“Small room, brilliant location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Alohas Hostel

Alohas Hostel
Ranked #18 of 160 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
“Small room, brilliant location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed in this hostel for 3 nights. The best aspect of this hostel is its brilliant location. As soon as you step out of the building you are on Nathan Road and it is very close to Jordan MTR station exit C1. It is also close to nearby eateries such as the Australian Dairy Company, Mak Man Kee Noodle Shop and Temple street market. Mongkok is within walking distance of the hostel.

We stayed in the twin room with two single bunk beds. We though the room was quite small and cramped. It had one window which did not offer much light. The beds itself were ok, they were quite clean, but too short for a 6ft person. You can also get new clean towels everyday. The bathroom is tiny - the toilet, sink and shower are all cramped into a very small room. You have to shower over the toilet. The worst part was that the bathroom smelled really bad. The ventilator fan didn't seem to work, in fact it seemed to blow some other rooms air INTO ours. I would not recommend staying in the twin rooms because of its size and bathroom.

There are a number of other rooms that we had a quick peek at as they were vacant. The deluxe double rooms or family rooms were a little bigger, were well lit and their bathrooms were reasonable - these rooms were much better than our own! If you book this hostel, you should try for these rooms if they are affordable. The place is manned by one person usually and they are very helpful and speak good English. The hostel seems safe because of their presence and there is not alot of human traffic in the building.

Correspondence was via email. They were very quick to reply and booking the accommodation was a breeze.

Overall, we felt that for the room that we got, it was a tad expensive for a hostel considering we got better accommodation at a hotel for the same price later in HK trip on HK island.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank soulelectriiic
Chris L, Manager at Alohas Hostel, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thanks for soulelectriiic's feedback. It's our pleasure that got your appreciation on
1. Excellent location
2. Friendly and well trained staff
3. Comfort and pleasant environment around the hostel

Refer to your feedback:
- I'm sorry that we are unable to make our rooms bigger. As some other commentary mentioned, Hong Kong is a place full of joy but packed. Despite the high rental, we try everything we could do to provide the best value for our guests. e.g. provide variety of room size and facility for our guests.

- We do have regular clean up and ventilation check. We have contacted our consultants for an ad-hoc inspection. No issue was found. We are closely monitoring the issue and working on various ways to prevent the issue.

- From our record, your stay period is likely to be Fri - Sun. Since the stay periods are different (weekend vs weekday), prices of 2 accommodations may not be directly comparable. As other commentary mentioned, in general, our prices are around 20-30% lower than hotels in the same district.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Quite a new hostel located on the 7th floor of an old building. Hostel has a fabulous location, jus 1 min walk from exit C1 of Jordan MTR. Room was clean but very small. Very near to famous eateries like Tsui Wah & Australian Dairy Co. Staffs were also helpful and we received a box of Godiva chocolates as Xmas gift when we checked in. However as we visited HK during winter, room was very cold. There seems to be gaps on windows which allows cold air from outside to enter the room.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris L, Manager at Alohas Hostel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thanks Mikayla's feedback.

We have reviewed all windows and installed insulation material on few windows. Moreover, we have improved the comforters to double layers which will help to keep our guests warm.

Chatted with our guests. The issue did not happen again.

FYI - We do have extra blankets. Guests may ask our reception if they need one.
Montpellier, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I spent 3 nights in this hostel.
Everything is good in that hostel : the comfort, the price, the cleanliness, the staff friendliness, and the very good location.
However, I experienced a misfortune due to a big problem of management.
Located at the 7th floor of a building, a security guy is posted at the entrance of the elevator. After 11:30pm, the doors to the building are closed, but as the hostel staff told me, a security man is posted 24 hours and would always open the doors if you come back late to the hostel.
But once, I came back at 2 am and there wasn't any security man. So I called the hostel, but the staff on the phone told me they don't have neither the phone number of the security man, nor the phone number of the boss (which is totally nonsensical when you manage a hostel). Then the staff told me if I cannot reach my hostel room, I would have to go to another place for the night. Luckily, there was somebody living in the building who came back to his apartment and opened the door for me. Without him, I would have spent the night in the 24-hour McDonald's.

I suggest the staff of the hostel to cope with this big management problem. Sorry to say that, I feel so disappointed, because it ruined the very good opinion I had for the hostel, even considering the high quality of the hostel in itself.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank CultureMix
Chris L, Manager at Alohas Hostel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thanks CultureMix's feedback. We are sincerely apologize for what you experienced.

Upon investigation, it was a coincidence of 2 issues:
1) The patrolling security guide. The doorman has a regular patrol (~15 min. long) around the building to ensure the safety. It was confirmed that he was in patrol when you returned.

2) Newly trained night-shift staff.The staff who handled the call was having her 2nd night-shift duty. Unfortunately, she forgot the provided emergency contact list, which included our managers’ no. and the management office no.

To prevent the case from happening again, we will distribute the main door key with our room key. We also reminded all night-shift staff for the procedures on handling various issues and escalate to management whenever necessary.

Lastly, thanks CultureMix again on helping us to improve the hostel. We hope to see you again in our hostel and experience our enhanced service.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

First off, I would like to state that I participated in their Facebook contest and won a free 2 nights stay with Alohas hostel. Thanks Alohas! It was a pleasant surprise winning the contest :)

So, a review of the hostel! Its located on Nathan Road and the nearest MTR station is Jordan. You won't miss the big and colorful sign of the hostel from the main road. I feel that the hostel is very well-located, as there's alot of food (tsui wah, hui lau shan, australian dairy company, macs etc) and shopping (temple street night market is a 5 mins walk away) nearby.

Room-wise, due to the space constraints in Hong Kong, might be a little small but personally I'm fine with the size of the room (not too squeezy for 2 persons). My room even came with an attached bathroom + bathtub! (how many hostels have that!) Room is air conditioned as well :) Didn't feel any uncomfortableness in my 4 nights stay there. And the rooms are all different and have different wall designs which are quite interesting!

Would definitely go back to Alohas hostel again if I'm visiting HK! Thanks Alohas for the wonderful stay! :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank junyu89
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I traveled alone when I was in HK. Safety accommodation is very important for me. It's in safety area and the lock sytem of room make me relieved. Location is great, just 1 minute to metro station. Ferry, shopping, restaurant are near by. Sheet is clean, towels smell good, facility is completed, hair dry, high speed wifi...etc. Staff Chris, Jerry, Ryan are helpful and friendly. I'm really recommand this hostel. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bluespotsock
Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I enjoyed my 4 nights here. The location was central to the subway, buses, ferry, shopping and local restaurants. The room was safe, clean and the bed was comfortable. It is located on Nathan Road which is one of the main north/south roads in Kowloon. It was very easy to get here by bus from the airport and Karen gave great directions on which bus to take and where to get off. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Hong Kong.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Jack R
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

The room is smaller than expected but no complaints about the location (possible to walk to TST) and cleanliness. Karen was extremely flexible in allowing me to use the room until 4pm despite the check-out time at noon because there were no guests reserving the room after me. And this was much appreciated! The only con (or pro depending on how you see it) is that the night guard locks the main gate after midnight so you have to wake him to get through to the lift.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo