“There is potential”

22 Ships
Ranked #20 of 7,917 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Description: The no reservation tapas bar 22 Ships has become one of Hong Kong hottest tables since opening in October 2012 - offering an eclectic menu of modern tapas, served in a buzzy yet relaxed setting, and a dynamic list of sherries, wines, spirits and Spanish beers. Using the best of both European and Asian ingredients, Michelin-star Chef Jason Atherton and 22 Ships’ Executive Chef Lee Westcott bring a modern touch to traditional classics. Westcott, who has strong a Michelin background and has worked with acclaimed chefs such as René Redzepi at Noma, was Head Chef at Tom Aikens Restaurant in London before taking up his role of leading the kitchen at 22 Ships
Hong Kong
“There is potential”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The Place is crowded so I ate on the window, I don't mind... It's kind of informal and nice atmosphere. Menu is not extensive: I loved the cod fish! This was wow! The manchego and jamon toast was tasty also. Tuna tartar ok served with all condiments. The hamachi texture instead was too soft.... Not a great fish on that day.... The squid is cooked very well,I like the black sauce but the squid itself as a product wasnt the best you can find on the market in my view, anyway it was deepfried after all. Hated the crispy bread, ordered sour do, it was better but I don't like places which charge for bread.... It is not me being stingy as I don't mind spending in fact my bill alone was over $800 for lunch and the extra bread is only $8 but charging for bread to me is just wrong... Shall I dip my hands in the sauces???
In any case they don't do pan con tomate also for some mysterious reason.
This are little details that can spoil a little a overall good meal.
As per The staff they dont seams to know what they are serving really and they seems to look around a lot confused. I was also a bit rushed for my bill. At the end most of the food was nice but I would like to see a couple more of real Spanish classics even if revisited. I like the ambiance! I like the location. I didn't enjoy much the service but mainly as they are still inexperienced in my view. If they get the right chemistry going I'd give them a 4 or maybe a 5 in the future, but for now it is only a 3 for me.....I'll give it another go in a month and se how they do.... Maybe I just visited too early.

1 Thank butchHongKong

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Squeeze in for great food”
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We've been here a few times as a couple, and as a group. If you need lots of personal space, this may not be your cup of tea.

As a couple it's been far more enjoyable, as the restaurant can get quite crowded and very noisy - far easier having conversation between just two. We found sitting at the bar more comfortable and fun than at the tables. Not that there is necessarily an option in where you sit; there are no reservations, and from about 6:15pm you will need to join a waiting list.

Food is amazing, and service is very friendly. A couple of really good reds on the wine list. We're addicted to the peppers.

Presentation is nice, but being as the table space is so cramped they really ought to think about more compact set of plates, bowls, trays...

“Best tapas experience in HK”
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

22 Ships is by far the best tapas restaurant I've tried in HK. The tapas are served creatively with a modern twist but yet not like other so-called fusion restaurants which are too pretentious. I liked all the dishes I've tried with the suckling pig and bone marrow being my favorites.

The downside is that there is no reservation, so please go very early to grab your seat. Restaurant opens at 6 for dinner but I heard people starts arriving at 5.30.

London, United Kingdom
“great food”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

You can't reserve here and it gets very crowded but it's worth a wait for the food which is wonderful. This is really creative western cooking and good value (though not for those who are after quantity rather than quality.)

Visited November 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Outstanding tapas style dining”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I'll start my review by saying that the only reason I didn't give this restaurant 5 out of 5 is because of the atmosphere / seating arrangement ... it's small and cramped ... but the food is outstanding and it's worth propping yourself up at the bar to enjoy it. We ordered about 5 or 6 dishes which really should have been enough but we are greedy and the food was delicious so the temptation of other diners' food passing by made us add on another dish and then some dessert ... it is tapas after all.

It's a unique set-up with dishes being assembled right in front of you at the bar, similar to a sushi counter. It really does get your appetite going too. Because the chefs are right there in front of you, we found the service was fantastic as well ... not only were we getting wonderful food and a "show" but they were also able to gauge how many dishes to give you at once and when to stop bringing the food to allow you finish what you've got in front of you before presenting the next round.

Can't wait to get back there because there were several other dishes we want to try but just couldn't fit in ... and ones so good we'll be having them again.

I would guess it's best to go early since they don't take reservations and it's small. I thought we were lucky to grab the last couple of seats at the counter when we arrived around 6:30 because there were people waiting not long after.

• Visited November 2012