“My favourite boutique 'bolt-hole' in HK!”
Review of The Luxe Manor

The Luxe Manor
Ranked #45 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
“My favourite boutique 'bolt-hole' in HK!”
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I travel internationally (from Sydney) at least once a month for work, and am usually put up at international brand five-star hotels - and while I have NO complaints about that (!) when it's time for a little time away for myself I prefer to stay in smaller funkier boutique or designer hotels rather than Yet Another International Brand hotel.

Luxe Manor fits that bill perfectly, and it's quickly become my favourite little personal place in Hong Kong.

The rooms are compact but delightful, and the themed suites amazing. I've found the staff to be efficient and friendly.

The location is perfect for poking around the Kowloon / TST area, and also for getting to/from the airport - catch the airport express from HK to Kowloon, hop onto the waiting K4 shuttle bus and Luxe Manor is the second stop on the short route (after the Mira, which is just up the road). It's a ten minute stroll to the TST MTR station, which in turn is two stops from Central.

If you book in 14 days advance through the hotel's site you can get 15% off the rack rate, too.

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank djsflynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 9, 2010

From airport took the airport bus K to hotel, approx 1 hour nett, location is 5 mins to TsimShatsui MTR and 4 mins to Granville.

The hotel entrance is small that I miss it when I come back after dinner!

Lobby although small, but very cozy.
Check in is a Bliss, the hotel staff are all very friendly and efficient.

Take a look at my room..... I love it!

They even serve cookies! I already got twice servings of cookies in one day... they deliver on their own accord...

Pros : @ good location, yet not on too busy street, friendly staff . Free high speed Wifi within the room.
Cons : No bathtub, although have rain shower, boring breakfast.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank eatshoptravel-etc
Athens
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I have just finished a fantastic weekly stay at the Luxe Manor!
Great experience in the heart of Kowloon, with direct access to everything you may need. Modern decorated, clean, quite rooms (but not with an interesting view from the windows), free wi fi internet in the room.
Unique decoration in all areas, Prepare your photo cameras, as you will love it.
Staff is very kind helpfull and good professionals. Reception and concierge very well organised, provide a real 5* service to guests.
Beautiful restaurant where breakfast is served but variety of the buffet can be improved (nothing changes from day to day and the choices are not enough for a 5* hotel). And the most important: nothing from Chinese delices in the buffet, why? I would really like some chinese tastes for breakfast.
Lovely bar on the 2nd floor, nice music, cool drinks, very reasonable prices and live music a few days of the week.
The area offers variety of choices even if you are a solo traveller, many restaurants, bars, shopping, massage houses (try the Chiba House for a fantastic Chinese massage experience, just 2 minutes walk from the hotel).
The absolute value for money. I would absolutelly reccomend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Luxe Manor is every bit worth its money. It is located around 5 mins from the nearest MTR station. There are many shops located within walking distance of the hotel. Nearby restaurants provide nice,cheap food. There is also a convenience store just next to the hotel. The hotel is wonderfully decorated although abit on the small side. It is also great that they provide free Wi-Fi. The hotel also provides daily tea time snack placed in your room. Also another plus point was that during my trip, my girl friend received a free bottle of wine as it was her birthday.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I booked this hotel because the decor looked funky - it is good to look at but the facilities would best suit people under 5 foot tall. My husband is only just 6 foot tall and he had to sleep diagonally across the bed (not good for me!) We arrived with one case between us and managed to have the room overflowing with our belongings (ie don't even think about buying anything while you're in HKG - there will be nowhere to put it!) Shower recess was so skinny you could barely stand sideways in it. There was so little space that the funky dog statue lamps were cut in half to fit them on the mantle piece! Free internet was a bonus with our deal but the breakfast was a little dodgy. Service in the restauant was also Dali inspired (read - chaotic - who's in charge???). Conversely requests for ice or extra pillows in our room were dealt with promptly. Posistion of hotel is pretty good though with Knutsford Terrace and all its restaurants just behind.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We liked the look of the place just looking on line (in L.A.) for "Boutique Hotels in Hong Kong". But pictures don't convey the spirit of a place, and The Luxe Manor has a great feel. Naturally, "spirit" come as much from the people as from the decor, and because we were somewhat stranded in Hong Kong because of the volcano, which disrupted air travel worldwide, we came to know the people quite well. And THAT was the real pleasure. From General Manager George Wang, and the most gracious Assnt. Manager, Andy Fung, as well as several other staff members, all of whom spoke excellent English, we were not only made to feel welcome, but personally accommodated.

The rooms were extremely quiet. For a change, the bathrooms actually "worked" in terms of function AND style. Breakfast was delicious in a lovely dining room. The terrace street behind the hotel is a hidden tem for evening dining...especially if you're stuck in tourist hell in the Central district across the harbor.

My only wish was that the Luxe Manor had a "public room", like a common lounge...something between ones room and the "must-eat" dining room. The only get-away place was the Dada Lounge, which was more of an evening or happy hour stopping place...or outside the hotel altogether.

As for the personal treatment we received, here are my best examples.

Luxe Manor Kindness #1: Because of that darn volcano, we were feeling at bit "trapped", and naturally wanted the best deal for the eight extra days we were "forced" to cool our heels in Hong Kong. When this dilemma was proposed to the hotel, they matched a much lower rate, so we didn't have to move hotels, and could remain in a preferred area. This also allowed for more personal bonding with staff, and it is, after all, the people who makes any trip a memorable one.

Luxe Manor Kindness #2: I'm a pianist, but had been on the road for three weeks without touching a keyboard. When I asked if the hotel had a piano that I might play during off hours, I was shown into the hotel's way-stylish Dada Lounge, where they not only allowed me to play, but numerous staff members came to listen, and even share their musical talents with me!

In a word, I made friends at the Luxe Manor, and I'd certainly recommend Kowloon generally, over other districts of Hong Kong. Central is a toursit zoo. Causeway Bay is really great, but a little too "close" in terms of the proximity of humanity. Kowloon struck the right balance. And the Luxe Manor, too....just right. Try it; you'll like it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I arrived in Hong Kong separately from my wife who had come in from China ahead of me. My flight from Sydney was delayed an hour, the flight was long and there was a traffic jam coming to the Hotel. Looking forward to greeting my wife at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised when on checking in the concierge - assistant manager Angela Mak said that she was aware that my wife was waiting for me. Not answering the phone Angela took me up to the room to check why there was no answer. Respecting security she checked the room to confirm it was the correct person involved. My wife was out shopping!

Angela immediately arranged for more water for my room and then installed the free wireless internet onto my computer. Her asistance was invaluable.

Seriously, I cannot heap enough praise upon Angela and this hotel. A vey nice hotel in a great location in the heart of things excellent casual restuarants in the same street.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple