“Anne Black best Hotel in Hong Kong for budget traveler”

and 1 more site!
Anne Black Guest House (YWCA)
Ranked #355 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed at the Anne Black Guest House from June 24th until July 18th. I visited my GirlFriend Fiona(best woman in the world). When I arrived the staff was friendly but they never seem to smile. But this seemed to be very common when I was in HK. I stayed in room 1119 and 1109. The rooms were very clean. The bed is a bit hard but nothing to worry about. There is a television in the room that offers 5 stations where 2 of them are English. The rooms have AC that worked very well. The bathrooms are shared but they are very very clean. Make sure you bring slippers. Towels, shampoo, and soap are provided. WIFI Internet is free but there were times it did not work. The WIFI does not work in the rooms. You have to go to the lobby to get online. If you want to get online for free, go to the library. The library is to the left of the hotel. There is a restaurant on the lobby floor. The restaurant had very good food.

The hotel is located in a safe area. Alot of foreigners stayed in the hotel when I was there. The hotel is close to Waterloo Road, which offers plenty of buses to get you to anywhere in HK. I used the buses alot. They are very inexpensive.

I have read alot of the reviews on this site about Anne Black Guest House and I was surprised that some visitors gave this hotel a bad rating. I was very happy with my stay at Anne Black. Its not a perfect hotel. But if you are looking to stay at a place that is affordable, clean, and safe. Go to Anne Black.

The Anne Black Hotel is the best you can buy in Hong Kong for the price they charge you.
Do not go to Hostels in HK. They offer you practically nothing and they are not safe.
Almost all the hostels in HK that I researched are very small and they usually do not give you what they claim to have. Me and my GirlFriend went online to search for Hostels in Hong Kong. We found a few that we liked so we decided to go look at them. We thought we found some great Hostels for great prices. But when we went to the Hostels to look at the rooms, we were shocked to see that the pictures of the rooms that the Hostels said they were renting were not even close to being what the room actually was. Every Hostel that me and my Girlfriend visited did not offer a room that was worth staying. Once again, DO NOT STAY AT HOSTELS unless you have absolutely no other options.

There is a church service on Sunday morning at Anne Black on the lobby floor.
The church is OK but not great! If you are a Christian and you want to get a good message then go to the church service at Anne Black on Sunday morning at 10am.
If you want to go to a really great church then go to the ICA Church on Hong Kong Island.

I hope this was helpful. If anyone wants to ask me more about the Anne Black Guest House or if you have any questions about Hong Kong. Feel free to contact me at my email and I will be happy to tell you whatever you want to know about Hong Kong or about the Anne Black Guest House. KenCarabba68@yahoo.com

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
11  Thank kencarabba

Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed here for 6 days, it was a budget hotel, the room was big enough for the 3 adults staying. The room had a tv and the bathroom was sufficient, this hotel is perfect if you plan on exploring the city most of the day and only come back for rest and sleeping!

The hotel only gave one pillow per bed so if you prefer more then you will need to bring your own :)

Reception staff were incredibly helpful and patient especially during typhoon warning when we had no idea what was going on.

Be reminded that it is helpful to have the hotel card with you at all times or at least the hotel name in Chinese characters with you to show taxi drivers, it is a little bit of a walk- maybe 15 minutes to the train station.

Breakfast is ok, but there is bakeries and McDonalds near by if you prefer something a little like home.

Hotel is walking distance to markets and the train to Shenzen!

Given the roads are very busy most rooms are high up so you don't get any noise

Only negative is the lifts take forever but if you are only using them twice a day you'll be fine :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank sarebear007
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I thought I got a very good deal when I managed to book this hotel online for SGD$50/night... I was very wrong. Apparently my $50 did not include basic respect and courtesy.

When the hotel staff saw that I had a 'discounted' room, they became visibly hostile to me. Thinking that I didn't speak Cantonese, the staff made snide remarks and rolled their eyes right in front of me during check-in. To top it off, they assigned me a sub-standard room, which I realized was unlike the other rooms on the same floor as my room didn't have the clothes hanger mounted on the wall, the window blinds were all thrashed up so we couldn't close them properly and the air-conditioning was noisy and cranky.

The bed was hard (which seems to be a common complaint about this hotel), and the shared bathroom too has no hooks whatsoever to hang our clothes. I just draped my clothes over the wall. I have one more week left at this hotel and already I'm thinking of staying at a hostel, which I believe might even more pleasant than this 'hotel'.

There is no Wi-Fi in the room... bring your laptop down to the lobby where there is free Wi-FI, or pay HK$30 for half an hour of internet in their computer room. To YWCA's credit, the free Wi-Fi is decently fast.

Location wise, very far from the MTR... A good 15 minutes walk in the summer heat. There are a few buses to take to central Mong Kok a little way outside YWCA, but the location certainly isn't as accessible as advertised.

Overall, very unpleasant experience... This hotel might be good for solo travellers who just want a bed to crash for the night, but definitely not for holidays with family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank yipjy
Reviewed June 14, 2011

A decent and clean hotel, located a bit off the beaten track on Kowloon Island, but still easily accessible (about 10 to 15 minutes walk from the subway).

Rooms are okay, a bit tired but clean. The beds are pretty hard -as is quite usual in Asia- and rather small - with my 6'5 I didn't fit on it :)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 83Bart
Reviewed June 11, 2011

By Hongkong standards, this is a good place to stay - some disadvantages, some advantages - probably the most important among the latter being the low cost.

Mistake # 1...
I took teh airport express shuttle which dropped me at the hotel close to the YWCA. Bad idea - the hostel is located on an upward slope on a road hidden behind buildings. It took me 15 minutes of asking and poking to find the path. (Despite being able to SEE the building!) Finally, I called the hostel and they told me to come via the public librarry (there are no signboard anywhere en route) - nut comfortable when you are lugging around the luggage. So my suggestion - pay 50 Hkg dollars and take a cab fromt eh airport express Kowlooon.

Check in was quick, the otel is not exactly bright and sprightly, neither dull. Staff is polite as would be expected in a YWCA, there are always some community services happening on the lower floors so tehre are always peopel around.

The room itself was very small - me and my 2 bags could just about fit in. (I took the larger room costing 450 dollars). Now this IS the best you will get in Hkg for 450 dollars. Rooms are clean (Best part - they have huge windows), air con. The TV has 6 channels (1 English - the rest are Cantonese / Mandarin). There is a hot ware kettle (remember to bring your own tea / coffee).

The restaurant is really good - large, inexpensive, quick service, good food.

Taxis are easy to get, and while the hostel is located in the midst of residences, a public library and schools, it is 5 minutes walk from the main Waterloo road. The MTR is a good 15 minute trek, through the busy streets of Mongkok.

I just wish rooms had wifi - they do not. So, to use internet, you need to go to the reception (always full of people, no place to sit) or the restaurant. It is free though (unlike hotels that always charge for the net)

All in all, the YWCA Anne Black is a good place for single people on a budget, but if you can afford bigger bucks, or are here with your family, stay at a hotel with larger rooms.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank timetohangupmyboots
Reviewed June 4, 2011

we booked this hotel because we wanted an affordable choice in the kowloon area. the room was very decent and very clean, the staff were perfectly friendly and even accommodated our request for late checkout. the hotel is very near the metropark hotel, which is served by the airport express shuttle buses (k5) - a convenient way to travel from the airport and back.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank olegnatadero
Reviewed May 5, 2011

The location is good .Located in Kowloon near to may shopping areas and night markets . The train station is also walkable . Being a lodge the toilets/bath rooms are common .

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends