“Not Bad but Not Great”

Mini Hotel Causeway Bay Hong Kong
Ranked #166 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Let me preface this review by stating that the front desk staff was wonderful and the manager we dealt with was extremely helpful. They deserve to work at a much better property than this.

It's obvious that this building wasn't originally intended for use as a hotel because the setup is, quite frankly, a little goofy. The first floor entrance to the hotel was nothing more than a super narrow hallway, at the end of which was a little fold up table and chair that was used by a hotel staff person to "monitor" who was coming and going in to the hotel (I won't even call him a security guard because he wasn't there all the time). Just off this hallway were two small, old elevators, only one of which actually takes you to the lobby, which, annoyingly, is located in THE BASEMENT. Once we finally got down to the basement the front desk staff was friendly, efficient and helpful. As shown in travelers’' photos, the lobby is cool and lounge-y but that vibe does not translate to the guest rooms.

Our room didn't have much except for two double beds, a small table, chair, and a wine fridge which didn't work. The extreme compactness of the bathrooms has already been extensively documented on this site so I won't add anything else other than to say that, yes, it was ridiculously cramped. As we were unpacking I noticed several small ants crawling on top of the sheets of one bed and the curtains behind it (the other bed was fine). We reported this to the front desk and a maintenance person was sent up very quickly. However, all he did was scrape his nail across the ants (killing them). Fortunately the manager showed up soon as this was unfolding. I explained again what the problem was and he was extremely apologetic about the situation. The manager then told us that we were being moved and upgraded to a different room. We were moved to the top floor into a very large room with 4 twin beds. He asked that we have a look around to make sure it was acceptable. This room was wheelchair accessible and the bathroom was very spacious. However, the sink was beyond ridiculous-----it was super, super tiny (absolutely Hobbit-sized! It was like a bathroom version of a bar sink) and positioned unbelievably low (it came to just above my knees and I’m 5’5). The mirror over the sink was also so low that my husband had to sit on a chair at the sink and stoop just to see himself shaving. Even someone in a wheelchair would need to stoop to use the sink and there was no hot water at the sink (there wasn’t a designated hot water tap either). I was also annoyed that, despite having put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door one day, the housekeeper still came in and attended the room while I was out. What was the point of putting the sign up if the staff isn’t going to respect it?

The rooms and sheets are all done up in white and there were safety bars by the windows at the level of where a headboard would be that made the room like like one in an asylum. The hotel is situated in a great location close to Times Square and Lee Gardens but that’s about it. The hotel facilities are satisfactory, but it really isn't a property to which we would return.

Here’s a summary of the pros and cons of our experience at the Mini Hotel Causeway Bay;

Pros
• Amazing front desk staff and manager---they were very helpful and proactive in finding a resolution to our complaints about the ants and they exemplified high standards of customer service.
• Conveniently located near Times Square and Lee Gardens
• Good wi-fi connection

Cons
• Lobby is inconveniently located in the basement
• Minimal to no hotel security (the one person at the fold up table on the first floor was not always there so anyone can literally walk off the street and get into the elevator up to the guest rooms)
• Ridiculously small bathrooms in the regular rooms and equally ridiculously low positioned sink in the penthouse wheelchair accessible room
• NO closets or drawer space----only a few coat hooks are provided for hanging clothes up. No hangers provided.
• No temperature regulation----there was a thermostat in our room but it didn’t appear to work. It was cold in our room and we could still feel the fan blowing even after we had apparently turned it off.
• The “safe” provided for valuables was located in a mobile nightstand. It didn’t exactly instill confidence in the security of our valuables to know that the entire nightstand could just be wheeled out of the room in the event of a theft.
• Ants found on bed in first room----I’d like to think this was not the norm for this hotel because our new room did not have any problems with mites and neither did our other travel companions in their rooms.
• Only 2 small elevators for entire hotel
• Mediocre housekeeping---there were clumps of hair in the bathroom from a previous guest. Housekeeper also doesn’t respect the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here, then choose a higher floor to get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DiscerningDiva

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised when I got to Mini Hotel in Causeway Bay. It's a nice boutique hotel in a nice community. The rooms are larger than a lot of hotel rooms in Hong Kong, so that's definitely a plus.

Our room had a separate door for the toilet and a separate door for the bath, all frosted glass. You can hear everything that happens in the toilet, and I mean everything! When you close the toilet door, you get a sneak peak of the room and vice versa. So if you're looking for privacy, you'll probably need to get your own individual room. If your legs are a bit longer, you won't be able to close the toilet door. The shower, thank goodness, is big, but you need to angle the shower head to one side so you don't get water flowing out of the sliding door. There are hanging hooks outside the shower for your clothes.

