See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 13, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of days with my friend and was satisfied. Wifi is good but cuts out occasionally, Air con and the fan work great. Seemed like a safe area but was offered drugs frequently, water was only hot for a short period of time and the shower and toilet were kind of merged into one. My main problem was that the room wasn't as advertised and was incredibly small (although have heard most Hong Kong rooms are). Room was relatively clean and beds fairly comfortable. If you are looking for the bare minimum with air con then this is the place for you, but if you are looking for something better then I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank BorisJ1337
Reviewed January 6, 2016

Chungking Mansions is a lot cleaner and safer than it has ever been. That is more of a testament of how bad it was rather than what its like now. The external has been renovated and it blends in so much more so it no longer stands out like a sore thumb. Well worth a visit to the ground floor if you find yourself in this section of Nathan Road.

There are lots of money changers with excellent rates, food stalls, watch and simcard sellers. I personally would not eat here but the smells are amazing with food from right around the world.

When it comes to staying here... NOT A CHANCE !!!

Room tip: Good Luck !!!
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2015

It appears there are tons of hostels within the Chung King Mansion. Which we found quite confusing as when we booked our hotel it said Singapore Hostel but on arrival the floor we were on listed about 3 other hostels, plus the amenities such as soaps and tooth brushes had a different name on it.

Besides all of the confusion, this building is famous as the taxi driver told us en route from the airport to the hostel..when I asked if it was a good thing he said no..lol

On arrival to the building there was loads of touts outside trying to lure you in to either book a hostel or tailor. The entrance of this building is like this pretty much all hours of the night, which can be very daunting. After a couple of days though, you get used to the hectic environment and learn to push past with little to no communication.

As soon as you walk into the main entrance the lift/elevator is on the left, which always seems to be extremely busy. I'm convinced everyone lives in this building. The lifts take a while to arrive but they fortunately have one lift for even numbers and one lift for odd. There are stairs somewhere on the backside of the building if you fancy the trek.

Once in our hotel I will say it was like fort knox, and so we did feel very safe, which was highly important considering how active the entrance and building is with many undesirable characters hanging around.

So in a nutshell, if you can look past he hectic busyness of the entrance of this building you will probably have a fine stay. It is a hostel after all so you get what you pay for.

Towels were provided and bin emptied every day. Fridge, microwave, and kettle was available in the communal area. Wifi was very good.

We stayed here for 5 nights, which was rather long but a perfect location in Kowloon. Couldn't get more central than this.

Dates stayed: 16-21 October 2015

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Lifesliving
Reviewed November 22, 2015 via mobile

It was cheap and very near a MRT exit. It was in the middle of everything. A short walk from the entrance of the building to the elevator meant you will see dozens of stores selling cheap electronics and various food. There is also a money changer, clothing shop, grocery, perfume retail store, and many others.. There was many people all the time. I feel anxious until I finally get in the elevator, and then feel anxious again as I enter my room w no windows. I am a humble traveller but I don't think I will stay here again.
The owners of the inns obviously try to make the stay as decent as possible (clean room, free toiletries, towels folded artistically) and I appreciate that but the sheer volume of everything (people, noise, stuff..) is just a little too overwhelming for me.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Marra R
Reviewed October 26, 2015 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed at the Peace Guesthouse in Chunking from 19th - 21st September 2015. It was an interesting stay to say the least! Trying to find budget accommodation in Hong Kong is difficult and it lead us to this brilliant and crazy place. There are 100's of hostels located in this mansion which are all the same. The mansion is filled with Nigerians and Indians who's food is sold all around (the curry is amazing and authentic). The hustle and bustle of people trying to sell knockoff bags, wallets and watches is entertainment enough! In regards to the room, it was small and cramped.. But it did the job and we felt incredibly safe there. For an authentic and unusual feel of Hong Kong I would recommend. How beer if you like something more upmarket and quiet it's probably not the best.

Date of stay: October 2015