“What a hidden gem!”

Ranked #434 of 9,285 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Central
Description: We are a late night restaurant and bar focused on food mainly from Mexico City. Not the type that you find in every city… the complete opposite in fact. We pride ourselves that our food features healthy options, small bite size items, loads of variety and it all comes together on an eclectic menu. But Brickhouse is more than just amazing food, just as important are the drinks, service and that we are in the dining room meeting and talking with you late in to the night…At Brickhouse we believe it’s the raw fundamentals that makes food exciting in the first place; great ingredients, sensible and simple preparation cooked by people who care. The best ingredients will always be in style. Brickhouse is transporting Mexico City’s diverse cuisine into dishes and drinks with explosive and addictive flavours to surprise your senses. Brickhouse is a simple feel good sanctuary to eat, drink and hang out all night long.Awards: - Best New Restaurant -- Sassy Awards 2013 (Brickhouse)- Best Restaurant for Dinner -- Sassy Awards 2013 (Brickhouse)- Foodie Forks Awards - Readers' Choice, Best New Restaurant (Brickhouse)- Best Restaurant -- Asia Tatler 2013 (Brickhouse)- Best New Restaurant -- Eat & Travel Guide 2013 (Brickhouse)- 4/5 stars -- HKMag July 2012 (Brickhouse)- Highly recommended by Chinese celebrity food critic, Susie Wong (Brickhouse)- 'Best post-party munchies in town...' --- Prestige August 2012 (Brickhouse)- Mexican Consul General's foodie faves -- Baccarat HK September 2012 (Brickhouse)- 'Tacos get elevated to gourmet heights at Brickhouse...' -- Where Magazine October 2012 (Brickhouse) - '...Brickhouse, by this very definition, is the epitome of cool." -- HKMag December 2012 (Brickhouse)
Reviewed February 7, 2013

An excellent mexican place in LKF that is hidden down an alley with no name or signs... They don't take reservations so you need to find a friend that knows the way. This place is the real deal!

1  Thank puchvn
Sarah V, Public Relations Manager at Brickhouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Hi puchvn,

Thanks for your review! Hopefully we'll see you here again soon, as now you know where to find us!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Been there twice in the last six months, get there early a bring a small group of friends, wouldn't recommend for groups greater than 4. Street corn, watermelon (with chili) and beet fries are terrific. Ribeye tacos are tremendous. The cocktails vary widely, Pisco is good and the Cubano is only for those who like drinking tobacco flavored booze. My group didn't but others may. On the expensive side but good buzz and staff is as attentive as they can be in such a packed place. If you want to pass on Asian food for the night or just grab some drinks/light snacks, head to Brickhouse.

Hi TokyoQ Q,

Thanks for the review! We're glad you've decided to come back and would love to invite you again for a third time round. Regarding cocktails, we have some new ones you may be interested in trying, not as strong but just as inviting!

Third time's a charm, see you soon!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

When people ask me what I miss of home, it's a no-brainer: mexican food.

I've been there twice, and it has been very good on both occassions, maybe a little room for improvement (pun intended).
Pros:
1. Good food all around. Favs are the corn, peruvian ceviche, ribeye tacos, and the margaritas. Also liked some of their speciality drinks (spicy vodka drink, "diablo something" was good)
2. Did I mention the food...

Alright:
1. Ambience is cool. Nothing special I would say though, but pretty cool to walk down a dark alley into their small carved-out niche.
2. Service. Maybe a little better than alright. We had a few misunderstandings but we felt pretty well taken care of.
3. Small menu. Sounds like a "con", but what they do, they do very well. Not it sounds like a "pro", so this get's an "alright".

Cons:
1. Tight space. Everyone has said it, I will also. It's crowded, especially on the weekends. Be prepared to be bumped (welcome to HK).
2. It's expensive. Last time me and my gf went, it was $600HKD per person. Now granted, we were out with friends on a Saturday nite with little (to no) regard to cost, but $1200 for tacos and margaritas...a bit extreme (welcome to HK).
3. No reservations. The front door is a bit of a downer. Everytime I go, I feel slighted by this person, instead of welcome to our restaurant.

All in all, it's fun once in awhile with friends, but with the crowds and the expense, it's gonna have to stay once in awhile...

2  Thank Jlengel

Hi Jlengel,

Thank you for you very detailed review! The positives and negatives definitely would help us improve on how we can make experiences for our costumers memorable.

Space does get tight over the weekend, but we would suggest coming down on a weekday, possibly try our "Green Monday" (specially serving vegetarian dishes with candle light ambience to save the earth!). Our girls by the door has gone through a little training and will be smiling when you walk in ;)

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was brought here by a friend of mine and was in heaven. I love good Mexican food and this answered my craving. Had the pork tacos, the fish tacos and a side of organic corn nachos. Loved all of it and will definitely go back if I'm in Hong Kong again. The drinks are creative and tasty as well.
Great vibe (very packed and still managed to give efficient, friendly service) and loved the clunky/quirky decor of the place. Highly recommended.

Hi JauiPop,

Thank you for your review! Glad the dishes satisfied your craving for Mexican dishes, hopefully you'll be back in Hong Kong soon & visit us!

See you soon!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

The whole "no reservations" policy bothered me until I actually dined there and saw that Brickhouse's no muss, no fuss, no pre-tense of the Mexican street-style food totally suited the laid back atmosphere.
The Witches brew is to die for; LOVED all of the tacos - the fish one in particular and not to be missed is the Mexican style sweetcorn which oozes flavour with cilantro and cheese... mouth watering!!
The wait for a table also isn't as bad as it seems... prop yourself up at the bar or on the seats outside and nurse the amazing (and STRONG) cocktails - my fave is the Cubano. The tequilas are also extremely smooth - jose cuervo this ain't!
I'd definitely go back and definitely recommend Brickhouse to out of towners and locals alike.... the food and drink is worth the wait and is a welcome addition to the somewhat stuffy "fine dining" scene in HK.

1  Thank Aa C

HI Aa C,

Thank you for your review and deciding to give us a chance! We have 2 new ceviches just like the witches brew, come down and try them out! Our Cubano cocktail is still a favourite as well as our tequila shots, happy you like our selection!

See you soon