“Poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Libertine

Libertine
Ranked #6,103 of 7,917 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Libertine is French bistro located in Central's SOHO district, the heart of Hong Kong's restaurant and night life area. The kitchen serves a menu of traditional Bistro classics and French wines by the carafe and bottle along with a range of signature cocktails.
London
“Poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I felt compelled to write after an awful brunch at Libertine yesterday. The decor is lovely and reminds you of a Parisian cafe - but apart from that there was little else that gives me much positive to write about. The coffees were weak, tasting of just warm milk, the fried eggs were undercooked, the sausage was anaemic, the butter was congealed after melting and being refrigerated. We complained about the coffees which were replaced. The rest of the food was so consistently poor that we just wanted to leave and get on with our weekend break.

• Visited June 2013

Singapore, Singapore
“nice decor but the rest...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have stumbled over this restaurant recently during the Artwalk. That the whole restaurant has been empty should have been warning us. The decor of the restaurant is really nice and even the restrooms look nice. The service despite an basically empty restaurant has been poor e.g. I have been asking three times for more bread before it finally arrived. The food has been rather poor and it took relatively loog to arrive. the portions were small and not too well prepared. When finally the bill arrived we were negatively surprised about the total amount. Clearly won't go there again.

Hong Kong
“Gobsmackingly appalling”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

This restaurant is easily and genuinely the worst restaurant I have been in throughout my 4 years in HK. in fact I may well be the worst dining experience of my life. I was absolutely shocked by what was put in front of us and all the more so given that the interior looks so welcoming and is salivating at the prospects of very delicious French fodder. The menu is not exactly extensive, so again one could realistically expect quality in terms of the dishes. Alas no. I ordered a croque monsieur and my boyfriend ordered the beef ragu. The Croque Monsier was HKD$110 and the french fries cost extra. It was 2 slices of soggy bread from Wellcome (or similar) with cheap ham in the middle and slathered and drowning in the most revolting melted cheese I have ever had the misfortune to ingest. The presentation was appalling - just that miserable offering on a white plate with a pinch of morose looking greenery. My boyfriend's ragu arrived in a similarly dejected state. It was immediately obvious that the mince was the cheapest they could find, the penne was practically crumbling from sogginess and I personally would not give it to a dog. The french fries in fairness were delicious. We had 2 diet cokes and the bill came to $445 which is an absolute disgrace given the quality (or distinct lack thereof) of the food. I complained to the manager who was very polite, appeared vaguely shocked and promised to let the chef know....but no discount was offered. The next day I went to Press Room (an old favourite) on Hollywood road and decided to try the croque monsieur there. It was absolutely delicious - $98 including fries and an all round vastly superior dining experience. The only positive thing about Libertine is the fact that it was a sunny day and that it is a lovely space, but they need to sort out the quality of the food asap - it truly is unbelievable..........

Hong Kong, China
“Try the Macaroni and Cheese!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stumbled upon Libertine recently. Great music and atmosphere. It wasn't as busy as the rest if the restaurants in Soho. Food and wine were both fantastic. Mac and cheese was amazing and the meat board was delicious. A little pricey but well worth it.

London, United Kingdom
“Very Poor Food, Balanced only Slightly by OK Service and Decor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Having had very mediocre brunch here a few months back, I decided to give Libertine another chance. I went basic. Onion soup was mediocre -- flavor fine but presentation was lacking (sad floating crouton, soggy, not caramelized cheese), basket of bread was reheated day-old or frozen bread, which was dry and tasteless. The butter, remarkably tough to mess up, appeared to have been sitting out all day (not just soft but congealed on the surface), and was contaminated with blue cheese flavor (I hope that's what it was; a flavor I normally like when expected). The house white wine was quite bad -- not interesting or flavorful. Only saving graces...the solitary server/bartender/hostess who struggled to tend to the four occupied tables (out of maybe 40 tables at 8:00 on a weeknight) was proficient and the decor was fine.

• Visited February 2013