“Will be back...”

Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong
Ranked #114 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Overall, this hotel was a good experience for me and my daughter. Upon arrival, the concierge and frontdesk staff were all very friendly and we were offered an upgrade to a superior room as our room was not ready. It was fine as we were famished and decided to head out for some makan before checking into the room. Though the standard room we had was small, it had a cosy feeling. The bar fridge was not working on our 1st night but the hotel staff had it replaced within 10 minutes. We enjoyed the walk to Wan Chai MTR approx. 5-10 mins and along the way, there is a corner stall selling curry fishball and octopus sticks which is my daughter's favourite. We dropped by every night on our way back to the hotel. On our last night, we had dinner at the hotel's chinese restaurant..if i remember correctly, the name's He Jiang. The food was good especially the braised pork and it was nice sitting by the window and looking out at the night street traffic. I guess the only thing is the queue for breakfast..it gets a bit of a wait past 830am.

Room Tip: Might want to consider the deluxe room with city bay or racecourse view as the standard room comes w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,249)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is clean, efficient and helpful. The price is excellent for its location opposite the race track. One is only 10-15 minutes away from Central HK by taxis which are plentiful at any time of day. I would highly recommend you stay here if you need to be close to the city centre but don't want the sky high mid-town prices.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I lasted about 4 hours at this hotel. I upgraded to a deluxe room and was given a room on the 21st floor, when I got to my room there was a loud drilling sound coming from the 18th floor apparently from renovations the hotel was undergoing. None of this was mentioned to me at the time I booked or checked into the hotel. (not to mention the room was disgusting) I asked to be moved to another floor, I was then moved to the 10th floor, my king bed was now a double that was rock hard, I complained and they sent in a blanket to put underneath the mattress cover. After looking around the room and taking photos of the yellow stained toilet, scum in the shower, a rusting fire extinguisher and an exposed electrical wire need the shower I decided to check out and move across the road to the Crowne Plaza which was amazing.

In addition to this I met another couple in the lift who were also checking out the same day they arrived, my two other friends stayed one night and checked out the following day to move to the Crowne. Don't believe the photos as they're photoshopped or 20 years old.

Only good things to say are the location is ok and the staff in the lobby were very nice and attentive however when I checked out no-one seemed to care that after numerous complaints they didn't want to make any comment about the hotels condition or attempt make any attempt to address my concerns.

Stay anywhere but here.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Matthew G
CosmopolitanHotelHK, General Manager at Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your valuable time on bringing your recent unpleasant experience to our attention. First of all, please accept our apology regarding the renovation noise you encountered during your stay. While guest letters were put in every guestroom to inform guests about the possible disturbance, we are sorry about the inconvenience caused. We hope our Guest Services Manager has arranged the room change for you promptly and we trust the extra topper put on our Simmons mattress has made you a puffier bed as requested. Having said that, we are also regret to learn about the occasional scenes in the guestroom as mentioned. Though regular maintenance is carried out for each guestroom, rest assured that we will look into these situations seriously and ensure all hotel facilities and rooms are well-maintained.

While we provide accurate and detailed information on our official website, our guests are always welcome to contact our 24-hour on duty Guest Services Team for any concerns or enquiries. Please also be ensured that all front line staff will be reminded to render exceptional services under any circumstances. Matthew, our rooms will be renovated soon, with a facelift we hope to welcoming you back for a promising experience.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is in a nice spot across from the Happy valley racecourse, right on the tramline and a short walk to causeway bay MTR station. Plus they run regular shuttle buses to the MTR station and also to Hong Kong MTR/airport express station.

Rooms were a bit small, but it is HK! Service was generally pretty good, although the hard sell on the room upgrade at check-in wasn't that pleasant. They didn't even want to offer a discount for a week.

I'd stay here again, but I'd also look around as well before deciding to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a view of the cemetary!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The best option here, for us, is always a De Luxe room with Causeway Bay view. Forget the 'Standard' rooms. We walked into one once and walked straight out again.
The Guest Services Managers (I think I'm in love with Agnes), Bell Captains and room attendants are all very willing and capable.
Breakfast has a wide selection (both European and Chinese), but do stay away from the bacon - unless you prefer yours boiled, stringy and tough.
The hotel's shuttle bus services to Times Square (Causeway Bay) and to Admiralty/Central (inckuding the Airport Express train) are a definite plus, although an extension to Star Ferry (Central) would certainly be welcome.
The Cosmopolitan has an "individual" flavor all its own, and it is one which suits me, and many other people, admirably.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel is located right between Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, everything is within easy reach. Most importantly, there is free shuttle bus!
I took it almost every day to get to Causeway By MTR station, super convenient!
The service is very good too, staff is always wearing smile on their face, which makes me feel like home. I did enjoy staying here very much and will definitely return again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katemoss31
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in The Cosmopolitan from 5-8th February 2013 and were very pleased with the accommodation and service. We had an executive room with racecourse view on the 16th floor, very clean and impressive. Reception were very helpful and efficient, particularly Alison, who arranged for my wife's bag, which she left on the airport shuttle, to be retreived that same night! We were also able to delay our check out, without difficulty, to accommodate a late evening flight. We had breakfast in the hotel, which was good although the buffet dishes were not always as hot as the should be, but this was more than made up for by the excellent, made to order, omlettes!
The hotel is central, close to public transport and with its own shuttle bus service.It was clean,well staffed and has an air of efficiency.I would happily recommend The Cosmopolitan to anyone travelling to Hong Kong.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple