“Best cheese cake ever!!”

The Mandarin Cake Shop
Ranked #6 of 95 Bakeries in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Sheung Wan
Polaris, Montana
“Best cheese cake ever!!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Now I truly understand what was all the hype about of this place!! The cheese cake was one of the best I ever had. It has the right texture and moist that melt in your mouth leaving a an after taste making you to want more... I have the craving now even writing about it again!! The place was like a non-stop train station with people flowing in and out just about anytime. Be it local, or tourist, this is definitely one of the "Must visit" place. Oh don't forget to get the Rose Petal jam, it's home made and a nice gift for souvenir!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank tulipanmorado

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
“Love the chocolate and almond croissant”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We had chocolate and almond croissants. They are good especially the chocolate one. It is filled with a thick chocolate chunk and the dough itself is tasty. Tried the chocolate cake which I have forgotten which one as they offer a few selections of chocolate cake. I asked for the most recommended one and I am not that impressed.

• Visited June 2013
Sydney
“Buy the rose petal jam, it's amazing”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had tea and scones with rose petal jam at the MO last year and fell in love with the jam. Unfortunately I couldn't buy any as I only had cabin baggage for that trip and the size of it exceeded the 100ml limit. For the past year I have been dreaming about that jam and finally I was able to satisfy my craving on my return trip this month.

We had some time to spare so decided to sit in Cafe Causette and have tea and scones again (starts at 3pm) - basically everyone tasted the jam and fell in love, and we ended up buying 6 pots between the 4 of us!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank budge185
Hong Kong
“Probably the best croissant in town”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Environment : 8.5/10
Service : 9/10
Value-for-money : 8/10
Overall rating : 8.6/10

The Mandarin Cake Shop is not only famous in its cheesecakes, they also produce one of the best if not the best croissant in town. They have a small dining area with high chairs and tables that you can sit down to enjoy the cakes and drinks you order, probably the most economical way of eating in a 5-star hotel.

a) Croissant ($19) – 9.5/10
They have a few choices of croissants – cheese, almond, chocolate, etc. but a plain croissant is already perfect when it is fresh and made according to the original recipe. The croissant was quite large as compared to those from other bakery, very fluffy with clear layers of filo sheets. Don’t feel guilty about how much butter has been used as it’s an essential ingredient for the heavenly good stuff.

b) Sesame Roll ($30 for set with butter and jam) – 8.5/10
The butter and jam appeared by the croissant should go with this sesame roll. Under normal circumstances, strawberry jam would be served. Upon special request, you could try the special rose petal jam which only goes with the scones produced in the afternoon. Girls would like the jam which was not too sweet and with a fragrant smell and taste of rose.

c) Classic Hot Chocolate ($68) – 8.5/10
This classic hot chocolate was neither too sweet nor thick which was to my liking. The chocolate spoon made by 68% cocoa was more a gimmick but it’s still interesting to see it melts in the vortex. I ultimately asked for a real spoon to stir the melted chocolate at the base of the cup.

Q : When will I go again?
A : Whenever I’m craved for bakery.

Q: What will I next order?

A : The extra bitter dark chocolate drink is tempting. Moreover, you can also grab a baguette or quiche which looks attractive.

05.2013

• Visited May 2013
KL
“Awesome cakes”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had tea at Mandarin Oriental Cake Shop with my wife. We had cappuccino and a slice of opera cake each, as recommended by the staff. Pricey but awesome! Wished that the cake was bigger.

Visited May 2013