“A cheap place to stay, but rooms are tiny”

and 1 more site!
Anne Black Guest House (YWCA)
Ranked #366 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
London
“A cheap place to stay, but rooms are tiny”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

By Hongkong standards, this is a good place to stay - some disadvantages, some advantages - probably the most important among the latter being the low cost.

Mistake # 1...
I took teh airport express shuttle which dropped me at the hotel close to the YWCA. Bad idea - the hostel is located on an upward slope on a road hidden behind buildings. It took me 15 minutes of asking and poking to find the path. (Despite being able to SEE the building!) Finally, I called the hostel and they told me to come via the public librarry (there are no signboard anywhere en route) - nut comfortable when you are lugging around the luggage. So my suggestion - pay 50 Hkg dollars and take a cab fromt eh airport express Kowlooon.

Check in was quick, the otel is not exactly bright and sprightly, neither dull. Staff is polite as would be expected in a YWCA, there are always some community services happening on the lower floors so tehre are always peopel around.

The room itself was very small - me and my 2 bags could just about fit in. (I took the larger room costing 450 dollars). Now this IS the best you will get in Hkg for 450 dollars. Rooms are clean (Best part - they have huge windows), air con. The TV has 6 channels (1 English - the rest are Cantonese / Mandarin). There is a hot ware kettle (remember to bring your own tea / coffee).

The restaurant is really good - large, inexpensive, quick service, good food.

Taxis are easy to get, and while the hostel is located in the midst of residences, a public library and schools, it is 5 minutes walk from the main Waterloo road. The MTR is a good 15 minute trek, through the busy streets of Mongkok.

I just wish rooms had wifi - they do not. So, to use internet, you need to go to the reception (always full of people, no place to sit) or the restaurant. It is free though (unlike hotels that always charge for the net)

All in all, the YWCA Anne Black is a good place for single people on a budget, but if you can afford bigger bucks, or are here with your family, stay at a hotel with larger rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank timetohangupmyboots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed June 4, 2011

we booked this hotel because we wanted an affordable choice in the kowloon area. the room was very decent and very clean, the staff were perfectly friendly and even accommodated our request for late checkout. the hotel is very near the metropark hotel, which is served by the airport express shuttle buses (k5) - a convenient way to travel from the airport and back.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank olegnatadero
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 5, 2011

The location is good .Located in Kowloon near to may shopping areas and night markets . The train station is also walkable . Being a lodge the toilets/bath rooms are common .

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Varun V
UK
Reviewed April 17, 2011

good value budget rooms - very large with big bathroom. we had twin room due to no doubles available - last minute booking. ok location, 15 mins walk to tube.

service great, they have locked valuable boxes behind front desk, free wifi in lobby. We think there were computers on one floor as well but didn't see them.

one floor is ladies only if you are a female solo traveller.

would stay again. hotel offers to arrange transfer to airport but much much cheaper to get the local bus, goes from main road, 10mins walk away.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abbieandjon
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 8, 2011

My sister and I stayed in the Anne Black for three nights, and were perfectly happy with the service, location and rooms. Stayed on the women's only floor (which was unexpected, but fine) and found the bathrooms clean, with good pressure in the showers. We never had to wait or even encountered anybody else in the shared bathrooms.

Our room was characterless, but tidy and had a kettle, basin, complementary soap, toothbrush and towels, as well as extra pillows. Beds were very firm, but comfortable enough, and we weren't ever too cold.

Service was friendly, with the receptionists helping us out with buses, trainlines and directions.

We were a little taken aback by how expensive the use of the computer and internet services was, but it wasn't a terrible problem for us.

Not as close to a subway station as would be ideal, but considering we were out and about all day, it didn't worry us too badly.

Also got a few giggles out of Man Fuk Road.

All in all, a fairly good hostel, that we had no problem with - just nothing to rave about.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 6, 2011

when i was planning to go to HONGKONG with my girlfriend for a small trip, i was looking for some economical accomadation.
many people suggested me this place, and i had read farily good reviews about this place on tripadvisor.
but I was thoroughly disappointed.
the rooms are'nt so cheap either.
when i booked the rooms by email, they asked me for 400 HKD with credit card.
i assumed they had same prices for 2 people or one person (since all hotels in HONKONG have same tariff for 1 person or 2 person).

but when i reached there with my wife , they told me I had to pay an extra 200 HKD as I had an extra person with me !!

I was like "what !!! you must be kiddin !! "

if I knew about that earlier, I am pretty sure I would have got a better deal with other good hotels in TST , like THE GUANGDONG hotel.

its pretty far away from MTR, which I hate !!

its rooms are not hotel rooms at all, but hostel rooms !! dingly small with hard bed, small windows !!

frankly speaking its highly overrated !!

Room Tip: only go for it, if you do not have any othr option
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 20, 2011

One of the worst hotel that i has even stay. When we check-in, the staff at help desk is not friendly and showing attitude. The bed at the room are hard as rock. After staying for four day, I has stiff neck and backache.
During our visit the temperature is 14 ~20C but the window can not keep the coldness away. The worst part is that the hotel only provide thin sheet of blanket instead of comforter. The air con is the dinosaur type that did not come with remote control. We have to step on our bed to set the air con temperature and fan.
In turn of internet, it only available at the ground floor. The hotel has two small and slow lift. One of the lift operate even floor while the other operate odd floor. Thus getting to the room might take a long time.
The location of the hotel is average. You need to walk about 15 min from Yau Ma Tei MTR station or 20 min from Mong Kok. Even thou it is slightly cheaper, it not worth to stay there. It feel like a hostel more then a hotel. For couple or family trip, it better to avoid this hotel as it will likely spoil the holiday mood.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family