“Little piece of France”

Ranked #1,477 of 8,734 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Description: There is nothing better than Les Fils à Maman restaurant experience to plunge you back into theeighties!Behind Les Fils are four childhood friends bring back the good old recipes they enjoyed so much during their childhood, those simple homemade dishes their mothers use to cook for them every day.
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
“Little piece of France”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Love the ambience of the place. Very homely, laid back and quaint - I could imagine being in France. The deep fried Baby Bel was simple but delicious. Don't see the point of all that salad in the jar though. You can only get to the salad once the cheese is finished since the salad is under the cheese, and by the time you have had the cheese, you aren't going to be eating plain green leaves with no dressing.. Maybe they can dress the leaves to make it more enticing, otherwise it will just go to waste.

The rib of beef was good, a touch rarer than I would have wanted. I usually take my beef medium rare and this was on the rare side. I like it where there is a transition from the crusty charred exterior to the firm pink semi-cooked meat near the outside, to a rarer centre. This one was crusty exterior straight into almost raw meat with no in between which made it too cold and a bit boring since there is no variation in the texture. I did not really like the French fries that came with the beef - they were extrememly skinny and were too cooked, so they'd become brown and dry and almost stale tasting rather than the freshly cooked, straight out of the pan, crispy shell with soft mealy centre that I was looking forward to. I wished that they had proper fat chips but I suppose this is a French restaurant after all, and French fries are always a poor shadow of proper English fat chips in my view.

I had a tiny bit of my friend's Boeuf Bourgignon and it was delicious. With perfectly slow cooked, melt in the mouth meat, I wished that I'd chosed that instead.

The dessert was the best part of the meal. I had the Oreo cheesecake and it was heavenly. The right amounts of sour, sweet and creamy in the cheese filling and an amazing Oreo biscuit base!

The wine list was not huge but had a good selection of French wines of a range of prices, apart from the fact that it had no dessert wine, which I found a bit odd given that this is a proper authentic French restaurant. Not a single bottle of Sauternes?

In all, I'd definitely come back here. Would choose other dishes, though, and steer clear of the fries. The price came to HK$900 a head with 3 bottles of wine among the 4 of us including service charge, which is not bad for Hong Kong. The service was really friendly and attentive - nothing to fault on that front.

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
“We feel at home”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Traditional very good French cuisine with friendly staff
We loved the desserts : citron tart and Toblerone creme brulee
We will definitely come back!

• Visited July 2013
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“A friendly and yummy french bistrot in Hong Kong”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We really enjoyed our evening there.Setting was cosy, service friendly, food good and generously served, wine pleasant and rather cheap . A bit of desapointment with some exotic desert based on pumkin and chestnut, but the other dishes and especially "le filet mignon , rubharbe and purée" were quite enjoyable.
A bit tricky to find as the entrance is not directly on Hollywood road but in a smalll path .

• Visited May 2013
London
“Mamam must have had an off day!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Not really sure why everyone is so positive about this place. I went there for dinner with a friend and was not really impressed. There is definitely much better French food in HK than this place. I had a spring chicken which was rather oddly served. Sitting in a pot surrounded by potatoes and a sauce. The chicken was extremely dry and not very tasty. The potatoes was soaked in the sauce which was not terribly flavoursome. My friend had lamb chops. These also looked and tasted dry. The entire presentation of the plates looked lacklustre and unimaginative.

• Visited March 2013
Hong Kong
“My second visit paid off”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The first time I went here I was perhaps not paying attention and had a bit of a hangover anyway, but the second time I went with a crowd and we all had a good meal and good wine. Their Cote de Beouf was charred to perfection, bloody inside, and served with great rosemary-roast potatoes. My starter was a house pate, which was so good I polished off the whole of the generous serving. The staff are French and friendly, the wine list reasonable and good, the setting, on a quiet public square just off Hollywood Road and Peel Street, gives it a great ambience. Go there and enjoy. I did.

• Visited March 2013