use and it's free of charge . Our concept is to provide all our guests a "home away from home" , hope that you enjoyed all these little "extras" that we've provided. We look forward to having you at J Plus again soon.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Decisive points when picking this hotel were its location and large room as stated on their website. Location is truly great! It is close to Times Square and Causeway Bay Station, different restaurants in the walking distance and so on.
However, the size of the room disappointed us. We picked Studio with the size as described on J Plus website of 380 sq. ft. (approx. 35 m2). But, when we moved in, we realized that it did not reflect the reality. It barely fit approx. 25 m2. Which is for Hong Kong room sizes is not a bad one, yet we rather felt deceived, as the information on the website was misleading.
The room itself was clean, though it felt a bit worn out.
Few more things that, under different circumstances would have been easily overlooked, added up to our negative impression: 1) the shower door didn't close tight, leaking water out heavily; 2) bad sound insulation: there were people singing next door and it was heard as if in the other room of the same apartment, 3) Since there was a kitchenette in each room, sometimes hallway was filled with cooking smells, which were not always the pleasant ones.
Among good things: 1)breakfasts were offered every morning though with very poor choice: fruit, yoghurt, pastries, jam and butter, boiled eggs, a bit of cheese, juice, coffee/tea, 2) Laundry onsite, 3) As mentioned above, location.
Overall feeling: it was ok, but not satisfying, did not feel comfy and cozy, where you can come back from a long day and relax, felt cramped.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Olga B
eunice c, General Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you Alga B for taking the valuable time to share your comments with us, which allow us to review and make improvements. It is regret to learn that your experience with us was different from what you expected. First of all, please accept my sincerely apologies.

I personally inspected the room you stayed at and a full and thoroughly investigation had been taken in all guestrooms to ensure the room conditions are all keep in the highest possible standard. Once again, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Should you have any queries or if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at vivianchau@jplushongkong.com. We look forward to welcoming you back to J Plus again soon!

Respectfully yours
vivian chau
general manager
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the J Plus Hotel in an adjacent room to our son, daughter in law and their two infant children for nine nights. On our previous visits to Hong Kong, we stayed at hotels in Kowloon rather than on the island, so we were curious about what to expect. We were not disappointed. Public transport (MTR) is about 3 minutes walk away, and buses and taxis are plentiful. There are a number of major shops nearby, including a Seven 11, and a large 24 hour supermarket. Quite a large market is across the road. The rooms at the hotel are surprisingly large, with a main bedroom, sleepout nook with a single bed, well equipped kitchen, and spacious lounge room with a dining room table. The hotel provides free wi-fi, and a laundry area with three new washing machines and driers at no cost. All you can eat continental breakfast, a free wine buffet from 6.00 to 8.00pm, and all day tea and coffee are available downstairs. The rooms were very clean, and well serviced daily. The air conditioners worked perfectly, and not too noisy. The reception staff (especially Kay) were most obliging, from helping carry our bags to the hotel on arrival, and to our transport on departure. There are a number of eateries nearby, with our favourite being the Michelin star noodle restaurant across the road. Taxis seem to have difficulty knowing the hotel, so perhaps tell them to take you to the better known Regal Hotel at Causeway Bay. There is not much signage on the J Plus hotel itself, so it is suggested to do a Google Earth to get an image of the hotel before you get there.

Room Tip: Higher floors are very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Barry A
eunice c, Marketing Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Many thanks Barry A for sharing such an informative and wonderful review of J Plus. I was truly thrilled to learned that you and your family had a great time at J Plus . Please kindly rest assured that our guest relation team , especially Kay will be recognized with her extraordinary service. We hope to see you and your family at J Plus again soon.