The Cosmopolitan is no-one's dream hotel, but it is conveniently located, has a fair standard and friendly staff. What made it very suitable for us was the fact that they have quad family rooms, making it possible for our whole family to stay in one room. That is very rare these days, unfortunately.
But the room was good. Two large beds, a somewhat worn bathroom and a good view over the Causeway Bay area, albeit from the "backside".
Breakfast was included, but the capacity of the restaurant was not quite sufficient for the rush hour from 9am to 10am. Two out of three mornings we had to queue for around 5 minutes before getting a table. The buffet breakfast was fine, you could even order your own omelette.
The hotel, as mentioned, is conveniently located. That does not mean, however, that it is located in an idyllic or peaceful spot. On the contrary, it is in a very trafficed intersection with 24hrs heavy traffic. To walk from the hotel to the nearby shopping area you have to use the underpass and then walk for a few blocks before arriving at the commercial area. This only takes about 5 minutes, though, so it is no big deal.
The breakfast restaurant doubles as a Chinese restaurant in the evening. We never wanted to try that facility.
There is a lobby bar which is more like a hole in the wall in the busy lobby. It is not nice in any way, and it is quite amazing that this hotel has no topfloor/rooftop establishment, given the splendid views such a place would boast. There is a poster by the elevators recommending a bar at the next door Cosmo Hotel, but we took one look at it and ran away. There are lots of much better bars a few blocks away.
So, in short, the Cosmopolitan suited our needs but did not charm us in any way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong has completed a top-to-bottom overhaul to all its 454 rooms and suites and the hotel lobby. The new lobby welcomes guest with an unexpectedly playful vibe which is apparent on the design elements aimed to captivate one's senses. Each of the newly refurbished room, on the other hand, adopts a meticulous theme including the East-meets-West Victorian and classic Oriental and sleek-contemporary designs to name a few. Refurbished rooms offer a majestic view of the race course adjacent to the hotel, while the redesigned bathrooms feature a refreshing rain shower experience. Every Friday, hotel guests are welcome to join the 'Dorsett Wine Hour' at the lobby during which free flow of wine and canapés are provided. For the kids, there is also a colourfully decorated Candy Bar filled with sweet treats. With a lively neighborhood to explore and a dynamic address amid Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, there is a subway station only an eight-minute stroll away. All hotel guests will be given a specially designed 'Eat & Shop Like A Local' booklet which covers a host of local-recommended eateries and shopping spots in the hotel's neighbourhood, offering guests an authentic Hong Kong experience. The hotel also offers scheduled shuttle services to 16 destinations including Causeway Bay, Wanchai, Central, Admiralty, Quarry Bay and Taikoo. Every guestroom features a portable smart phone for free use inside and outside of the hotel, offering unlimited 3G internet supported by Wi-Fi hotspot sharing function, free local and IDD calls to 9 select countries including Australia, Canada, China, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, UK and US. Other facilities include a gymnasium, meeting rooms accommodating up to 200 delegates, a refurbished bar on the lobby level and Dining House serving Cantonese cuisine. Dorsett Wanchai is an environmentally friendly "green" hotel with a 100% smoke-free policy. It is also an Earthcheck Bronze Benchmarked Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Ctrip TA and Travelocity so you can book your Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cosmopolitan Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Cosmopolitan Hotel Hong Kong
- Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong