“Amazing experience, VIP service!”
Review of Catalunya

Catalunya
Ranked #337 of 8,959 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I decided I really need to write a review about Catalunya after our last visit. After an amazing anniversary dinner in September when we tried all the restaurants traditional favorites like their exceptional suckling pig (best in hk, exceptional on any international standards) and lobster risotto we wanted to try out their tapas. Last weekend, my husband and I were having drinks at their tapas bar we felt extremely taken care of even though the restaurant was very busy. The manager served us their new lobster bisque and biscuits which was not on the menu for tasting, it was amazing. We were lucky to get a lounge seating as it was full house and without reservation. The tapas like the bikini sandwich was extraordinary even though it was simple. Will go back again!!!

There are newer reviews for Catalunya

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We went there with a 3 week in advance booking , and big expectation. Had tasted of their signature dishes including roasted sucklingpig. The servig style us unique and entertaining. The flavor is authentic but we were looking for more. There is unfortunately not enough attraction to bring us back again. The lighting and acoustic are really bad. The service staff does not know the food nor wine very well. They are nice lovely people though. The place was designed to be an old farm house with some glam, but somehow the service does not match up to it.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We came for dinner this week. Booking and confirmation was great and when we arrived 15 minutes early I was really impressed that we were whisked from reception to the bar and found seats and poured water immediately as our table wasn't ready (fair enough as we were early). That's where the good service unfortunately ended.

We waited 20 minutes past our table time to be seated. No one came to apologise or explain or offer us a drink. Our table was booked for 9.30 which was already quite late for HK and so sitting down nearly at 10 with no explanation wasn't good.

The food here is exceptional and probably some of the best food we've eaten in HK. However, the service lets the whole experience down. We were 4 people and ordered bread with our first serving of tapas. When 3 slices of bread arrived in the basket, we asked for an extra slice. The maitre d then came to explain that 3 slices is the standard portion irrespective of table size and hence if we wanted more we needed to pay for more. In a restaurant of this quality and positioning we were amazed by firstly the lack of attention to the number of people at the table and portioning and then really amazed by the fact the maitre d chose to challenge us when we questioned this. My friend at this point said that however good the food, the evening was ruined at this point.

Sadly, there were a few instances of this kind of service through the evening. The food sourcing here is exceptional and clearly a lot of money has been spent on the decor. But the restaurant is seriously lacking in staff training that oreintates itself around ht customer and what makes a great dining experience.

We'll come back, but on our own and will eat at the bar, and will see if some of these teething problems sort themselves out.

2  Thank wurlycurly
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Finally I could have dinner at Catalunya Restaurant after so many comments from so many people. As Spaniard living abroad do not usually go to Spanish restaurants as I usually get really disappointed . In this case , I have been pleasantly surprised . Starting with the service! In this case I had a lovely Spanish waitress . Very professional and courteous and smiling ! ! . She explained us the dishes perfectly and made the perfect recommendations. A 10! The sommiller a 10 too! Very helpful! We made a “pica pica” (several tapas), the and the cochinillo (sucking pig). If it were not for the different languages ​​that I heard at the restaurant , I would think I was in Spain , and I say that for the food! The croquettes ... spectacular .I wish in Spain all were as in here! Also we had the tomato tartare . Buenisimo ! The truffle bikini, spectacular ! The truffle cannelloni amazing! It reminds me the cannelloni of my mother in law made​​for Christmas ! Escalibada! Genial! . With a different touch but authentic taste ! And the suckling pig . To me the best of the night! Tender, cooked just right and tasty ! ! Most of piglets I tried in hong kong do not have much taste , but this one did , as in Spain ! Incredible ! ! I have found my little corner of Spain in Hong Kong ! Congratulations to the entire team for bringing us finally Spanish food with real taste to Hong Kong ! ! Definitely I will be back!!!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Catalunya is a rip off. It has very average food and appalling service. Waiters are lazy, avoiding, ignorant and untrained. Sommelier is not a sommelier. Wine list is good. Food and wine prices are high. Dishes are unimaginative, poorly prepared and poor quality. Decor is basic wood and boring and similar to a simple English pub with a very high noise level. Altogether a very, very average experience.....

2  Thank PuiPui2013