“Great Location, Too Bad About the Food and Service”
Review of Libertine

Libertine
Ranked #6,983 of 8,973 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Libertine is French bistro located in Central's SOHO district, the heart of Hong Kong's restaurant and night life area. The kitchen serves a menu of traditional Bistro classics and French wines by the carafe and bottle along with a range of signature cocktails.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The place looks great and has the genuine feel of a French bistro. My cultural attaché and I went to brunch on a Sunday having heard nothing about it, because Libertine opens a half hour before most other places in Soho. We were the first customers. The waitress acted like we were bothering her and sniffed when we declined bottle water in favour of "just water". I would have left then but for the location. Two little glasses of water arrived. The menu is limited-normally a good sign. I ordered eggs Benedict and a side of bacon. Justine ordered French toast. Two coffees. The coffee was weak. Sigh. Her order came way before mine. When mine arrived it looked like a child's portion. Where did they get eggs that small? Trying to get more water meant interrupting the loud Tagalog conversation in the corner. The service was indifferent and the food was overpriced. Under the right management, this could be a great place. Let me know when that happens.

There are newer reviews for Libertine

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Been here when they just opened and let them off with being disorganized as it was their first week, so we went back for breakfast. As usual when we just walk past,it was empty!
Offered water and you get one glass, normally topped up without asking! Food was forever in arriving and then one of my pet hates, my wifes arrives before mine. in fact she has nearly finished when mine arrives!
Prices are way over the top - eggs benedict $148 and elsewhere from $85 to $110.
My full brekky was $128 - hope you like mushrooms with your garlic. Why do places insist on putting garlic on breakfast food? Does it taste that bad?
I predict this place will be closed within 6 months.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I felt compelled to write after an awful brunch at Libertine yesterday. The decor is lovely and reminds you of a Parisian cafe - but apart from that there was little else that gives me much positive to write about. The coffees were weak, tasting of just warm milk, the fried eggs were undercooked, the sausage was anaemic, the butter was congealed after melting and being refrigerated. We complained about the coffees which were replaced. The rest of the food was so consistently poor that we just wanted to leave and get on with our weekend break.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have stumbled over this restaurant recently during the Artwalk. That the whole restaurant has been empty should have been warning us. The decor of the restaurant is really nice and even the restrooms look nice. The service despite an basically empty restaurant has been poor e.g. I have been asking three times for more bread before it finally arrived. The food has been rather poor and it took relatively loog to arrive. the portions were small and not too well prepared. When finally the bill arrived we were negatively surprised about the total amount. Clearly won't go there again.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This restaurant is easily and genuinely the worst restaurant I have been in throughout my 4 years in HK. in fact I may well be the worst dining experience of my life. I was absolutely shocked by what was put in front of us and all the more so given that the interior looks so welcoming and is salivating at the prospects of very delicious French fodder. The menu is not exactly extensive, so again one could realistically expect quality in terms of the dishes. Alas no. I ordered a croque monsieur and my boyfriend ordered the beef ragu. The Croque Monsier was HKD$110 and the french fries cost extra. It was 2 slices of soggy bread from Wellcome (or similar) with cheap ham in the middle and slathered and drowning in the most revolting melted cheese I have ever had the misfortune to ingest. The presentation was appalling - just that miserable offering on a white plate with a pinch of morose looking greenery. My boyfriend's ragu arrived in a similarly dejected state. It was immediately obvious that the mince was the cheapest they could find, the penne was practically crumbling from sogginess and I personally would not give it to a dog. The french fries in fairness were delicious. We had 2 diet cokes and the bill came to $445 which is an absolute disgrace given the quality (or distinct lack thereof) of the food. I complained to the manager who was very polite, appeared vaguely shocked and promised to let the chef know....but no discount was offered. The next day I went to Press Room (an old favourite) on Hollywood road and decided to try the croque monsieur there. It was absolutely delicious - $98 including fries and an all round vastly superior dining experience. The only positive thing about Libertine is the fact that it was a sunny day and that it is a lovely space, but they need to sort out the quality of the food asap - it truly is unbelievable..........