“my new found place for dinner in Hong Kong”

YMCA Hongkong The Mall Cafe
Ranked #169 of 8,204 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Manila, Philippines
“my new found place for dinner in Hong Kong”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Whenever I stay in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, I usually take little notice of the YMCA building; although I am aware of its presence. Coming from the Peninsula, on my way to the star ferry terminal, I passed by the Y and made a sudden decision to make a quick trip first to Peking Road. That was when I noticed the exterior entrance to the cafe, along Kowloon Park Drive (see photo); and made a quick scan of the menu displayed by the entrance. The set meals and their prices quickly got my attention (check photo); and I decided to have dinner.

The interior was soothing and warm. The staff was friendly, and I was promptly ushered to a vacant table. I chose the duck set meal that night, and while my main course was being prepared, I made my way to the soup and salad bar. There were two choices of soup that night; and I chose the pork ribs and vegetable soup. The different ingredients and dressings at the salad section was more than enough to make as many variations as your imagination allowed. I had a very satisfying meal with just the very tasty and hearty soup, and my salad. The price of the set meal for dinner allowed for free helpings for salad and soup; as much as you want.

When my duck arrived, I was happy with my choice (see photo). The portion was big; I was actually sorry to have eaten a heavy serving of the salad and the soup. The duck was moist and tender. The vegetable sidings were very good. The sauce was thick, but a bit too subtle for my taste; I craved more salt, which was on hand. Nontheless, even after the heavy meal of salad and soup, I was able to demolish my main course. I was very sated and happy.

I don't know why the cafe wasn't crowded. The meal, and the ambience made it feel like I was eating in a fine dining restaurant of a four star hotel; and not the Y. I had a great, satisfying dinner, with all the salad and soup I could want; all for less than US$20.

This cafe is worthy of being listed in any good restaurant guide.

• Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Good for breakfast”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

There is a great selection of foods and drinks at the lobby of the YMCA. If you're staying at the hotel, you'll also get a good discount.

• Visited December 2013
St. Louis
“Convenient - decent food”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

They give you meal coupons at check in. Food is fine, but remember you're surrounded by restaurants.

Visited November 2013
Vancouver, BC
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The set meal was average, the salad bar was weak and the soup was watery. Spend the money and have the buffet upstairs.

Visited November 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Average”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were in HK when an expected grade 8 typhoon was coming through, and so we had to stay in our hotel (YMCA) that evening. The meal was average, the service only adequate, and it was over priced.

Visited September 2013