“Cool place to stay in Wanchai”

Hotel Indigo Hong Kong Island
Ranked #27 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
New Delhi
“Cool place to stay in Wanchai”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have been to Hong Kong many times, and this was my first experience with such a nice hotel. The reception area is quite simple, but has an attractive colour changing wall at the back. The same wall continues in the lift, which makes it quite different. The rooms are very large by Hong Kong standards. Top it with electric curtains, Bose docking station, Nespresso coffee and a very well stocked mini-bar. All this is just a few minutes walk away from the MTR station as well as a very large number of bars and restaurants. A great place to stay, and look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NatureLoverNewDelhi
Mark I, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Hong Kong Island, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear NatureLoverNewDelhi,

We are thrilled that you found our hotel a great place to stay and we very much look forward to your return in the not too distant future (we hope).

With best regards, Mark.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I've been traveling around the world, many times in hong Kong and macau. I won't forget this hotel, especially after ridiculously I lost my wedding ring next to washing basin. The staff is quite helpful and the police came pretty fast. Just be careful, no place like home.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank tejatony
Dear tejatony,

We very much appreciate your feedback and it is disappointing that we were not able to meet your expectations, as our team have invested every effort in trying to locate your ring and making your stay enjoyable. I do hope that you would give us another opportunity to allow us to show you how committed our staff are to making your stay a happy one. We look forward to another chance to welcome you back in the future.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is probably one of the smartest hotels I've stayed in, and the location is fantastic near Wan Chai station.

From reception it looks like a very unassuming small hotel, small reception, but with a colour changing crystal wall. However once you get in to the funky lift it's all change. Even the corridors are funky!

The room was just brilliant, beautiful mosaic wall behind the bed, which itself is set in the middle of the room in a single engineered piece of furniture that comprises a desk behind the bed and large sofa/tv area.

By Hong Kong standards, in fact any standard, the room was very big. Which is unusual for HK. The bathroom is in the bedroom, open plan style, with a separate cubicle for the shower and one for the toilet. The shower has the most enormous rain water shower head and the toiletries are fantastically expensive! The only thing we didn't like was the opaque glass walled toilet, with open top, it means you have to know your bedroom guest quite well if you're to avoid embarrassment!

Overall though, we loved the hotel, there's a Bose idock, relatively cheap mini bar, electric curtains, dimmer switches throughout and all the little touches that make hotels stand out from the crowd. If we were to return to HK we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JLCD2010,

We are thrilled you like our hotel so much and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to our neighbourhood again in the not too distant future.

Best regards, Mark.
Cheltenham, UK
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I loved this hotel. It's location in Wan Chai is perfect and I loved walking around after dark. Close to loads of shops and bars, it's really one the liveliest areas on Hong Kong Island. Hotel was clean and modern, staff were welcoming and friendly and the food was great. When I return to Hong Kong this is where I will stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mark I, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Hong Kong Island, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Mrs. Sixx96,

Thank you so much for your great feedback and we love that you love our hotel! We can't wait to welcome you back to our neighbourhood.

Best regards, Mark.
Hamburg
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We didn’t want to stay at a regular 1000 rooms hotel again so we chose the Indigo Hong Kong. We were impressed by how friendly the staff and how well designed the hotel is. We got upgraded to the suite due to my platinum status with IHG and we were more than happy with the hotel. Essential but functional design, rooms have nice views over Hong Kong, WIFI is extremely fast and the location in the middle of Wan Chai is awesome. Will definitely stay here again – nice alternative to hotels like Intercontinental or overpriced design hotels like The Upper House. Only downside: As previously posted, the open bathroom concept is not well thought through due to the thin glass walls. Shouldn't be a problem if you are very comfortable with your partner, but as it gives you very little privacy you feel somewhat exposed.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room on the upper floors
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear effrontery,

Thank you for your feedback and the team is so happy to know that you were impressed by our friendliness and design. We look forward to welcoming you back to our neighbourhood.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I like the location and modern decor of the hotel.

Huge problems with the Internet that didn't work at times. Front desk claimed that no problems, but tried both laptops and other devices.

The room works if you are travelling by yourself. The open bathroom concept leaves very little for privacy if travelling with someone else.

Do you really want to listen someone taking a dump in the toilet? There is zero noise/smell insulation.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LoyaltyLobby
Mark I, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Hong Kong Island, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear LoyaltyLobby,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, as we very much appreciate it. It is concerning to note the internet issue you experienced and we will investigate the situation. We also appreciate that the bathroom design may not be to everyone's taste and conversely, I have also had many guests comment that they love it, so we are prepared to receive mixed comments on this design. We certainly hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed here for a couple nights, I dug it. The swank decor resembles a neon-lit nightclub, and the rooms are compact yet cozy, streamlined for hip professionals. My room had a panoramic view of the Wan Chai skyline, and the subway (and seedy bar street) are a convenient 5-minute walk through a colorful shopping street. The buffet breakfast is recommended, replete with fresh yogurt and juice, salmon and brie and baguette, and a home-style omelette bar. The front-desk staff were extremely polite and went out of their way to accommodate me. I've already been recommending this hotel to my friends; 5 stars all around!

As this is a relatively new hotel, I did experience a few growing pains that management should take note of:
1) The construction all around us outside was not very reassuring; hopefully management can persuade them to keep the noise level (and spotlights) down at night.
2) The internet connection is spotty and the log-in system not very efficient.
3) The steam from my shower set off the entire building's fire alarm!!! Apparently nobody thought to install a ceiling fan in the bathrooms, and some genius installed the fire alarm sensor directly above the shower door! After having to get out of the shower in my towel to respond to all the knocking on my door from the security staff, their solution was that I MUST keep the room air conditioning running while bathing. Buy some ceiling fans for the showers, fellas!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear SH_daddy,

Thank you for your very valuable feedback and it's great to know that you are already recommending us to your friends. Regarding your other highlighted points, the external noise is out of our control, but we are constantly checking the internet speed to monitor service levels and we will look to see if we can improve the exhaustion system in the bathroom. Once again, thank you for time to post your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.