“Shocky place”
Review of Chungking House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hong Kong
Chungking House
Ranked #109 of 159 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I stayed in this Chungking house with my family for 4 days and I would not stay here anymore. So many african ladies on the ground floor waiting for,,,,,,and it's a very crowded area. The room is clean but some have no hot shower, hi speed internet connection and staffs are very kind. Does not met my expectation. I will not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MilesPhilippines
There are newer reviews for Chungking House

Reviewed January 27, 2010

I'm a 62 year old English woman -and have been to Hk a lot. When I have enough funds I stay at the Salisbury but when I didn't I stayed at Chungking House for a week and felt safe. there. If there were drug dealers I didn't recognise them! My room was good. Their kitchen was dirty but I didnt cook or eat there. The Chinese owners looked after my luggage and were helpful. The room was clean and had a reasonable bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank arlena99
Reviewed July 21, 2009

The reason why my fiance chose this hotel is because we both love Chung King Express movie by wong Kar Wai(HK Director). Anyway, I have a love-hate review. I love the following : clean rooms, polite/accommodating/friendly/english speaking nigerian staff, safe-looking co-visitors, near the highway where you can get a bus and cab, staff will also let you put some stuff inside the 'hotel' fridge. I am not so happy with the following: Rooms are small and the bathrooms are automatically small as well, the elevators leading to your room from the ground floor are also small and can get really crowded, it is so noisy downstairs so sleeping at night can also be challenging, there are many indian merchants in the ground floor so if you like indian food and smell--GOOD for you but not for some people like me. (the only good thing about this is if you feel hungry in the middle of the night you can take an elevator ride and buy some snacks but I suggest you do not. I feel unsafe walking and wandering downstairs, last but not the least, internet connection has a big huge problem though they claim it existent and FREE. I stayed there for 4-5 days because i wanted to prove that I can withstand such conditions. BUT I will stay in another place next time around. i guess this place is all right if you are trying to save because it is cheap and after all, the staff members are polite. However, if you want space, relaxation and silence- I urge you not to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Red_Stamp
Reviewed June 21, 2009

ChungKing Mansions is truly multicultural and full of nice exotic African Ladies willing to have a good time, too.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mafuerst
Reviewed April 30, 2009

I don't recommend anyone stays here. This is a decrepit building with loads of hostels crammed into the upper floors, served by just two lifts. The ground floor is full of various 'shops' and market stalls, shady characters, hookers and god knows what else. The whole place is like a rabbit warren and I dread to think what would happen in a fire. The rooms are tiny - the smallest room I have ever seen, prob 3m square at most. Avoid at all costs, there are much better places.
ONE good point - location is brilliant!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2008

I booked a double room at the Maple Leaf Guesthouse in Chunking Mansions in Hong Kong at hostelworld.com. The reviews said clean but small - a HUGE understatement as we found out.

Admittedly, the room did seem very clean, but the double room we had booked was probably less than 2 meters square. The bed was essentially a small double camp bed and there wasn't room for two people to stand up next to it at the same time. The bathroom was a hot water tank over the loo - nowhere to keep anything dry and no other storage space in the rest of the room. Oh, and no windows in any of this. For this privilege we were meant to pay HKD320 per night (about GBP23/24).

We left the room within 2 minutes of arriving and walked round to the Salisbury, which is a YMCA but also a 3/4 star hotel round the corner with fantastic harbour views. A dorm bed costs HKD230 and a double room about HKD850. Much much bigger and much much better. I would strongly recommend people to stay here, rather than at any of the Chunking Mansions guesthouses.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank cambridge62
Reviewed June 11, 2007

I would strongly advise you not to stay at Chunking House. Being cheap does not justify the place being totally terrible.

The house is one big ruin, with no windows at all on some of the floors, facade falling off, it all looks like it is about to collapse any moment. You can get the idea looking at the pic: http://realtravel.com/hong_kong-photos-p994067-997498.html

Some rooms without windows, rats, plenty of strangers hanging around the entrance picking on you every time you go in or out make you feel very unsafe. This is undoubtedly one of the worst hostels I stayed in and really, don't understand how can something that horrible be still standing in Kowloon.

Anyway, have a good stay in HKG!

7  Thank el_Sz