“Life threatening experience”

Ranked #150 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
“Life threatening experience”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Without much expectation, we entered mini hotel thinking it was a nicely decorated urban “boutique” hotel. Check in was normal, with no difficulties. Then we had our first elevator ride. First, the elevator and the floor were not level, and the ride did not go up smoothly, we encountered rough stops on the opening floors.
When we were leaving the building for food, we waited for quite a long time, for the elevator did not stop at our floor. Luckily we saw the room keeper who told us that we had to press the “up” button to get the elevator to our floor. The series of events have raised initial precautions in our minds.

We came back from dinner, not knowing to experience what I would consider one of the scariest moments of my life. As usual, the elevator went up choppy, and then it hit our floor. The door tried hard to open itself, but did not, instead the door closed and elevator quickly descended to the lower floors. We had to press a floor to stop the drop, and it did stop, but the door was still stuck. We had to manually open the door with the button, and quickly stepped out.
Immediately we found the staircase and walked down straight to the front desk. We explained our story to the manager and asked for a room change to a lower floor where we could use the stairs. Manager guaranteed the safety of the elevator and said there were never issues with the elevator in the past. He even said he uses the elevator every day, and the choppy stops are normal. I was amazed that he even claimed that none of the other guests from the same floor have complained. He then told us there are no rooms available for the lower floors, and we are not able to get refund for our room. Then a phone call came in to tell him that the reason for the door not opening is because there was a candy wrapper stuck in the door, and the problem is solved now. These guarantees and promises did not make us feel better, and it is ridiculous how bad he handled the situation. The basic “customer service” was not met, we felt outraged and upset.
While we were discussing what to do amongst ourselves, and browsing for other hotel options, the manager said a family room opened up on the first floor and asked if we would like to stay there. Only now did he offer us some type of compensation.
Overall, we did not like how the hotel handled the situation. Cannot believe we had to deal with a rude and incompetent manager after feeling life threatened. Truly hope that no one else will go through what we have experienced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JennyP214

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed October 5, 2013

It was my first trip and first time in HK with the family so I really planned for our stay there. At the time I was looking for hotels this was rather new and not popular in TripAdvisor. It was the hotel I picked because it's a 5 min. walk to the Causeway Bay train station, and only this hotel offers a family room that fitted my budget. The hotel is not so great when seen from the outside, but when you get inside it is really nice. The staff can speak in English well so it wasn't hard for tourists like us to communicate. They were very accommodating. The room I picked had two bedrooms. The sheets were new, the room was clean and spacious. There was a television but most channels are in Cantonese language. I wished there were English channels as well. Only the bathroom is very, very "mini". Luckily I am very petite so it wasn't a problem for me, but it was for my companions. The area around the hotel has some stores and food stalls so getting hungry is not a problem. Lots of 7-11 stores around. Overall me and my family loved our stay here and if we were to go back we'd choose this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We booked this hotel because of the positive reviews, and were looking for a basic hotel that was not too pricey to stay at for 2 days in Hong Kong. Because we booked during a holiday week, the room seemed too expensive for what it was, but it was functional. Twice we asked for recommendations for restaurants and directions, but were given unclear information (albeit by courteous staff). So, we were not particularly satisfied with our stay in terms of customer service and value for money. But the main dissatisfaction of our visit, was that we were charged twice for our room. The full amount was charged upfront when we made our booking, and then again we were charged upon checking in at the hotel. We have been on the phone with the hotel for some time trying to clear up this problem; meanwhile the money for 4 nights, not two, has left our account and we are running up charges on international calls. Next time I'll pay more for a hotel with more dependable accounting!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Stay here for 2 nights. We got upgraded to a pation room with a nice patio. The size of the room is actually very decent just the bathroom is VERY tiny.

Easy access to time square and all the other shopps in CWB. Not to far from MTR station.

The down side.. TV channels are VERY limited. No English channels AT ALL!!!!!
Hotel lobby in the basement where not accessed by elevators.

• Stayed September 2013
Shanghai, China
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel is really clean, modern and offers big room (really rare for HK).
Just few minutes walking from Times Square and from metro station Causeway Bay
The only negative thing is the elevator, was very slow and there was only one working, the other one was out of service.
But i definitely recommend this hotel even though it's a bit pricy

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here after moving from other Hotel in TST. Actually I booked this hotel because of its price. I had to check out very early to catch my flight so I don’t want to spend too much. But now I’m glad that I chose this “mini” hotel.

Well, when choosing a hotel, the most important things for me is the location and cleanliness, and this hotel definitely meet my expectation.

Location : Can’t be better. 6-7 mins from MTR (or 15 mins if you slow as turtle). I need more than 30 mins each time to back/forth to MTR because there’re so many interesting shops along the way :). It centrally located in shopping area yet far enough from crowd. And for “insomnia” people like me, don’t worry, there are few food stalls nearby open until midnight -02 am. What surrounding is already written previously by other.

Room : Mini lobby, mini elevator, mini corridor, but thanks God they are generous with the rooms. Clean, Neat and spacious (HK term). Our room comes with 1 queen and 1 single bed. No wardrobe but who cares, I only need a few hook / hanger anyway. It doesn’t have ceiling (to give more space?), only drop ceilings (to cover the concrete beams I think), but don’t worry, it comes with style so you won’t have a feeling like in a warehouse.

Lobby : Nicely decorated. During my stayed (July), there was a renovation works on the ground floor, so we must check-in on 1st floor which is too small. I can’t imagine if, let say 5 rooms meet altogether with their luggage while checking-in and out. I think the renovation already done now and it’s gonna be much more comfortable. The good thing was: I didn’t hear any noise or vibration at all.

Amenities : 42” LCD, Mini fridge, safe, reading lamp, and a boiler but with no free coffee or tea sachets. So prepare by yourself or go to nearby Starbucks instead.

Bathroom : Enough for do the basic needs. But as previously mentioned here, the space between toilet bowl and the glass door is way too tight. I’m 175 cm Asian and exactly “fit” within that space. So you must below than this, otherwise you must do your daily in style (sideways won’t be that bad) :). About the frosted glass shower wall, we somehow only see a bit silhouette so not a problem with us, but maybe it would be if travel with friends. Cons : water pressure, too weak. I don’t know whether it’s due to our higher floor or not.

Facilities : mmm… that’s hard. What facilities?? Oh, Free Wifi, and… the elevators, two small elevators but at least they can take you up and down safely.

Staffs : Not friendly nor rude, just okay. A bit smile will be better.

All in all, we satisfied. It is one of a few hotels that can afford 3 ppl or more in Causeway Bay. All written above vs price = Great deal!!

Tips :
For more privacy, simply turn off the light inside the bathroom so one's shadow couldn't fall onto the frosted glass. In other word : no silhouette anymore.

Room Tip: Higher floor = less noise