See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 10, 2016

I walked around a bit before I found my hostel - Chungking Mansions. I read a lot of negative reviews about the place being dodgy and "unsafe", so I was concerned. But upon reaching the place, it wasn't scary at all. People were bothered of the Indian men hustling around the neighborhood - I actually found them rather lively and amusing - a place for people watching! Perhaps I am used to such places as it resembled Manila - where people hustle like that daily. You just smile and say no firmly to them if you aren't interested and they will move on to their next sale - you can even ask them for directions as they get around and are mostly street smart. If any, what bothered me about Chungking Mansion is their shower heaters - it is damn hard to set.

But if you'd like to do bit of staycation, do not stay here coz it would feel suffocating. Only stay here if you know that it's just a place to sleep, and if you're okay to say "oh well I don't care, will just sleep and go have fun outside later"

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2016 via mobile

I have gone to hong kong in 2015 its very expensive to live and eat its more expensive then singapore... I have not reserve a room there and on spot its so high rate. Always reserve your stay in advance if u are going to hong kong because tourism is higher then other countries.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank gauravsaini00
Reviewed June 8, 2016

We had mistakenly booked our hotel here. It was very smelly but the things sold here are cheap so it's okay for a traveler with a tight budget.

My friends and I were a little bit scared because when we were about to enter the place , everyone was looking at us and they were like "Hi Miss Beautiful" "Ganda" "Wow maganda babae" so we were a little creeped out. And the walkways were very smelly.

Room tip: Make sure to read reviews of the hotel inside the mansion.
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of days with my friend and was satisfied. Wifi is good but cuts out occasionally, Air con and the fan work great. Seemed like a safe area but was offered drugs frequently, water was only hot for a short period of time and the shower and toilet were kind of merged into one. My main problem was that the room wasn't as advertised and was incredibly small (although have heard most Hong Kong rooms are). Room was relatively clean and beds fairly comfortable. If you are looking for the bare minimum with air con then this is the place for you, but if you are looking for something better then I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank BorisJ1337
Reviewed January 6, 2016

Chungking Mansions is a lot cleaner and safer than it has ever been. That is more of a testament of how bad it was rather than what its like now. The external has been renovated and it blends in so much more so it no longer stands out like a sore thumb. Well worth a visit to the ground floor if you find yourself in this section of Nathan Road.

There are lots of money changers with excellent rates, food stalls, watch and simcard sellers. I personally would not eat here but the smells are amazing with food from right around the world.

When it comes to staying here... NOT A CHANCE !!!

Room tip: Good Luck !!!
Date of stay: December 2015