“Excellent. Our favourite restaurant in Hong Kong”
Review of Chachawan

Ranked #97 of 10,129 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sheung Wan
Description: A buzzy, neighbourhood style restaurant & bar opened in July 2013 featuring Isaan cuisine and a great selection of beers and drinks. A place not just to eat, but also to hang out at the end of the day. Originating from the 'Isaan' region, this cuisine has a raw, down to earthiness about it that is rarely found in other regions. Focusing on grilled meats and fish prepared on the charcoal pit, Chachawan's menu offers distinctive and wholesome 'Isaan' style dishes that pack a punch of flavours. No reservations, no service charge.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We have visited Chachawan more times than I can remember, and most recently last night. It serves Issan style Thai food, and every dish is consistently excellent, every time we go. I particularly recommend the Gai Yung, Wagyu Beef Salad, King Prawns and Pork Skewers, but actually, everything is good.

You can sit in the restaurant, or at the open kitchen - sitting at the kitchen counter is a wonderful experience, and the chef will usually engage with you whilst you're there.

You can't make reservations, so it helps to get there before 7pm. However, we have frequently been later than this and usually have a drink in the restaurant next door whilst we wait for our table. It's definitely worth the wait!

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Spicy cocktails and tasty food! Everything you can expect from a good thai restaurant with an extra Sheung Wan atmosphere!
Be prepared to wait to get your table ready though...

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We arrived a little early and sat at the bar for a few pre dinner drinks. At the same time we put our name down for a table for 4.
After a little while we went and sat down in favour of the chairs over the bar stools and ordered some great Thai. Everything read well and we weren't disappointed. The clams were a bit hot but delicious and every other dish we had was cooked well and great flavours.
Service was very good and by the time we left there was fair sized line of people waiting.
This isn't a place likely to ever make the cheap eats guide but it was good. One of the best Thais I have had.
Just remember to get there early. They don't take reservations.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Chachawan is the newest trendy Thai place in Hong Kong, offering predominantly Isan Thai food in Sheung Wan.

Generally I find Thai food in HK to be average at best, so I was hopeful this might offer something better.

I've been there twice and have come away disappointed both times. The food is not terrible, but definitely not authentic (like you'd get in Thailand), and scaled to western tastes. Portions are very small, and prices are high (they have to pay their likely exhorbitant rent). Service was spotty and rude and we felt completely rushed to eat and get out even though we spent a lot of money.

So not a great experience, and not likely that I'll go back.

1  Thank sfmattyb
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We are lucky tonight as a friend has an inroad to get a cheeky reservation in this place where the word reservation is banned. My boyfriend and I are a smidge early so we grab a beer and stand outside and wait for our friends. 5 seconds spent observing the goings-on at this serious-funk of a restaurant and I know my taste buds are going to be doing star jumps when we sit down to perve on the menu. We suck up the atmosphere which isn’t hard as it almost penetrates your pores via osmosis – lively, humming with chatter and clinking of plates and glasses. The staff are of the truly-hip kind, baggy jeans, trendy trainers, enormous ear-lobe-stretching earrings. Chachawan has serious personality.

Our friends arrive and we pootle upstairs to our table. On the upper deck the setting is a sort of in-and-out-quick type vibe. The seating is a mix of plastic stools and wooden chairs and the walls are festooned with fantastic hipster-artistry and wallpaper that pays homage to Thai deities. Downstairs has less of a canteen-type air to it but we are happy to be here and delighted to have a table.

I love our waiter immediately – in the words of Jerry Maguire “You had me at hello” – this guy is top-notch friendly. Super smiley and super helpful. We order more drinks and settle our eyes on the oh-so-minimalist single-piece-of-paper menu. This is simplicity just the way I like it. One large piece of A3 paper with only two thirds of it occupied with foodie options and truly there isn’t one dish that I wouldn’t hump-on-down.

We order the Larp Bet ($138) – mixed salad of duck breast, shallots, spring onions and a mint/spicy sour dressing. Tart and tangy, hot and sour, could do with a bit more on the plate but flavor-wise, this is superb.

The Khao Pad ($128) is a heavenly bowl of wok fried rice with crab meat, egg and spring onions.

The Gai Yung ($158) – chicken thigh marinated for 24 lovely hours in garlic, pepper and coriander. We all know that thighs are packed with moisture so these little beauties that have been ruminating and cogitating in a splendid marinade are oozing with flavor and beautifully cooked, hands down my favourite dish of the evening.

Lastly our Goong Golae ($188) arrives – enormous whole tiger prawns smothered in dry red curry and grilled over the fire with pickled ginger and lime. The latter flavours are subtle but determinable and the prawn meat has just literally turned from it’s raw form, thus total perfection.

We pittle around trying to choose another dish and our eager-to-help waiter spots the indecision around the table and recommends some desserts. So we go wild in the aisles and order three; a Thai classic –Khao Niaw Mamuang ($75) – mango with sticky rice. It’s not just the rice that’s sticky but the mango too – it’s juices seeping into the rice making for divine mouthfuls of sweet and savory and their textures are meant for each other.

We cannot resist the Roti Gluay – crispy thai banana pancake, and with a bowl of ice cream on the side - the hot pancake, cold ice cream and squidgy banana we feel like little billy-bloaters in a sweet shop – our spoons head-bumping each other as we simultaneously dive in for more.

I look at the table as we all cradle our bellies. Joining the dots between the décor, the cool staff and even the crockery here I see that Chachawan is not trying to be anything other than its authentic self. “Take me or leave me” I hear the walls saying and I just love the unpretentious-ness here. They aren’t trying to fool the customer with expensive plates, or pretty flowers – just truly great cooking and superb service.

I absolutely LOVE this place and cannot find fault anywhere. From the buzz, to the friendly staff, to the rustic, honest and unpretentious food Chachawan is going to be fed up with me way before I’ll ever be fed up with this joint.

For more Hong Kong restaurant reviews, go to my blog called EAT MY MUSINGS, google it !