If you have allergies, especially if you have asthma, make sure to ask about the pillows. The ones we had were feather pillows, which probably triggered an asthma attack. When I asked if they had foam pillows, they could only give me one. Also, when we turned on the air conditioner, that seemed to trigger another coughing spell almost immediately.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Pamela J
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I heard about this Hotel from my friend. I was looking for a hotel with spacious room and can accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids age 9 and 7. The room is very spacious but the bathroom is very small. There are 2 beds, single and twin bed, so our family can sleep well. The location is near the shopping area in causeway bay (Hysan Place, Lee garden, Time Square, Boutique Shops, Uni qlo, etc), in front of Bentley Showroom. There are also restaurant next to the hotel and 3 minutes walking distance to Starbucks. The most important thing is the Hotel location near MTR Causeway Bay Exit F, bus stop and also taxi stand in Lee Garden Malls. The decoration is very unique and one of the best I've seen so far if you like a minimalist and modern decor. The staff is friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again if you are traveling more than two people.

Room Tip: There are rooms with terrace in lower floor. Ask a room with a bigger bathrooms if available, since...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My expectations weren't particularly high after reading the reviews here, but a friend recommended this hotel and I gave it a try. I was overwhelmed with the courtesy and service extended by the staff of the hotel. Right from the security and support staff to the reception, they are well-trained and helpful.

The lobby feels like an art lounge and the room I had was stylish with great decors of black and white framed photos of Europe and a wooden flooring. I also had a nice view.

The location is also convenient and the Causeway Bay MTR station is just around the corner. In case you have difficulty finding it, just ask for the Bentley showroom off Lee Gardens road

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 20th floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

It took me a long time to search and finally book a hotel for my recent trip to HK. I was looking for a hotel which can accommodate family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids). The pricing for this festive seasons were extremely high. They are all beyond my budget.
Most main stream hotel will request that you book 2 separate rooms. So this option comes handy.
This boutique hotel is located not far from the buzz of Hysan place yet tugged in a relatively quiet lane near lee gardens. Walking to the MTR exit F is just under 5 min.
The lobby is located at the basement. The decoration and furnitures are a mixed of electic chic and mid century modern. Totally love it. With the Christmas ornaments and aroma mist, it makes you feel so relaxed and at home. In fact, every spot is a photography's opportunity. The brainchild behind this must be pretty stylish I think.
Actually I was rather apprehensive about the room as it stated as 14 sqm in the web. However, clever planning makes the room quite functional and 4 of us do not feel claustrophobic at all during our stay there. One double and one super single was provided. It would have been better if it's 2 double. Oh well, we survived nevertheless.
The hotel staff are not overly friendly but they are generally polite and even mannered unlike most service staff we met in HK who were either loud or inpatient.
They have family room for 5 persons which are hard to come by in HK. Would highly recommend to anyone travelling with a bigger family.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MandyK4
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Finding a decent hotel in Hong Kong that doesn't break the bank is quite a feat. Fortunately you're in luck. The Mini Hotel in Causeway Bay is just that. I stayed here in May for a very short stopover with my family in Hong Kong. It was perfect for what we needed. We was greeted by very friendly staff who managed to make my son and his mom comfortable while I completed the very quick check-in before we was escorted up to our room.

Everything in the room was fine.. It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be and everything was immaculately clean. It's a short walk to the tubes and buses, has plenty of small local eateries and 7-elevens.

Perfect for our short stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Much like its name, the hotel is indeed very mini- but in a quaint sort of way. This is a usual in Hong Kong, as land is fully utilized and architecture gets tricky to fit in. Many hotels are quaint in order to fit in.

The hotel, I hear has been newly renovated lately (Dec 2013). It now has an underground lobby where you check in and out. Here, it is furnished and decorated with a very homey feeling, as if you can just plunk there and chill for hours.

Right outside the ground floor entrance is a public bus stand. The location of Mini Hotel Causeway Bay is great, as it is surrounded by many shopping malls and busy streets selling lots of things at night. Taxis are also conveniently accessible across the road at Lee Gardens area. p/s a lot of really sweet rides are always parked right outside the hotel street; if you love cars, you will be treated with visual orgasms every morning!

The service we had was great, it was raining on the day we had to check out but the staff there (bell boy? not sure) was helpful enough to run across the road to get us taxis and help us carry our big heavy bags in the rain.

One of the really bad things that we experienced there though, was the water for the shower. On the first day, there was no water to shower at about 8 plus AM! After that, it was okay for about a week, and on the last day, there was NO HOT WATER! It was really bad for us because it was cold enough in Hong Kong, and we didn't want to shower in ice cold water. Hope it was just a temporary thing.

No restaurants, no pool. Perfect for a quick stop for busy days in the city where you only want to go to sleep, before your next adventure in the city the next day. Worth it, as hotels in Hong Kong are pricey.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family