“Michelin starred dim sum? Some.”

Tim Ho Wan Sham Shui Po
Ranked #47 of 8,546 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Sham Shui Po
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Michelin starred dim sum? Some.”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Went to this branch instead of the one at Mongkok because the crowds and lines are not as persistent here. True enough there was practically zero waiting time! And the dim sum is amazing. The pork bun is to-die-for! Really. The siew-mai is also worthy of its Michelin star. The other stuff like the har-gaw and the chee-cheong-fun is OK. But certainly, it's worth checking this place out.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
“Better than the central Tim Ho Wan”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

It took me two hours to find this restaurant from Central, but it was worth it! By the time I got there, I was so hungry that I ordered 5 dishes just for myself then had a very uncomfortable night as a result (but I take 100% of the blame for this).

This is great yum cha; it's certainly not the best I've had, but it's very good plus it's cheap and cheerful. It's simple food with about 15 options; it's purely dim sim and you can't get dishes like duck, goose or pigeon. I highly recommend the glutinous rice and space ribs. They're known for their BBQ pork buns, but I can't comment on these because I don't like sweet foods, but they're very popular!

It's dirt cheap, about $50-$100 HKD depending how much you eat (closer to $100 if you've got a big appetite like me).

The service is good and the ambience is average. It's crowded and noisy, but it adds to the charm.

I preferred it to the Central location, but I'm not sure if it's worth the commute from Central because the IFC location is good enough.

Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“5-star pork buns! and solid dim sum”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We visited Tim Ho Wan at around 4pm on a weekday and were seated immediately. We orderd char siu bau (barbecue pork buns) and several other of our favorite dim sum dishes, including cheong fun (beef or shrimp wrapped in rice noodle), siu mai (shrimp dumpling-type things), lo baak gou (fried turnip cake), and lo mai gai (sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves and stuffed with chicken). All were very good, but the pork buns were what must have earned the place its michelin star, as they were amazing. The place is a bit loud, but it was an excellent value for the money and the food was solid. It is worth going just for thr pork buns. The other dim sum was very good, but it could probably be eaten at other dim sum restaurants in HK.

Singapore, Singapore
“Good Dim Sum that no others can compare!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

To get there, take MTR to Sham Shui Po and head towards Exit B2. Once outside, head across the road infront of you and turn right at the next street you meet, Fu Rong Street and head all the way down that street. Along the way you'll pass by shops that sell soft toys, stationery (Pens, pencils, notebooks, etc.) wholesale! Most shops have the same price and items, though some differ slightly. Good place to get gifts for big groups, like children's party!

On to the food. The food is simply, DELICIOUS.
The Char Siew Bao was Unique, with the Bo Luo Bao on outer side and is very fragrant
The Raddish Cake was soft and contained slices of raddish that no other dim sum restaurant I ate had.
The Osmanthus Jelly was really good too.
Pork Liver Cheong Fun was unique and good (Esp for those who like to eat liver!)
The Ma Lai Gao was mind blowingly soft! Better than the one at One Dim Sum.

The rest like Hak Gow and Siew Mai were just soso.

Unlike what everyone said, there wasnt any queue at all and I got a seat IMMEDIATELY.
Even with a group of 5 people and it was at around lunch time (1pm and 2pm). I went on 2 days and it was the same. You can takeaway the dim sum but you will have to pay for the box that they pack it in.

It was also quite cheap, though I don't remember how much.

Note: Be prepared to share your table unless you fill up all the seats at the table.

London, United Kingdom
“Served Good Dim Sum but good price too!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We would like to try out a Michelin 1star dim sum so we were there.

Simply saying the shop lot is quiet old, we been arranged to sit face to the kitchen/passage entrance(exit). Interior layout and table setting wasn't really a Michelin to be honest, therefore we didn't really know what should we expected from the restaurant.

Foods wise, we ordered the "usual" dim sums where we would normally ordered during dim sum session for i.e meat dumpling(siew mai), prawn dumpling(ha gao), shop famous roasted pork bun (char siew bun), malai bun ( malai go), prawn & char siew rice noodles (Cheong fun), lotus leaf glutinous rice( Ho yip fan), steamed spareribs etc.

Total cost hk$325 which was not that bad although it was the lost expensive of one basket dim sum I have ever had in my life!

Have a go and check it out!

1 Thank SummerHeat80

Been to Tim Ho Wan Sham Shui Po? Share your experiences!