“What a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Herbivores - CLOSED

The Herbivores
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located in the heart of Soho, Hong Kong where passionate people love to hang out after a day of stressful work, Herbivores is the city's new face and statement of vegetarian dining. Like the people of Soho, we are an adventurous bunch and thrive on crafting and improving recipes, never letting ourselves be boring.Herbivores is staffed by a young, talented, and dedicated group of energetic employees who truly appreciate the vision of vegetarianism. Coupled with enthusiasm to work with vegetarian food, our goal is to introduce creative vegetarian cooking that will make you gobsmacked!
Shanghai
“What a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I took about 1 hour to find the place, I was just visiting Hong Kong so I didn't know what "Mid-Level" and "Soho" meant, but apparently it's up about 20 escalators and then you need to turn right. The google maps pin of this restaurant is completely wrong (good job management), and when I called the place and told them exactly where I was they told me to go "towards mid-level" and head down some street where I ended up in a quiet alley in the middle of nowhere. Albeit, Hong Kong has a bit of a maze of streets, but it would really help to have good directions and an accurate Google Maps pin.

I passed about 100 restaurants on my journey to this one (recommended as a good vegetarian place by a local), and I'm sure that every one of them would have been better value for money than this place. Maybe the rent is astronomical, but the portion sizes and the US$8 coffees were insulting. If you're going to charge that much, at least make something worth eating. The main course we had was some Arancini (deep fried rice cheese balls) called "Cheese bomb" or something. I used to work in a restaurant that gave these out for free as an amuse bouche, how can it possibly be a main? The coffee was almost undrinkable, I forced mine down because I had paid so much for it, but my mum couldn't do it. Most expensive americano (burnt coffee with a dash of soy) I've ever paid for, especially when we asked for lattes.

The only save for this restaurant was the service. The staff were lovely, and even though they aren't good at directions they served us quite well. Hopefully they will find a great place to work when this place shuts down (hopefully soon).

Please think hard before you go in here, don't be fooled by the wonderful mood lighting, atmosphere and smiles from the staff. You can cook better food in the microwave, and I'm sure for US$50 per person you could probably fill your stomach somewhere else!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank ShaneUllman

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
“Healthy fare but severely overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Healthy well presented food but severly overpriced. The tiny main portions left me leaving dinner still hungry. Wouldnt go back!

Hong Kong, China
“Nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Excited to have a new vegetarian place in Soho. We went with big expectations. The decor is warm with a large picnic style seating arrangement. The staff was pleasant and service was quick. The food was fine. We had the beetroot hummus. I would say the serving size was about 1/4 of cup, no more, with 4 carrot sticks, 4 cucumber sticks and a half of a pita cut into four. The hummus tasted fine but you would have to love beetroot or I wouldn't get it. Felt a little ripped off for $68. Also had the zucchini rolls which were fresh and tasty, a better deal than the beetroot hummus I think. We also had the eggs florentine. Very nice and it was part of a set lunch that included a coffee, tea or soft drink and dessert. The vegan chocolate mousse was excellent. We had a coffee and a mango juice also. One issue we had was that we asked for some water and when we said we wanted tap water, they said they don't serve it and that we had to buy water if we wanted it. We were then told we could have hot water though. We were annoyed. Eventually they did bring us a glass of water after I said I would be writing this on tripadvisor.

• Visited January 2013